Roof Rack& Gas Mileage

rfcbuf

I am hearing that the roof rack on suv's ( I have a 2004 RX 330) can increase gas consumption. I have 3 questions:

1. Is it true that removining the cross members on my roof rack will improve gas mileage?

2. How do you remove the roof rack cross members on a 2004 RX 330?

3. Will removing the cross members weaken the roof rack assembly?

I am hearing that the roof rack on suv's ( I have a 2004 RX 330) can increase gas consumption. I have 3 questions:

1. Is it true that removining the cross members on my roof rack will improve gas mileage?

i'm not sure about that for the 330, but i remember hearing that for the RX300. removing it, i have no clue. :wacko:

1. There were some here who claimed improved gas mileage, but was not substantiated. Use your common sense on this one.

2. Do a search as someone has already mentioned, I remember it sounded simple.

3. If the Lexus factory rack functions anything like a Thule (for which only I have experience with), removing the cross bar makes the rack completely useless because you need to install attachments on the crossbar to properly secure whatever you're carrying (skiis, bikes, surfboard, etc.)

Better aero dynamic always help, especially during highway driving. Conservation of energy, energy spent to generate noise you heard from roof rack can be saved or used to propell car forward. We don't ever see non-wagon/SUV (e.g. sport coupes) have roof rack as a standard feature.

I checked into this a while back. I found one site that claimed a 1% - 2% MPG improvement by removing the roof rack. I ended up leaving them in place as I do mostly city driving and the savings was minimal. If you fill up every week at a cost of $45 a week, you're spending about $2160 a year on fuel. With a 1% - 2% deduction you're only saving about $21 - $42 per year by removing the rack. My wife and I started started riding together 3 days a week (17 miles each way) and that will add up to $530 per year in savings.

My take on the whole thing is that if you're looking so save money or the environment, cut back on your driving and make sure those tires are properly inflated.

Just my humble opinion. :D

DJ

I checked into this a while back.  I found one site that claimed a 1% - 2% MPG improvement by removing the roof rack.  I ended up leaving them in place as I do mostly city driving and the savings was minimal.  If you fill up every week at a cost of $45 a week, you're spending about $2160 a year on fuel.  With a 1% - 2% deduction you're only saving about $21 - $42 per year by removing the rack.  My wife and I started started riding together 3 days a week (17 miles each way) and that will add up to $530 per year in savings.

My take on the whole thing is that if you're looking so save money or the environment, cut back on your driving and make sure those tires are properly inflated. 

Just my humble opinion.   :D

DJ

Gas saving aside, the sun, wind, snow, and rain will slowly strip that black paint off RX300's roof racks. I have seen a 99 RX300 with black paint peeling off and showing the aluminum underneath. Black is fine, silver is even better looking, but spotted silver on black is a wore looking roof rack.

If you have a stone cut on your RX330 roof rack, you can verify whether it has same paint as RX300's.