Bent Rim

VMF

yesterday i found out that the cause of my vibration is a bent rim, what can i do with it? any way to fix the rim or i shoudl look for a new one?

dealer wants 540$ for a new chrome rim

Try Ebay. I've bought several sets of wheels for my LS there. I think most Lexus series interchange. Right now, I have a set of 2000 GS wheels on my '92.

i got some brand new and still in the box non chromes in those that are lying around but they are my brothers so i dont know if he would want to sell them if you wanted them but i remember him saying he wanted 94 rims so he might consider trading :magic:

i just need one rim, i dont wanna spend money on the whole set, at least not yet:)

i wanna switch to those rotating rims with low profile tires. but thats in next year:)

i got nice deal on ebay for 160$ for a rim, looks like a good deal

i think i should get it

My quick thought would be to lift one wheel at a time off the ground and something like a dial indicator stand out of whatever. Just something to visually check while you rotate the rim around. Of course if you have a dial indicator that is the way to go, I would guess the repair manual might even list a spec.

FWIW, before I just bought my 93 it had a shimmy for 60mph on. While wheels were off for check I had them swap fronts to rear and it cleared up, even though they said balance was OK. I am looking to upgrade rims for some new tires. I will have 93 style but no chrome.

John

On the early cars the rims were made specifically for each side of the car. Left side and right side were different. You spare rim might be for the side that is damaged. I was told that although they fit either side that it had something to do with the brake cooling. I'm not sure what year they went to rims that fit either side. Anyone know?

I must agree that I would try switching the back tires to the front. Sometimes tire wear is not very noticable. I rather doubt that it is a bent rim causing the vibration as they are cast and not stamped steel. My Lexus also has a slight vibration at 80 even after an alignment and balance. The dealer said it was because the upper control arms were "weak." They also said they could correct the weakness for a wad of cash. I declined as my cash supply is also "weak."

i changed front tires recently dont think it will help:) i have to find a good place that does high speed balancing and i will c what they gonna tell me. i just dont know where to find it:( :angry:

What year did Lexus do away with the uni-directional rims? My 90 can only be used on one side or the other? They are marked with the correct side. My spare is a left side rim.

you have a spare rim right vmf try and change it one by one untill you see which rim is bent and making noise

and vbdenny the directional rim doesnt matter that much unless your doing lots of braking disk brakes can dissapate heat fairly well without the help of a rim

got my new rim today, gonna do balancing alighment and replacement tomorrow

will let every know about the results. my friend on Gs 400 also comin coz he got the same vibration, we will see what they gonna tell us

I talked to my brother last night who drives for a living and he said in his experiences, vibration is almost always caused by tires. When cruising down the Jersey Turnpike last evening, I noticed that mine has a slight vibration between 80 and 85. When you get to 90 it is smooth as glass. I'd almost thing that it would get worse with speed. I didn't go any faster because I have GoodYear Aquatred III tires which are good in rain but poor in every other respect. Hope your new rim squares stuff up VMF.

Denny

changed rim and balanced front tires. i dont feel anything now!!! its soooo smooth now!!! damn !!!!!

but i had to make a scrifice. i had to put weitghts on the outer side of the rim as well as on the inner side. but the ride now is perfect. no vibration up to 110:)

Sweet! I know you enjoy the smoothness. Vibration is really annoying, I just got back from Jersey with my truck which only has 19,000 miles and it has a vibration at 85mph which seems to increase with speed. I suspect it is tires because it came with cheap General Grabber tires.

Glad the rim fixed your rig.