1998 Ls400 Starter Brand

jif

Denso is offered as a lower cost option to Lexus OEM on some parts, like the throttle position sensor and so forth. I would go with the Denso myself based upon that fact alone. And not just by the general market place either, but dealerships wil elect to use Denso to make a bigger spread on the total bill STUCK to the customer. I know my car has a Denso TPS, and it was replaced by the dealership.

Ironiccally I just got off th ephone with my dad who old me the starter was making a weird 'zip' noise when he started it this morning so it needs a starter to. Weird how everything happens at once. The LS needs a 900 dollar airbag (which the construction company paid for). Tomorrow I have to get plugs for the BMW and hopefully that will solve my engine light problem but I really think it needs O2 sensors at 400+ and a starter which I am hoping to find for less than 200. Sorry, just wanted to vent. Glad I dont have to spend all this money. Id be broke! :)

thanks

I'm actually very disturbed that you would need to replace your starter on 98 model, which is what I have! Under normal usage they should last past 200K as in my previous Lexus. In any case, Denso is OEM supplier for Toyota and is not a lower price option. The OEM components are Japanese made Denso (previously called NipponDenso ND). The ones you get in the states are US made Denso components and sometimes might have minimal variations from the original (air filter element might be colored). To get to the point, if you’re going to go through the trouble of removing the intake manifold to replace the starter on this vehicle then go with the best rebuilt starter you can buy and that would be Denso. I would only go with Bosch if I was intending on selling the vehicle in the real near future!

alsalih, that is interesting about the starter. I'm just curious though, not trying to be a smarta** or anything. :cheers: But wasn't there a recall for the starter on these cars many years back? The only reason why I ask is because the previous owner of my 95 had the starter replaced, and it said "under recall". The dealer told me some b/s excuse that they were too quiet and people were burning them up by holding the key in start mode too long. You sound very knowledgeable with this, do you know if it's true?

I'm actually very disturbed that you would need to replace your starter on 98 model, which is what I have! Under normal usage they should last past 200K as in my previous Lexus. In any case, Denso is OEM supplier for Toyota and is not a lower price option. The OEM components are Japanese made Denso (previously called NipponDenso ND). The ones you get in the states are US made Denso components and sometimes might have minimal variations from the original (air filter element might be colored). To get to the point, if you’re going to go through the trouble of removing the intake manifold to replace the starter on this vehicle then go with the best rebuilt starter you can buy and that would be Denso. I would only go with Bosch if I was intending on selling the vehicle in the real near future!

nc211, you got me curious about that, as I was not aware of this recall on the 95 model LS (I'm sure it's already been discussed on the forum here but I have yet to search it). Anyway, your absolutely right about the recall and I did manage to get the complete recall information from the NHTSA.gov recall database site, very interesting! This of course proves that no manufacturer is perfect (even Denso who I believe has the industry's lowest defects per million rate). Despite this issue, I would still go with Denso whenever possible. :cheers:

RC_98V016_NN.pdf

Some more irony for us. I am going to get my plugs tomorrow and the guys at the BMW board told me that OEM plugs for BMW are NGK. I told them I was going to get Bosch but when I found that out I immediately ordered the NGK. Gotta have something that will last in these German cars : )

thanks

Hi,

I have over 262,000 miles on my(1991) car and still original starter. I am surprised that at such low miles, on your car, that you would have trouble with your starter so soon?!! I hope I never have trouble with my starter, because it sounds like a big job to change it. Good luck with your new starter(only denso and only new :D )

Daffy