91 Ls400

SamHouston

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm looking at a 91 LS400. I checked carpoint.com and they reported this expensive problem:

<<<< Heating & Air Conditioning A periodic problem on this vehicle is

failure of the Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor.The cost to repair

the A/C Compressor is estimated at $781.00 for parts and $143.00 for

labor. >>>>>

Question for 91 owners: Is the above true? How often does the compressor fail?

Any other problems I should look out for?

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Sam

Houston, TX

The compressor on my 90 LS was replaced in about 1992. I think the replacement was supposedly an improved version and it lasted until about 2001 or 2002 when I had the compressor replaced and the system converted to R-134a.

The system worked very well on R-134a - I once ran it for about an hour on a 100 degree day while parked in KC Royals stadium parking log and it could have frozen the four of us out of the car - the coolant temperature gauge never rose above normal while doing this. The current owner of the car said the system has a minor leak and he has to top it up about once a year - probably not bad for a 15 1/2 year old car.

Hi SamHouston,

I have a 1991 Ls400 with over 420,000 kilometers(about 260,000 miles) and my air conditioning is still working. I have never had it topped up or even looked at. So my experience with Lexus air conditioning has been top notch!! Great car!

Daffy :D