Recommend Mobil-1 5w-30?

Npcomplete,

Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil, and a pretty good one at that. The Toyota one is your basic standard oil. The Synthetic is supposed to offer better cold weather protection. Most of the engine wear occurs at startup, I think it would only make a difference if you operating the car in Alaska..Also, the Synthetic should last alot longer. People on the Jag boards have sent their synthetics for analysis and found it could have gone 10-15K miles easily. The bottleneck is really the oil filter here.

It's a judgement call really. The Synthetic costs 3 times as much. One could argue frequent standard oil changes would be more useful. Mercedes uses Mobil 1 as standard on their S Classes, as do other automakers. I don't use it because I don't do much mileage on my cars and tend to change oil on the basis of time (Every 6 months).

Hope this helps,

Sam

greetings members. anybody recommend Mobil-1 5w-30 on '95 LS400 instead of Toyota 5W-30? Which one's better?  :P

greetings members. anybody recommend Mobil-1 5w-30 on '95 LS400 instead of Toyota 5W-30? Which one's better?  :P

Better to achieve what? Both oils are capable of enabling a Toyota engine to last 30+ years or 500,000+ miles, but the vast majority of owners don't plan to or want to keep their cars that long. And most of the owners who do want to keep their cars long term will end up ruining their motors in other ways long before 500,000 miles regardless of whether or not they used synthetic oil. The Toyota engineers understand all this too and that's one reason why they don't equip new Toyotas with synthetic oil. Instead, they try (usually in vain) to get car owners to focus their attention on preventive maintenance items that REALLY matter to engine longevity like using only factory antifreeze, factory thermostats, factory spark plugs, factory air and oil filters, etc, checking oil and coolant levels frequently, having engine valve clearances checked every 60,000 miles, don't mod the engine in any way and to call a tow truck if the motor starts to behave abnormally in any way (uses more gasoline, runs hotter than normal, makes odd noises, misses, bucks, etc).

There is a thread on oil in the general maintance section.

Read all you want in the multipage thread there.

Every possible qeustiona dn answer you could need will already be posted there. If it is not then go ahead and post and monarch and MB will hash it out for you.

thread closed