To Buy Or Not To Buy

lngmp

I am new to lexus and have been looking for an early model ls 400. I found a 1994 with 84k body perfect but needs minor leather work. All records from every service to a lexus dealer every 5k miles this vehicle has never been serviced anywhere but a lexus dealer. All services including the 90 k done and verified by dealer. New timing belt, ball joints and brakes at 83k. I have to pay $5000 for the car. Is it a good deal. What other major service items should I be concerned about and look for. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am new to lexus and have been looking for an early model ls 400. I found a 1994 with 84k body perfect but needs minor leather work. All records from every service to a lexus dealer every 5k miles this vehicle has never been serviced anywhere but a lexus dealer. All services including the 90 k done and verified by dealer. New timing belt, ball joints and brakes at 83k. I have to pay $5000 for the car. Is it a good deal. What other major service items should I be concerned about and look for. Any feedback would be appreciated.

5K is a deal. ;)

I agree, $5k is a good deal, especially since the 90k service was already done. About the only think you'll need to address on the car might be some suspension parts. At around 100k, things tend to creak, thump and bump on all LS400s. Normal stuff that any car will face. Control arms, strut rods and so forth. Probably around $1,500 for everything depending on what and where you buy, give or take a $100. The dash lights might flicker too. This is very common on the 90-94 models and there is a guy named Jim Walker that can fix it for you for like $150 +/-. The lcd read outs on the a/c and radio might go out as well, again, cheap fix for $150 +/-. If this concerns you, then take a look around the market place and see what else $5,000 will buy you. You'll see that nothing compares to the LS400. Best cars on the road, no doubt. Even other car owners will agree.

The price is very low considering how well the car was cared for. About the only mechanical problem you'll likely have to deal with is a leaky power steering pump.

New pumps occassionally can be found on ebay for $200-$300. If you have mechanical experience, you can buy a pump reseal kit for $30 from a Toyota dealer and redo the seals yourself.

It is important to determine whether or not the pump is leaking considerable amounts of fluid (there will be telltale drips of power steering fluid on the floor underneath the car) because the fluid drips onto the alternator, shorting it out and can leave you stranded without warning.

I'd also check to see if coolant was ever changed. Neglected coolant has, in some cases, led to a leaky heater core which can cost over $2,000 to replace because of the many hours of labor needed to tear apart the dashboard to gain access to the heater core

Oh snap, I didn't realize you are here in Raleigh too! There is a place off Capital, just north of the beltline, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. If you get off the beltline and head north a couple blocks, you'll see a chance to veer off to the right. This is Trawick road. I think it's a couple blocks down Trawick and turn right on Broadlands Drive. You'll see an industrial style building on your left, maybe 150 yards. You'll know it when you see it. They're pretty good!

Also, a good local indi mechanic I use is Premium Imports, on Wake Forest Road, just south of Southern States Nissan, across the intersection from Snoopy's hotdogs. Tell them the 1995 black LS400 sent you. They're VERY fair on price! Ask for Steve or Kathy. Kathy is the one who answers the phone. Stay away from the dealership at all costs if possible. You will never get out of there for under $135, no matter what you're in for. Even an oil change at $60 will turn into a recommendation for a something to be replaced that doesn't need to be replaced. Trust me, look at my signature below. I've even been given a tour of thier shop and informed about there special $7,000,000 shop floor of high intesity italian tile. And on a 94', you know they'll always say something needs to be replaced, you can count on that!

:cheers:

Did you buy the LS lngmp?  B)

:cheers:

Yes, sealed the deal and took her home. I am really looking forward to giving this beauty the tlc she deserves. I am sure I will be looking for much advice from you all in the months and years to come. Thanks for your input and thanks to the member who put me onto the indi mechanic in Raleigh. I will definitely give him a try. Later.