My New 400h:)

Just got home with my new black on black 400h, and only 9mpg on the trip here!! wtf... o wait a minute, I was enjoying the cvt as i put the petal to the metal on every straight away;) I traded in my 300 for it and there is no comparrison in pickup and the no shifty shifty thing is so sweet!

I'm reading lots of people bitching about mpg here, but in my oppinion the extra 36hp is gas free therefor Im still saving gas and looking good, really good.

On a side note, I pulled up to a hummer h2 at a stop light on the way home, honked my horn and flipped em off. Eat my voltage !Removed!!! :cheers:

I'm reading lots of people bitching about mpg here, but in my oppinion the extra 36hp is gas free therefor Im still saving gas and looking good, really good.

Don't forget that 650 lbs-ft of torque (more than a Hummer!)!

Hey Guys,

I am new to Lexus ownership (years of BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars instead). After doing some research the RX400h seemed interesting so I purchased one last week.

With 400 miles on the car my mpg average has been about 29. Extremely reasonable for a car with this kind of power. I am also amazed at how thoroughly integrated the power systems are in this car. After 25 years of software design I can honestly say that the programming is brilliant.

There are however a few things which I can't believe Lexus customers let the company get away with.

1. This nonesense about locking out navigation and telephone functions when the vehicle is in motion is absurd. BMW and Audi started down that path and quickly abandoned the effort when their car club members, customers and dealers all started screaming at them. I have owned two new vehicles (BMW 745il and an Audi A8L) which initially had this restriction when I bought the cars. Within two months, the dealers had been given software patches to remove the restictions. Doesn't Lexus listen to their customer's feedback? This has apparently helped spawn a few new businesses who now produce a system to neutralize this feature.

2. It is bizarre for a luxury car manufacturer not to provide an integrated satellite radio option today. When you are purchasing items in the 50K+ range, you don't expect to have to find a private shop to install a third party satellite radio system, after you purchase the car.

3. Finally, and this may be a matter of personal preference, when I own an AWD vehicle I don't expect to experience torque steer during acceleration. Both the Audi Quattro and the BMW X Drive systems seamlessly channel the majority of power to the rear wheels during hard acceleration. Lexus might take some lessons from that book.

Even though this might sound like severe criticism, I actually feel that the overall car is quite a technological achievement and is fun to drive. That's why items like the 3 I have listed become even more frustrating. When a manufacturer comes this close to really doing the whole vehicle right, it is annoying when they blow it on a few details.

Welcome to the club, and the best with your 400h. This vehicle has no driveline, only one electric motor in back so channeling a bunch of power back there is not going to happen. I agree that the torque steer takes some adjustment. BTW check your tire pressure, many have come from the factory at 40 psi, not the reccomended 30 or 32 depending on the tires you have. Regarding the phone, with my Treo 650 that is bluetooth enabled I can dial out through the phone keypad at any time and speak through the Nav system.

After 25 years of software design I can honestly say that the programming is brilliant...overall car is quite a technological achievement and is fun to drive.  That's why items like the 3 I have listed become even more frustrating.  When a manufacturer comes this close to really doing the whole vehicle right, it is annoying when they blow it on a few details.

I would have to agree with you. The car is a lot of fun to drive. I find myself enjoying it more and more, but there are a couple things that are a bit disappointing. My biggest issue is that:

With the RSES installed, there is no way to get external audio or video from the built-in RSES RCA input jacks to:

1) Display video on the front screen (e.g. Xbox/PS2/Gamecube) Currently it will only play on the RSES flip-down screen.

and

2) Play the audio on the interior speaker/audio system (like if I wanted to hook up an external MP3 or Satellite radio device through the RCA jacks.) Audio from a DVD in the RSES will play through audio system. External source audio from the RSES RCA input jacks only plays through the wireless headsets.

:huh: I don't understand the reasoning behind that. It seems like it would be a very simple feature to provide.

Mike

This has apparently helped spawn a few new businesses who now produce a system to neutralize this feature.

Where do we find this hack???

Yes, this is totally absurd...$50,000 car and we have to pull off the road to add a new address to the GPS or call someone. It seems this is more hazardous than using the GPS. I have been using an external Garmin for years and being able to change destination while traveling is not an option but a necessity!

