Smoke In Cabin

F1FTEENTH

If the rear valve cover gasket is where the oil is leaking from (80% of the time it is) replacing it stops the oil leak.

In any case, oil is slowly leaking out of the engine & replacing whatever gasket is allowing the oil to leak will fix the problem - so your dad is wrong.

That smell in the cabin AND the "smoke" is due to the fact that your heater core is "busted". On most cars, it is located behind the glovebox compartment - next to the firewall. It usually has two pipes that go through the firewall and has the heater hoses from the engine compartment connected to the pipes. Hope this helps!! ;)

That smell in the cabin AND the "smoke" is due to the fact that your heater core is "busted".  On most cars, it is located behind the glovebox compartment - next to the firewall.  It usually has two pipes that go through the firewall and has the heater hoses from the engine compartment connected to the pipes.  Hope this helps!! ;)

ford, that might explain a maple syrup smell and a puddle of green or red liquid on the passenger's floor. How would this explain smoke and a burned petroleum smell?

steviej

I just remember when I had a Mustang many years ago, when the heater core failed, ALL the windows had a foggy "film" as a result of the failure of the core.

The smell is one that you will never forget - it is different. Burnt oil, maple syrup,

call it what you will. I just know that if there is liquid in the floor on the passenger's side, it is a 95% chance that it is the core that is bad.

By the way, that film on the windows is extremely difficult to remove - almost impossible as a matter of fact. ;)

I have a burning oil smell sometimes in my car and I've had the valve cover gaskets replaced, didn't help. I'm running synthetic oil too, and the smell never occured when I used regular oil. No blue smoke from the exhaust either, I have a mystery leak somewhere.