Oem Tranny Fluid Clear Color

Black Lex

I bought the car with 125,000 on it . called dealers that had mantinance on car

one uses ps. fluid and the other uses tranny(dexron) Like in manual

I would like to top up but I hear that tranny fluid installed from manufacture is a

clear color . I have no Idea what I have in.

can I mix or do I have to flush and fill with dexron

I now have 150,000 on

dude, slow down on the typing..... you're all over the place. first off, your tranny fluid shoud be ANYTHING but clear! Normal oem fluid is red. Worn out fluid should be dark brown. Clear is not an option for tranny fluid.

I think I understand you BlackLex. Someone has told you that the power steering system uses clear PS fluid, and someone has told you it takes ATF - Dexron. The correct fluid for the power steering is Dexron ATF (which stands for automatic transmission fluid of course) The clear power steering fluid is similiar in most respects, but the factory calls for ATF, and all ATF's that I am aware of are red, and that's what you should use.

I think I understand you BlackLex.  Someone has told you that the power steering system uses clear PS fluid, and someone has told you it takes ATF - Dexron.  The correct fluid for the power steering is Dexron ATF (which stands for automatic transmission fluid of course)  The clear power steering fluid is similiar in most respects, but the factory calls for ATF, and all ATF's that I am aware of are red, and that's what you should use.

I have heard that the Dexron ATF that comes in powersteering from the factory

is clear in color. I checked and it is clear in color (like ps fluid) .I suspected that one

of the lexus dealers that mantained my car before I bought it replaced fluid with

ps fluid seeing that one had rebuilt ( changed the rubber rings) on my pump.

So I called and they told me that they indeed do use power steering fluid when

replacing fluid ! So I thought I would check other dealers . I called six different Lexus

dealers and half said use PS and the other half said dexron atf (as in manual)

I could hardly believe my ears.

The fluid in pump is a little low and I don't know what to top it off with. I don't

think mixing the two fluids in a very good idea. I guess I will have to flush and

replace with dexron atf to make sure.

It says right on the cap of your PS pump reservoir cap to use "Dexron ATF". So any Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid will be OK.

Yes the factory fill fluid in the PS pump reservoir is clear to light tan in color. Many owners mistakenl think the tan color means the fluid is dirty, but it's not. Even the factory fill fluid in a 2006 Lexus is light tan.

It says right on the cap of your PS pump reservoir cap to use "Dexron ATF". So any Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid will be OK. 

Yes the factory fill fluid in the PS pump reservoir is clear to light tan in color. Many owners mistakenl think the tan color means the fluid is dirty, but it's not.  Even the factory fill fluid in a 2006 Lexus is light tan.

true, I replaced mine with Mobil 1 ATF, best move I ever made :D

Steering is much better now.

Yes the factory fill fluid in the PS pump reservoir is clear to light tan in color. Many owners mistakenl think the tan color means the fluid is dirty, but it's not.  Even the factory fill fluid in a 2006 Lexus is light tan.

true, I replaced mine with Mobil 1 ATF, best move I ever made :D

Steering is much better now.

did the same thing and what a difference

• 2 weeks later...
dude, slow down on the typing..... you're all over the place. first off, your tranny fluid shoud be ANYTHING but clear! Normal oem fluid is red. Worn out fluid should be dark brown. Clear is not an option for tranny fluid.

I'm Sorry again my original post was confusing. I was addressing the P.S. -

(power steering fluid)VS ATF Dexron (Auotomatic Transmission Fluid)

For the powersteering resevoir.

I Was in a hurry that night ...... thanks every body for bearing with me.

I thank you and others that have replied to my post .

But I would still like a answer to my original question ....

Can I mix the two ???? or should I flush??

I thank you and others that have replied to my post .

But I would still like a answer to my original question ....

Can I mix the two ???? or should I flush??

Yes, you can mix the two. You can keep draining and refilling till its completely red.