Starting Problems

justintime

I have a 1991 LS400. Recently, I've been having some serious problems starting the car. I thought it was the battery or the alternator. I had both checked at AutoZone. The battery test results were: GOOD. The alternator test was also: GOOD but amping at 60. The manager at the store told me that the problem probably exists somewhere around my ignition switch. What happens is that when I turn the car off for usually between 3 to 8 hours, I get power everwhere except enough to start the vehicle. Sometimes it will take trying 6 or 7 times before it'll finally crank. Other times, I'll try once or twice and nothing happens. But on a third attempt, it'll try to crank over. On a fourth attempt, it will crank over. Any suggestions on what I should do? I just purchased the car almost two months ago and haven't had many problems. There are also few times that when I reach 70 mph, the car acts as if it's going to shut off. It doesn't do that often, but enough for me to be concerned about it. Any suggestions about that too? Thanks.

-justintime

The cables may be tight on the battery, but have you noticed any signs of deteriortion of the thickness of the cables - maybe some of the smaller copper wires inside the braid in the plastic sheath breaking loose? That could be part of the problem.

I would also look at the positive and negative terminals coming off the battery and going to the alternator. If those are loose, coroded or fraying then that could be the culprit.

how many miles do you have on the car? and when was the last time that the sparkplugs & wires,airfilter & fuelfilter were changed?i assume that the starter is turning its just that you are not getting enough spark, air or uel into the engine. this would be why the car doesnt want to start and at high speeds it acts like it wants to stall.you mght just need a tuneup

i just bought my car a few months ago (90ls400 w/186k+mi) and i had that problem also. whenever i would park and go to sleep or when i would go to work for 8+ hrs it would normally take two cranks to turn the engine. honestly it never went as high as three or four but when i got a tuneup it all changed. my suggestion: vitek wires and ngk or denso! iridium plugs plus new caps and rotors wouldn't hurt either :D also you can DYI just visit lexls.com

good luck with your new ls :cheers: