Transmisson Filter Change?

ScarabEpic22

My 99 RX300 AWD is having problems. It is getting 16mpg on the hwy, and thats with new oil in it. Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic. I think it is time for a transmission flush and filter change at 55k, so I have the Amsoil ATF, but which filter do I use? There are a few different ones that I have seen around, but how do I know what kind of tranny and pan I have? No parts stores around me have the RX filter, and Im not to inclined to go to the dealer, but will if I have to. I know how to change the fluid and filter as I just did it on my 02 Chevy TrailBlazer, but are there any tricks or tips anyone has for me?

Thanks,

Erik

99 RX300 AWD

go to alleurasianautoparts.com they list a filter gasket kit for the u140e transmission by build date of the car. another source is at Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas. they have good prices and free shipping. they are on line

Hi there. Are you changing the transmission fluid because you are getting 16 mpg? If this is the case, I can't see this solving your mpg problem. It certainly won't hurt, but if that is the sole reason for changing the ATF I think you are going to be disappointed.

Hi there.  Are you changing the transmission fluid because you are getting 16 mpg?  If this is the case, I can't see this solving your mpg problem.  It certainly won't hurt, but if that is the sole reason for changing the ATF I think you are going to be disappointed.

If I am not mistaken there is no filter , There is a screen that can be cleaned but you have to drop the pan.

I was going to change my transmission fluid- filter and the guy in the parts dept. at the Lexus dealership told me there was only a screen filter and that their service department hardly ever changed them, just cleaned them.

I was going to change my transmission fluid- filter and the guy in the parts dept. at  the  Lexus dealership told me there was only a screen filter and that their service department hardly ever changed them, just cleaned them.

OK, Is there a actual filter? Or is there just the screen ?

I was going to change my transmission fluid- filter and the guy in the parts dept. at  the  Lexus dealership told me there was only a screen filter and that their service department hardly ever changed them, just cleaned them.

OK, Is there a actual filter? Or is there just the screen ?

I just got off of the horn with LEXUS of WAYZATA service mgr. There is only a screen NO FILTER.

Thanks for the info, I will get a new filter and drop the pan and see if I can just clean the filter/screen with brake cleaner and go from there.

I am pretty sure this wont help a lot, but when I changed the fluid on my TrailBlazer in July, I started to see a slight mileage increase of about .5-1mpg. I mainly just want to change all the fluids to make sure none of them are causing the problem.

Yes, in my '99 rx300 awd tranny, there is a filter with metal screen and housing. You can purchase from your dealer the replacement with thick "felt" type of filtering media in half metal & half plastic housing. As for the tranny fluid, it's safer to use Toyota Type4 fluid, as marked on the stick and the manual. To improve mileage, I would try first to clean out the throttle body, pcv valve, plus a new air filter. At 55k, you should get about 21 per gallon on highway and 18 for combined driving.

My 99 RX300 AWD is having problems.  It is getting 16mpg on the hwy, and thats with new oil in it.  Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic.  I think it is time for a transmission flush and filter change at 55k, so I have the Amsoil ATF, but which filter do I use?  There are a few different ones that I have seen around, but how do I know what kind of tranny and pan I have?  No parts stores around me have the RX filter, and Im not to inclined to go to the dealer, but will if I have to.  I know how to change the fluid and filter as I just did it on my 02 Chevy TrailBlazer, but are there any tricks or tips anyone has for me?

Thanks,

Erik

99 RX300 AWD

Change it! I am now having a Trans problem. I bought my RX300 used. It was lease vehicle. I read the manual and it said it had a lifetime fluid. Well I guess they felt that 99k was all RX would last? I sm so *BLEEP*ed. Anyone else? Sorry to hijack your thread but I felt I need to tell everyone.         

Yes, in my '99 rx300 awd tranny, there is a filter with metal screen and housing.  You can purchase from your dealer the replacement with thick "felt" type of filtering media in half metal & half plastic housing.  As for the tranny fluid, it's safer to use Toyota Type4 fluid, as marked on the stick and the manual.  To improve mileage, I would try first to clean out the throttle body, pcv valve, plus a new air filter.  At 55k, you should get about 21 per gallon on highway and 18 for combined driving.

Tta300, I called a ocal Lexus dealer, and they don't know anything about the felt type filter. Could you post the part #, so I can call them back.

Anyway, if I can't replace the filter inside the tranny, maybe I should install an in-line filter. That's an easy way to clean the ATF along with changing the fluid each 15k miles , I think.

Mine is 1999 RX300, with 94k miles.

Thanks.