Gas Tank

kshgl87

wondering if anyone could help me out, my gas tank has a cut in it and patches havnt worked. dont know if I would have to replace the whole thing or if there is a way some place could fix it for me. trying to figure out how much all of this would cost -thanx

im curious how did u get a cut in the gas tank? Where is it cut? N how do u know it is cut? Is it leaking?

wondering if anyone could help me out, my gas tank has a cut in it and patches havnt worked. dont know if I would have to replace the whole thing or if there is a way some place could fix it for me. trying to figure out how much all of this would cost -thanx

its not safe to try to repair a gas tank, look in the junk yards and find a replacement

not sure how the cut got there, its not so much a cut as it is a crease that split open, looks like it is from something heavy getting jammed in there. Im not totally sure how it happened since I am not the one who did it but it makes trips really hard cause i can only hold about 10gallons or else it will leak...as far as the junk yard goes im not sure where i could find one of these cars around here in a junk yard considering they arent exactly a very common car. I did get in contact with taprecycling and they said that they couldnt ship a gas tank.

It can be repaired , it needs to be removed and can be welded by a shop who does this all the time.

Usually it is rad and gas tank repair shops .

they remove the tank clean it and fillit with an inert gas and liquid to make sure they can weld it without causing any fumes to explode.

You could try JB WELD. Their products have been around for decades. Google it for more information.

Not knowing the size and location of the damage, I hesitate to offer this fix, but I used JB STIK on a pin-hole leak I had in the differential housing of my 4Runner this past summer. Although very small, it leaked pretty good under pressure. I was skeptical, although anyone I asked that had ever used it sang its praises. The STIK cost about $4, the repair took 30 minutes, and it has never leaked again (10,000 + miles to date on it). If nothing else, this should provide some piece of mind while you search for a replacement tank, or save up the $ for a weld repair.

Here's a blurb from their web site:

Quick, easy and clean. J-B STIK Weld is a hand kneadable, steel-reinforced epoxy putty adhesive/sealant that will plug holes and make permanent repairs on wet and dry surfaces. It will even cure completely submerged in water or GASOLINE! Simply knead thoroughly, with your fingers, a portion necessary for the repair and apply. J-B Stik will fully cure 20-30 minutes; and can be drilled, sanded, filed, tapped, machined, and painted. J-B Stik requires no tools or "prep time", and makes no mess.

You may want to check out this thread - i had the same problem and had the tank welded.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=17137

Need to find out what caused the crease that's allowing the leak. I tried JB weld and several other epoxies, but the problem was the excess pressure in the tank was too strong for this type of repair. The thread details all the trials and tribulations i went through, but it's still going strong. :D