This has apparently helped spawn a few new businesses who now produce a system to neutralize this feature.

Where do we find this hack???

Yes, this is totally absurd...$50,000 car and we have to pull off the road to add a new address to the GPS or call someone. It seems this is more hazardous than using the GPS. I have been using an external Garmin for years and being able to change destination while traveling is not an option but a necessity!

There are a couple of options but this one apparently has been successfully implemented on the Prius. It not only allows navigation input while in motion, but also provides the same freedom for the bluetooth phone interface. As an added bonus, it also eliminates the "I Agree" screen at the beginning of each session. I have emailed them regarding RX400h implementation and am waiting for a reply.

http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm

There is this interesting but less attractive solution which requires no additional anything. It basically gives you the technical codes to key in on your screen to disable the function. Unfortunately, the sequence would have to be repeated each time you shut the car down.

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/ss/navigation.htm

Regarding satellite radio integration I have been in contact with these guys and they are interested in using my car to test the functionality of the XM implementation they have running for the Prius. They are not too far from my home and I will probably go along with the testing when I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

http://www.priusxm.com/

Hope that helps.

Hey Guys,

I am new to Lexus ownership (years of BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars instead).  After doing some research the RX400h seemed interesting so I purchased one last week.

With 400 miles on the car my mpg average has been about 29.  Extremely reasonable for a car with this kind of power.  I am also amazed at how thoroughly integrated the power systems are in this car.  After 25 years of software design I can honestly say that the programming is brilliant.

There are however a few things which I can't believe Lexus customers let the company get away with.

1.  This nonesense about locking out navigation and telephone functions when the vehicle is in motion is absurd.  BMW and Audi started down that path and quickly abandoned the effort when their car club members, customers and dealers all started screaming at them.  I have owned two new vehicles (BMW 745il and an Audi A8L) which initially had this restriction when I bought the cars. Within two months, the dealers had been given software patches to remove the restictions.  Doesn't Lexus listen to their customer's feedback?  This has apparently helped spawn a few new businesses who now produce a system to neutralize this feature.

2.  It is bizarre for a luxury car manufacturer not to provide an integrated satellite radio option today.  When you are purchasing items in the 50K+ range, you don't expect to have to find a private shop to install a third party satellite radio system, after you purchase the car.

3.  Finally, and this may be a matter of personal preference, when I own an AWD vehicle I don't expect to experience torque steer during acceleration.  Both the Audi Quattro and the BMW X Drive systems seamlessly channel the majority of power to the rear wheels during hard acceleration.  Lexus might take some lessons from that book.

Even though this might sound like severe criticism, I actually feel that the overall car is quite a technological achievement and is fun to drive.  That's why items like the 3 I have listed become even more frustrating.  When a manufacturer comes this close to really doing the whole vehicle right, it is annoying when they blow it on a few details.

You will experience HEAVY torque stearing in the RX, HL and Sienna (RAV4??)because of the strong front torque bias, 90/10, when under acceleration. Differing final drive ratios front vs rear result in 50/50 torque distribution only during cruise and/or when all tires have roughly equal traction. Turning results in unequal "traction" across the front.

It is my understanding that the rear drive on the RX400h is not "engaged", other than during initial startup or strong acceleration at lower speeds, except when front wheelspin/slip is detected or "impending"(??).

Many more sensible (less hazardous) AWD systems bias the engine torque to the rear. The Volvo XC90 system may be the best of all, torque biased dynamically. Entering a turn engine torque is routed to the rear and after the apex biasing back to the front.

Personally I absolutely agree with no nav input allowed during motion. I rarely use the nav but when I do I turn the display off and rely only on the voice. The last thing I need is to be distracted at a (in-)decision point, intersection, and inadvertently look down at the display for "help". Better to just commit to a decision, drive on through, pull over, and then look for directions.

If you really prefer rear biased AWD the RX300 or RX330 (or HL, Sienna, etc.) can be quite readily converted to RWD with the/a viscous clutch coupling for front drive.

