Comparison Between Older Ls400 And Acura Rl?

Broker

Are there any comparisons between used Acura RL's and LS400's? Looking in the price range of under 8k. I was thinking the lexus is a better car, but I haven't done any research on the Acura either.

I know most people here would be biased, but please try to be fair. :cheers:

RL is a 6 the LS is an 8 cylinder.

Fwd and Rwd .

what are you looking for in a car?

I hate the older RL but that is according to my preference in cars.

What exact years are you looking for in the price range you want in your area?

Yeah, I'm familar with those things, just looking for a comfortable and reliable full size luxury, and the LS400 has been my top choice...90-94 model years most likely...I'd get a 95+ but they seem to be a good bit higher than what I want to spend. Just want to consider the RL. I think the first year was 96 or so, so basically around 96-97. Reliability is the biggest issue with me, and costs to repair if I do have problems with either car. I've noticed the LS400's are very reliable from research I've done. Gas mileage would be a plus if the RL has more.

I simply want to make the most practical decision. I'll probably go with the lexus anyway, just want to compare first.

In terms of ride quality, and transmission shifts, the Lexus is far superiour. To me, Acura's seem to shift very hard into gear, and their ride characteristics seem to go down hill. Every Acura I've ever rode in felt very harsh to me, and I always knew when the tranny shifted, especially from 1st to 2nd. Road noise, well, noise in general, seems to be much higher in an Acura too. MPG, I'd take the Lexus V8 over any V6 any day of the week. It's a wash really, higher rpm usage in a V6 = more gas. The Lexus will not be perfect, but neither will the Acura. Age will be evident in the repairing of the cars. Either way, you'll be fixing something, no matter which one you get.

In terms of ride quality, and transmission shifts, the Lexus is far superiour. To me, Acura's seem to shift very hard into gear, and their ride characteristics seem to go down hill. Every Acura I've ever rode in felt very harsh to me, and I always knew when the tranny shifted, especially from 1st to 2nd. Road noise, well, noise in general, seems to be much higher in an Acura too. MPG, I'd take the Lexus V8 over any V6 any day of the week. It's a wash really, higher rpm usage in a V6 = more gas. The Lexus will not be perfect, but neither will the Acura. Age will be evident in the repairing of the cars. Either way, you'll be fixing something, no matter which one you get.

Agreed, I personally don't think that Acura's 'Flagship' is anywhere near the same category as the Lexus LS......if the old gen RL is the best Acura can do to try & compete in the Luxury market......maybe they should keep the car to themselves. :rolleyes: B) Only good thing about the Acura is that it suffers from high depreciation.

:cheers:

There isn't much comparison. The RL is probably more compaable to the GS in size, but Acura could never touch Lexus in terms of interior quality and workmanship IMO. Not to say that the Rl is a bad car, but the LS is just on a different level all together.

I test drove a TL & CL before getting my ES and there was no comparison. The interior materials felt cheaper and more flimsy and the quality of the leather was sub-par for a luxury car - it was like they pulled it out of an Accord. I didn't like the ride as much as the Lexus either.

LS400 is pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability, but all bets are off when buying anything used so do some research and have the car checked out.

I've got a 91 LS and my dad has a 97 RL so I know first hand. What the other guys have already said is very true. However, I think the RL looks good too...but the LS looks better IMO. Also the RL IS about the same size as a first gen LS.

LS is a "floaty" drive, RL is more harsh. RL has more road noise. Random warning lights have always seemed to come on on the RL. LS seems more reliable to me. RL sometimes has strange things that need to be fixed. For example, a light is already burned out in the dash, and a window regulator has already broken. Oh, speaking of the dash, the LS is MUCH cooler! The RL does depreciate faster. Both are expensive to repair.

That's all I can think of for now.

93LS for 4 months and I love it!

I paid 7k for one with less then 100k. The car looks and rides better then most 05's. Everyone thinks I am loaded and that helps for my industry.

I love my LEUXS.

damn, where did you find a deal like that?

NC211, you are absolutely correct about the gas mileage factor. I've now had my '98 LS400 for 3 weeks, and compared to my beloved '93 Legend Coupe (which I managed to keep), I am astonished to say that the LS gets BETTER mileage than the Acura, which has a 24 Valve V6 and 4 speed auto tranny. Now, this Coupe is in close to pristine condition, I am the only owner, have all service records, regular service like clockwork, etc. I had the 93K service (the works) done just last year, and it runs like a Rolex, 96K original miles on it. But when I got the LS, I immediately noticed that this V8 got BETTER mileage than the V6! How embarrasing! I suppose Lexus just simply has a superior fuel management system. Another point I have to support is the Acura does shift much harsher. My 1st to 2nd is sometimes so rough, it chirps the tires, and its's FWD. Reminds me of a B&M shifter in my old muscle car. So these are two totally different cars for sure. I now drive the Coupe on occassions when I feel 'racy' (not that I do, but ya know) or hanging with my buds, and the LS when I take the Mrs. out for the evening or have company business to attend to. (Plus, she prefers me in the LS because the Coupe is black with black tint, chrome 17"s on Falken 215-45/17 tires and attention getting. The tires exactly meet the wheel wells, so the look is very nice and sleek, it is not lowered yet the wheels fill the cavity perfectly and the ride is still very good. I don't believe in overkill , like most of you folks. Plus I always garaged this car and the original paint is cherry. But since I got this LS, man, I am in hog heaven! (The Mrs. thinks the Coupe is too 'flashy' for me now, and doesn't like the tenderonis looking, LOL!). She has her ES300, also in excellent condition, so everyone's happy.