Oxygen Sensor

:blink: Hi, just had my O2 Sensor replaced at the local Lexus dealer for about $250. They told me that was the cause of the check engine light coming on. Is this a common thing on a 9 year old 108K mile Lexus? Hope they didn't rip me off. Not sure about this dealer, they already got me for $800 on the air conditioner 2 years ago. What do you think? Thanks.

My check engine light came on about 6 months ago as well. I took it to a mechanic (not the dealership - they charge way too much) to check it out on one of the computer scanners. He told me what the problem was - O2 sensor. Mine is a '97 with 68k miles on it. Anyway, after I paid the mechanic $50 to tell me what was wrong, I got the part from a Napa dealership and repaired at home. Total cost was around $100. Bottom line - try to stay away from the dealership if possible. Right now, I have a mass air flow sensor for my car, that turns out I didn't need after all and can't return it because it was a special order item. That's $200 down the drain unless I can find someone who needs one.

I don't know why, but Lexus' O2 sensors are very high priced.

But yep, sounds about right according to what other people had posted. Next time, try pricing this out at a Toyota dealership first. Maybe a C-note less.

My old 93 Bonneville SSEi had one and it was $30 to fix it.

I can't wait for the Lex to fail one, hopefully it will be under warranty.

sj

Thanks for the tip guys! Not sure I would have tried fixing it myself, but might have checked out the Toyota dealer. Problem was, Lexus wanted $45 to diagnose it then work it into the repair price. Don't think we have autozone here (Raleigh/Durham, NC) for the free test.

there should TOTALLY be a lexus owners club convention.......i need some tips for my car and it would be AWESOME to see what others have done..hehe....like a harley davidson one, but no crazy leather get-up outfits......except for the seats in the car..rock on with the leather seats!

.........this area aint really much to be proud of, but then again, it's not too bad ;)

i think it is the front one

that can easily be seen from the front of the engine

the front one maybe bank 2 sensor 1.

the bank 1 sensor 1 is in the hood close to you dashboard

the bank 1 sensor 2 is connected to the pipe under chasis around your frist row seats.

I have "check engine light on". The code is 28, which indicates "right oxygen sensor" according to the manual. Does anyone know what "right oxygen sensor" is? Is it close to dash or front?

I know this is related with fuel filter malfunction in cylinder # 2 (dealer mechnic fixed this).

Another question is: can we clean the oxygen sensor and reuse it?

Should we buy dealer part or is it safe to use Autozone part (cheaper)? Some mechanic said it is safe to use dealer parts, though expensive.

• 1 year later...

Bank 1 is usually in front of the car(under the hood), and Bank 2 is after the catalytic converter. I have a '94 ES300 which has 3 sensors, one(Bank 1, Sensor ?), is right in front, mounted on the front exhaust manifold, and one(Bank 1, Sensor ?) is in the back engine area, mounted on the rear exhaust manifold(right in front of the firewall), and one(Bank 2, Sensor 1) is after the catalytic converter(under the front seating area). Hope this helps!

ivrule,

Your car is non OBD2 compliant, so code 28 means the main oxygen sensors(Bank 1, which is under the hood, don't know how many sensors you have though). For OBD2 compliant cars, the error code is usually P0136 or P0139. Heres a great resource for Lexus error codes http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/. Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

I just want to say that I was absolutely wrong on my O2 sensor identification, so for the sake of honesty, here is the corrected version.

I have a 1994 ES300. I bought the ElmScan(by the way, the 94 es300 uses the VPW protocol) interface from Scantool.net because my check engine light was on(because of a shot oxygen sensor), and I wanted to see which sensor it was. I disconnected each sensor, and checked the scantool software to see which one was not functioning. So heres what I came up with. The one right in front, above the oil filter is Bank 2, Sensor 1. The one near the firewall is Bank 1, Sensor 1 and the one mounted on the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter is Bank 1, Sensor 2. It ends up the one that is shot on my car is Bank 1, Sensor 2. My only problem is this, the wires for Bank 1, Sensor 2 go up into the car itself, looks like underneath the front seat, meaning the harness is not exposed, so I can't disconnect it. Anyone have experience with changing this sensor on a '94? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Elazar