98 Es300 Check Engine Light - Failed Inspection

Adman19

My 1998 es300 check engine light is on. The car failed inspection and is giving the obdII codes p1155, p1135, p1410, and p0402.

I've deduced from troublecodes.net, the following:

P1135 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1155 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

- one of these must really mean bank 2 sensor 1. typo?

P1410 - EGR Valve Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

p0402 - EGR Excessive Flow

What do I do to get this thing back on the road? It's pretty frustrating because if I replace the parts its very expensive and probably won't even clear the check engine light. Could there be some other more common problem that is causing all these symptoms?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

dont worry about the other codes just focus on p1410 you probably need a new egr valve b/c the one you have now is probably stuck close creating all these codes, so change the egr valve and clear the codes and you should be ok

dont worry about the other codes just focus on p1410 you probably need a new egr valve b/c the one you have now is probably stuck close creating all these codes, so change the egr valve and clear the codes and you should be ok

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I was thinking along the same lines, that the EGR valve is messing all other readings up.

I called around and figure that a new EGR valve costs about $184.00 (plus a few dollars for gaskets)and is readily in stock. I'll probably pick it up and have a mechanic shop put it in.

It doesn't look like a difficult job for installation, but still, what should I expect (ballpark) for labor estimates to have the EGR valve replaced? Also is there anything else I should request the mechanic to do while they're working on it?

I paid a total of $325 at a Toyota dealership for the part and labor. $184 seems a little steep, I believe the part was $150 and the rest was labor. Shop around at your local Toyota and Lexus dealers.

I suspect the failure in my EGR was caused by excessive carbon build-up. There may be other causal factors but from what I have read carbon is a common suspect.

My 1998 es300 check engine light is on.  The car failed inspection and is giving the obdII codes p1155, p1135, p1410, and p0402.

I've deduced from troublecodes.net, the following:

P1135 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1155 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

- one of these must really mean bank 2 sensor 1.  typo?

P1410 - EGR Valve Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

p0402 - EGR Excessive Flow

What do I do to get this thing back on the road?  It's pretty frustrating because if I replace the parts its very expensive and probably won't even clear the check engine light.  Could there be some other more common problem that is causing all these symptoms? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My EGR went last year on my 1998. I clean the Ivac and throttle body a few months ago..it was BAD! I pix for ya!

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/tb_clean.jpg

The egr is stuck open not closed which would cause excessive flow.

I agree with MB it has large carbon issues and needs the iacv egr and maf cleaned.

What is the best way to go about cleaning these items? Recommendations anyone?

I have recently learned of a common sludging problem in all camry and es300 v6's from '97 to '01. Apparently Lexus and Toyota will fix the problem, which is design related, for free. Could the issues I'm having be related to this? Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

I have recently learned of a common sludging problem in all camry and es300 v6's from '97 to '01.  Apparently Lexus and Toyota will fix the problem, which is design related, for free.  Could the issues I'm having be related to this?  Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

This problem is old news and a new EGR is not going to be free unless the car is CPO lexus (within its time).

Also this EGR is not related to sludge in the oil.

I have recently learned of a common sludging problem in all camry and es300 v6's from '97 to '01.  Apparently Lexus and Toyota will fix the problem, which is design related, for free.  Could the issues I'm having be related to this?  Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

I called Lexus and they said to have it inspected by a dealer, and, if the dealer feels that my problem is related to the sludging problem, then they pay for the repairs. I actually know someone who's '98 Camry V6 is being repaired by Toyota, at no cost, as I write this. However, I don't think he had the same problems with his car as I do.

The only issue is, if my EGR and other sensor malfunctions are caused or somehow related to the sludging problem. This is not a recall, just something that Toyota has taken it upon themselves to do. Apparently its all '97 to '03 models (last 8 years), with no mileage limitations.

Anyone else familiar with this?

I called Lexus and they said to have it inspected by a dealer, and, if the dealer feels that my problem is related to the sludging problem, then they pay for the repairs. I actually know someone who's '98 Camry V6 is being repaired by Toyota, at no cost, as I write this. However, I don't think he had the same problems with his car as I do.

The only issue is, if my EGR and other sensor malfunctions are caused or somehow related to the sludging problem. This is not a recall, just something that Toyota has taken it upon themselves to do. Apparently its all '97 to '03 models (last 8 years), with no mileage limitations.

the problem is that you are going to eat the $$$. Spend the $140 and buy a new EGR and call it a day. The "looking" at is going to cost you.

If you have sludge you will have smoke etc. The EGR is a common problem and not integral to sludge. Just trying to help you out here.

Sludge what sludge?:

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/lexus/oil/oil_sludge.htm

This is not a recall, just something that Toyota has taken it upon themselves to do.  Apparently its all '97 to '03 models (last 8 years), with no mileage limitations.

Anyone that owns a Toyota/Lexus V6 (1MZ-FE) should know something about it as letters were supposedly sent to all registered owners. The only catch is that you have to show proof that you made some kind of reasonable proof that the oil was changed on a regular basis. That in itself was a major topic of discussion (about a year ago) that will not be repeated. If you are interested, use the search key.

steviej

This is not a recall, just something that Toyota has taken it upon themselves to do.  Apparently its all '97 to '03 models (last 8 years), with no mileage limitations.

Anyone that owns a Toyota/Lexus V6 (1MZ-FE) should know something about it as letters were supposedly sent to all registered owners. The only catch is that you have to show proof that you made some kind of reasonable proof that the oil was changed on a regular basis. That in itself was a major topic of discussion (about a year ago) that will not be repeated. If you are interested, use the search key.

steviej

BINGO! If you do not have a letter, call or email Lexus. They will send you a cookie-cutter letter. It will be the same as posted on my quick and dirty webpage just with your name.