Ash Tray Hot

id1

During a 2hour trip I left a gas station receipt in my front ashtray: for a while it was closed shut. Since I don't smoke in car I use the front ash tray to keep miscl items like phone, receipts etc. To my surprise when I took the receipt out, the top portion is charred black: it looked kind of similar to what happens when you hold a paper above lighted candel: half burnt. What could be causing so much heat in the ash tray? The cigarette lighter was not on.

Is the paper actually charred or only black? I think that some paper like some of the old fax paper is heat sensitive and can turn black at fairly low temps. Just a guess. If it is actually charred, I would be pulling the fuse to the lighter before something serious happens.

Curt

Paper is similar to the fax paper: the new receipts that are coming out these days. It did not burn completely, but colored from brown on one end to almost black at the other end.

the kind of paper they use is therm paper, as you correctly stated its the same as in the fax mashine, the principle of using this paper is that it reacts to heat. that is why it turned black. it is still strange, this paper requires a rather big temperature to turn black, it might happen if your lights were on and the small light inside the ashtray was constantly on and smth was pushing the receipt the wall.

VMF, I lived in Staten Isl for 7 yrs and my wife worked on Atlantic St in Brooklyn during those years. Do you know any good mechanic who charges reasonably for lexus repairs.. in and around Brooklyn? My 95 LS has 112k miles and I may need 'timing belt replacement' job around 120k.

yes i do

if u have all the parts he charges around 400$ for the labor.

if you want hes phone number let me know

i used to fix his car over there, now i do most of the stuff myself, but for major repairs i still go there.

It is going to be another 2-3 months before I hit 120k mark. Can you pass on the name and phone number so that I can get in touch with him when I need. I appreciate your help.