Turning Rotors

choiboyogg

Most auto supply stores with a lathe like Napa, Peb Boys or AutoZone should be able to do it. Or you can call your local machine shop. lI've tried all of these stores. They're pretty good. They'll first measure the thickness of the rotors based on your car specs. If it's too thin or the surface in pretty bad condition (deep grooves, warp, etc), they will not do it. They'll tell you to replace. The going rate in my area, Chicagoland, is about $7-8 per rotor.

i need to get my rotors and my dad's 98 es300's rotors resurfaced.

where should i get them done?

Hi choiboyogg,

I would agree with dcfish & SKperformance. Just buy new ones, reason for this is, that after resufacing, they are more prone to warping after some hard stops. This has happened with me, a waste of money. New ones will be trouble free for a very long time. Daffy

Car Quest has LS rotors very cheap. Best price I could find here in Denver. Turning is counter productive. You make them thinner. That makes them worse not better. Total waste of time and money. I go with Car Quest rotors and genuine pads. I dont like aftermarket pads at all. I always end up taking them off and throwing them away because they feel bad or make ungodly noises. Even Ceramic pads. They stink real bad on mountain braking. Threw them in the trash also. I work on Volvo's and the pad situation is the same.

I personally would attempt to get them resurfaced first. Rotors on most vehicle makes (German vehicles being the exception) have enough excess in them to allow you to resurface them. As long as the runout (warppage) is not excessive where they cannot completely machine it without hitting the min thickness limit. The root cause of the problem of rotors warping in the first place (assuming there is not a design deficiency) is strongly related to the brake pads. Older model Lexus vehicles which did not use Ceramic compounds would heat up and transfer too much heat to the rotors causing warppage. Therefore, from my experience (this has worked on a Lexus GS300, a Nissan Altima, and a Jeep) is that you should 1) resurface the rotors if possible 2) replace your brake pads with Akebono Ceramic pads ACT or Pro-ACT line (which are now OEM on many Lexus vehicles). These are the best pads out there and they are not like any other ceramic pads. They give you great braking ability, don't heat up like metallic pads, don't produce dust, and will not warp the rotors. Drilled rotors can develop cracks from the drilled holes, slotted rotors are good but it would be much wiser to use the money on better pads then to get expensive rotors. If you do buy new rotors DON'T buy the cheapest ones you can find! In most cases they are made in China and they don't have the same material strength and corrosion resistance that OEM or good aftermarket (like Mountain) will have. Many of the cheaper drilled and slotted rotors on eBay are base model cheap rotors which are drilled and slotted by a local machine shop, be very careful!