Your Future Car.

Dust

The Lexus guys 10 years ago were fantastic; they never asked for a license or any insurance information they just gave you the keys and said go. Back then they were not the #1 selling luxury brand so they had something to prove....not not so much it seems.

well, back then the insurance laws were different. They HAVE to ask for those things or they could stand to loose their master insurance.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. so adding my 2 cents!! What would I like to get?! I love those Aston Martins DB9, or even its smaller look alike brothers, the DB9 is actually my favorite all time car!! Or even the new Audi RS4!! What a little beast! What will I most likely be getting?! Another used car! And since the LS I have now runs like a champ, I don't foresee that happening for a long while. But a newer LS will be the successor. :cheers:

Im probably being more hopeful than I have any business doing.... but after i finish undergrad in 08 I intend to beg and plead until somebody... anybody.... gives me a Maserati Quattroporte... or anything with wheels for that matter. I have a tentative deal w/the parents.... However, i just need something to get me through the next couple of years. Since I don't know where i'll wind up living... i figure impracticality is the safest bet. God willing I will have not killed the GS by then <_< :P :lol:

My next car will not be a Lexus, and it's not because I don't love the quality and reliability of mine. I am 6'4, and Lexus simply doesn't accomidate drivers over 6'1 or so like Mercedes, BMW, Lincoln, or Cadillac does. The LS430 is the most comfortable Lexus yet, but it's still no where near the competition at MB. I really like the new DTS, I've always loved the Town Car, and the current S500 is timeless and is the most roomy car I've ever driven. I love them all, so I guess an extensive test drive and who's more comfortable will decide. I'll never get rid of my '95 though! B)

I disagree. I'm almost 6'3'' and the LS 430 has plenty of room for me. I can't say if I was an inch and a half taller that I would say the same thing, (it CAN make a big difference in comfort) but a 6'1'' driver has plenty of room in the big Lexus. I can't speak for the smaller sedans, having never been in one, but the SUV models also have plenty of headroom.

I also love the Town Car! I don't love the depreciation, but I just think it's flat out cool!

What do you think of a diesel-powered Lexus? In Europe (but not here in Sweden) diesel cars have a very strong position. In some countries, I'd say close to 50%

of all passenger cars are diesel powered.

A GS D4D anyone? ;) Or an LS 380d? :o

/Alexander

I really wish we got them here. Instead they stick us with hybrids. :( I've read about the IS220d, and I keep wondering why we don't get them here. I think my next car will be a diesel, probably an E320 CDI. It's fast, efficient, spacious, and gorgeous. After a pleasurable day of driving in a relative's 320 CDI, I'll certainly check it out when it's time for a new car in a couple years. I'm still drawn to the Caddy DTS and Town Car because I'm an odd duck and LOVE bench seats and cars that really float down the highway.

I'm going to go kooky conspiracy theory on ya. They don't want a proliferation of deisel engines in the USA because we might all decide to go run them with corn oil or homebrew biodeisel.

I disagree. I'm almost 6'3'' and the LS 430 has plenty of room for me. I can't say if I was an inch and a half taller that I would say the same thing, (it CAN make a big difference in comfort) but a 6'1'' driver has plenty of room in the big Lexus. I can't speak for the smaller sedans, having never been in one, but the SUV models also have plenty of headroom.

I also love the Town Car! I don't love the depreciation, but I just think it's flat out cool!

Well, comfort is entirely subjective, so I'll agree to disagree with you! ;) The 6'1 part is just a broad generalization, and nothing more, that refers more to the smaller LS400s than the larger 430s. The SUVs have decent headroom, I agree. But, if I can hardly fit my legs in, it doesn't do me much good. I'm anxious to sit in a LS460 to see how I fit! The one that I really wish I could fit in is the ES330 because I really love the exterior styling of the car!

Cool, another Town Car person!! :cheers: The depreciation really isn't that bad. The base model (which are what most of them are) lists for $42k and some change (I'd opt for the $500 factory hid lights.). Take $12k off because of dealer incentives (and that's before you haggle!), and you've got a cool magic carpet that can easily go 300k miles for less than $30k!! So, seeing a '06 Town Car with 20k miles on sale for $25k really isn't that bad of depreciation.

I'm going to go kooky conspiracy theory on ya. They don't want a proliferation of deisel engines in the USA because we might all decide to go run them with corn oil or homebrew biodeisel.
I certainly think that is part of the problem...along with the bad press that diesels have developed over the years as being loud and smokey. But, that's hardly the case today, and they get real world gas mileage that can go head to head with a hybrid without the complicated powertrain.

