How To: Seafoam

Toysrme

So is this Seafoam stuff basically a must due to the sludge issues on the es models? I am scared to do this myself. Do you think that a lexus dealership would ever do this for me as a service?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this Seafoam stuff basically a must due to the sludge issues on the es models? I am scared to do this myself. Do you think that a lexus dealership would ever do this for me as a service?

I know nothing about auto mechanics and I've done this treatment several times in my '94 ES. There's nothing to it. Follow the instructions found in this thread or on a Google search and give it a go.

I found it works best if you have someone in the driver's seat to give it a little gas as the Seafoam is being sucked up through the brake booster line (otherwise the engine tends to stall). Once it stalls and/or you've sucked up all the liquid, let it sit for ten minutes or so then just start it up. Prepare for ALOT of white/grey smoke out of the exhaust.

As long as you can identify the brake booster line you're okay. Go for it, don't pay a dealer to do this (they probably wouldn't anyway.)

Toysrme what's up man!!!! Didn't know you were on this forum... I pop in every now and then...

As far as purchasing seafoam I could not find it in any of the local auto parts store so I bought two bottles off Amazon.com...

I seafoamed my SC400 just the other day and it blew off my heads, threw a rod, and cracked a piston....Oh and the seafoam was so potent it even cracked the block but other then that it worked great..... :P

JUST KIDDING....Good stuff....

I'd stay away from the lucas stuff, it may just be a coincidence but a couple of years ago i used it in my mazda and in my explorer, both cars needed to have oxygen sensors replaced in the middle of the next tank.

also, as a former autozone, and autobarn employee i can honestly say that we don't really know that much unless its the guy with the ASE badge on our shirt... other than that we tell you what the vendor tells us to tell you.

I'd stay away from the lucas stuff, it may just be a coincidence but a couple of years ago i used it in my mazda and in my explorer, both cars needed to have oxygen sensors replaced in the middle of the next tank.

also, as a former autozone, and autobarn employee i can honestly say that we don't really know that much unless its the guy with the ASE badge on our shirt... other than that we tell you what the vendor tells us to tell you.

I KNEW it!

Lucas oil treatment is great for older engines and maybe newer engines too...As far as using Lucas products to clean carbon buildup I would not go for it.... Seafoaming is the way to go..

Went to Autozone today to get some Seafoam... and they recommended that I use Lucas in my gas tank instead? So I bought some Lucas. We will see how it goes....

Lucas in gas tank 'that's a no no" Seafoam is the way to go man! Lucas oil treatment is the real stuff for my old toyota pick up 1981. Seafoam made me a believer "it works"!

• 4 weeks later...

After reading through this entire thread, I did my first Seaform to the LS400 today.

I ran my car with a bad MAF meter for the last few months. Finally replaced it today. While I had it off, removed the throttle body and cleaned out the engine side. Very dirty, heavy carbon deposits.

Peeked into the intake manifold and it was a mess in there too.

With the new MAF on, CE light was dark for the first time in the longest time. But after some highway driving, the car stalled at a light. After that, engine wanted to die at low rpm's.

I'm guessing that the car has been running rich for a while now and it will take a little while for the a/f mixture table to adjust.

In the meantime, put one pint of Seafoam in the gas tank, a bit more than a 1/3 of a pint I sucked into the intake manifold using the hose that ran from the PVC valve, and dumped the rest of the second pint into the crankcase. I was very impressed by the amount of white smoke the car produced!

I'll change the oil in a couple of days. Time for new oil anyway. And then I'll repeat the engine application of Seafoam a couple of times over the next few months. Just knowing how much gunk is being dissolved makes me very happy on behalf of my car. Thanks for directing me to Seafoam.

This process does wonders for the clean air act.... A few more seafoam treatments from fellow lexus owners and we may have no ozone layer left....:geek: With all that being said I need to seafoam good ole ma's car next..

Changed the oil today after putting about 50 miles on the car following the Seafoam treatment. Old oil was very thin and very dirty. Regular Jiffy Lube dino with about 4000 miles on it. Came out almost like water, but nearly black. Changed it myself this time. Went with some nice Mobil 1 full synth. Also replaced the PCV valve.

Car is running much better. Definitely more responsive. Think the air/fuel table isn't where it needs to be yet, but getting there. Idle is coming up. No more "wants to die" issues.

• 3 years later...

I have used the lucas oil and transmission additives on old cars with issues...do not use it on new ones

seafoam worked wonders on my 08 rx350 with 80k miles, cleaned up most of the gunk in the engine. seems smoother and some more mpg.

Also used it on my cousins 06 Avalon with 135k km...worked like a charm too

• 3 months later...