Drl Disable Possible?

BobsGX470

There have been a few posts in the past about turning off the DRL's. I see this is only your 2nd post so you may not be aware of the power of the search feature of this forum. Try searching for DRL. Turning off DRL is not one of the CBES (Custonmized Body Electronic System) settings in my LS - I just now checked my list - and I would be surprised if it is on your LX.

I'm always curious about why someone would want to turn off the DRL's. I've driven with headlights on during the day since about 1970 after I read studies about the reduction of accidents in northern Europe associated with the introduction of DRL's.

I've done quite a bit of driving in upstate New York the past few years and have been surprised at how many dark heavily forested areas I've driven through on winding 2-lane roads. I had never realized that New York was like that. I'd really appreciate it if you would leave your DRL's on so I don't hit you the next time I drive in upstate NY. :(

But turn them off if you must - I don't think they are required by law.

There have been a few posts in the past about turning off the DRL's.  I see this is only your 2nd post so you may not be aware of the power of the search feature of this forum.  Try searching for DRL.  Turning off DRL is not one of the CBES (Custonmized Body Electronic System) settings in my LS - I just now checked my list - and I would be surprised if it is on your LX.

On the 05 GX470, the dealer can turn the DRL's off with their computer. So I guess I'll have to wait and have them do it. It's not listed on the LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) check off list, but the dealer can turn them off.

I'm not sure about the GX but they all probably work the same. Look for a black box with yellow warning label like "caution hot" and maybe a lightning bolt, somewhere near the battery. That would be the resistor that cuts the power to the high beams, thus making them DRL's when the lights aren't turned on. There is a twist plug coming out of that box with a wire that goes to the high beams. If you pull that plug, the DRL's will go out. If you want to leave it that way, put electrical tape over the connections to keep moisture out.

Here's a pic of the resistor box on a IS300.

drl.jpg

I'm not sure about the GX but they all probably work the same.  Look for a black box with  yellow warning label like "caution hot" and maybe a lightning bolt, somewhere near the battery.  That would be the resistor that cuts the power to the high beams, thus making them DRL's when the lights aren't turned on.  There is a twist plug coming out of that box with a wire that goes to the high beams.  If you pull that plug, the DRL's will go out.  If you want to leave it that way, put electrical tape over the connections to keep moisture out. 

Here's a pic of the resistor box on a IS300. 

drl.jpg

Thanks for the photo, but I don't see anything like that under the hood of my 05 GX470.