Well, comfort is entirely subjective, so I'll agree to disagree with you! ;) The 6'1 part is just a broad generalization, and nothing more, that refers more to the smaller LS400s than the larger 430s. The SUVs have decent headroom, I agree. But, if I can hardly fit my legs in, it doesn't do me much good. I'm anxious to sit in a LS460 to see how I fit! The one that I really wish I could fit in is the ES330 because I really love the exterior styling of the car!

Cool, another Town Car person!! :cheers: The depreciation really isn't that bad. The base model (which are what most of them are) lists for $42k and some change (I'd opt for the $500 factory hid lights.). Take $12k off because of dealer incentives (and that's before you haggle!), and you've got a cool magic carpet that can easily go 300k miles for less than $30k!! So, seeing a '06 Town Car with 20k miles on sale for $25k really isn't that bad of depreciation.

I certainly think that is part of the problem...along with the bad press that diesels have developed over the years as being loud and smokey. But, that's hardly the case today, and they get real world gas mileage that can go head to head with a hybrid without the complicated powertrain.

Well, you're right, of course, the depreciation isn't that bad on a Town Car, but I would never consider a new one. In fact, the price point you mention for a used (practically new) 20K mile example is why I love them. Cool New York look (especially the long-wheelbase model "executive?") with that 70's limo ride...can't beat it with a stick! And.... if you want to spend a night out hitting the bars with a gal pal or a couple of buddies, it's the best! I would hire a driver for a hundred bucks and drink all I want plus look like a millionare!

I was one of those deisel unbelievers until a recent trip to Spain. The rental company gave us a Citroen something or other (a tiny little thing) that was AMAZING. Power to spare even in the mountains and I didn't relize it was a diesel until I went to fill it up! Imagine my surprise! My image of diesels was of those horrible Mercedes we had in the 70's and 80's belching black smoke and sounding liek they were about to fall apart!

A hybrid that would make real sense would be a diesel/electric that would certainly get 100mpg or more and have plenty of power, plus be able to run SVO or biodiesel to boot.

Well, you're right, of course, the depreciation isn't that bad on a Town Car, but I would never consider a new one. In fact, the price point you mention for a used (practically new) 20K mile example is why I love them. Cool New York look (especially the long-wheelbase model "executive?") with that 70's limo ride...can't beat it with a stick! And.... if you want to spend a night out hitting the bars with a gal pal or a couple of buddies, it's the best! I would hire a driver for a hundred bucks and drink all I want plus look like a millionare!
Oh yeah, I wouldn't buy a new one either! I'll let someone else take that first hit, and then buy something that still looks and smells new. The only thing to watch out for is all of the Town Cars that Hertz and Enterprise get rid of. Rentals.....scary!! They changed the option package names every year (I know 03, 04, and 05 have different names) I believe, but any one of the packages with the "L" behind it will get you the extended wheelbase and rear mirrors/audio/ac contrls. What's sad is that I read that they are planning to kill the Town Car for some crappy little fwd...or that's what the rumors are at least. :( The Town Car just won't be a Town Car without a full frame, V8 power, and a quiet, floaty ride.

I was one of those deisel unbelievers until a recent trip to Spain. The rental company gave us a Citroen something or other (a tiny little thing) that was AMAZING. Power to spare even in the mountains and I didn't relize it was a diesel until I went to fill it up! Imagine my surprise! My image of diesels was of those horrible Mercedes we had in the 70's and 80's belching black smoke and sounding liek they were about to fall apart!
Diesels have tons of tourque on their side, so it comes as no shock that your little Citroen took on the Spanish mountains with ease! The E320 CDI has close to 400ft-lbs of torque. Most V8s don't even have that much!

A hybrid that would make real sense would be a diesel/electric that would certainly get 100mpg or more and have plenty of power, plus be able to run SVO or biodiesel to boot.
I agree! ;)

i would love to get another LS, but i dont think it would be economically feasible for me to get one anytime soon.

i still have my 96 ls but im not sure for how long, i drive my civic most of the time while ls sleeps in the garage:)

my brother wants either fj cruiser or gx 470

as to me, i might get an infinity later on.

more affordable and just as reliable.

and in few yers i will prolly reunite with the LS:)

As for me, I think I'll likely wind up with another LS mainly because I'm very impressed with the drive, feel and quality of the car. It will be a bit before I buy a another one however, as I only have 45k miles on my 96 LS and based on what I'm reading here, one can drive these things up to 200K+ miles without a problem. It will take me 8-10 years to run up that sort of mileage, plus I'm the type that normally keeps my cars for a long time.

As to roominess, I'm fine at 6'1", 260 lbs. Blake, I think you need to show everyone the picture you posted with your legs up to the dash for everyone to appreciate your problem with the legroom.