Been thinking about developing an aftermarket kit for the RX400h so that front wheelspin is "detected" any time the gas pedal is "further" depressed, demanding more engine torque. The system should react by reducing the front drive and increasing the drive from the rear.

Hey Guys,

You will experience HEAVY torque stearing in the RX, HL and Sienna (RAV4??)because of the strong front torque bias, 90/10, when under acceleration. Differing final drive ratios front vs rear result in 50/50 torque distribution only during cruise and/or when all tires have roughly equal traction. Turning results in unequal "traction" across the front.

It is my understanding that the rear drive on the RX400h is not "engaged", other than during initial startup or strong acceleration at lower speeds, except when front wheelspin/slip is detected or "impending"(??).

Many more sensible (less hazardous) AWD systems bias the engine torque to the rear. The Volvo XC90 system may be the best of all, torque biased dynamically. Entering a turn engine torque is routed to the rear and after the apex biasing back to the front.

Personally I absolutely agree with no nav input allowed during motion. I rarely use the nav but when I do I turn the display off and rely only on the voice. The last thing I need is to be distracted at a (in-)decision point, intersection, and inadvertently look down at the display for "help". Better to just commit to a decision, drive on through, pull over, and then look for directions.

If you really prefer rear biased AWD the RX300 or RX330 (or HL, Sienna, etc.) can be quite readily converted to RWD with the/a viscous clutch coupling for front drive.

Been thinking about developing an aftermarket kit for the RX400h so that front wheelspin is "detected" any time the gas pedal is "further" depressed, demanding more engine torque. The system should react by reducing the front drive and increasing the drive from the rear.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Volvo system and I think it works really well. However I would still say that the BMW X drive is the best I have ever driven. The X drive can take as much as 90% of the power being applied and transfer it to a single wheel if traction conditions call for it. Under normal driving conditions, hard acceleration transfers 80% of the power to the rear wheels. I have driven my wife's X5 in fairly severe winter conditions and could not spin a wheel even when nailing the accelerator.

If you develop an aftermarket kit for the RX400h, let me know. I would certainly be interested.

As far as the navigation system is concerned, I have used a number of different systems over the years (all allow full function when the vehicle is in motion) and have found that once you know the system, it is no more distracting than drinking a cup of coffee while you are driving. There have been numerous times when I am enroute to a destination, then I get a phone call on the way which changes a meeting to some other place. Or after a few hours driving on a trip into unfamiliar territory, I want to find a restaurant and a gas station nearby. Or I want to change my routing preference.

It's also ridiculous to disable the phone function when the vehicle is in motion, since it simply makes me pick up my phone and dial directly through it. This process is much worse and much more distracting than being able to get access to my phone book information while the vehicle is in motion.

Make these systems so easy to use that it doesn't distract the driver, or if they feel a need to continue this path then allow the passenger to make entries. Their sensor's already know when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, so why not link the system access to that.

That would seem to make much more sense to me.

There is an override for the RX400H that allows one to enter destinations while driving. It takes about 10 button pushes and has to be redone if the car is started so it probably isn't something you would want to do every time. However, we were on a long car trip recently and it was nice to be able to use so the passenger could enter a destination.

I learned how to do it from the RX300/RX330 board:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=22623&st=0

The second key seems to vary based on model/year. For our RX400H, the key after MENU is Volume. It takes care of the Nav destination lock-out but not the phone.

I wish they would at least enable these features when the passenger sensor (the one for the airbags) indicates a passenger is present. Are they worried that some drivers would install a lead-weight passenger?

There is an override for the RX400H that allows one to enter destinations while driving. It takes about 10 button pushes and has to be redone if the car is started so it probably isn't something you would want to do every time. However, we were on a long car trip recently and it was nice to be able to use so the passenger could enter a destination.

The second key seems to vary based on model/year. For our RX400H, the key after MENU is Volume. It takes care of the Nav destination lock-out but not the phone.

I wish they would at least enable these features when the passenger sensor (the one for the airbags) indicates a passenger is present. Are they worried that some drivers would install a lead-weight passenger?

Yeah, I am constantly on my phone when I get in the 400h, but pulling over or coming to a complete stop to dial out is absurd. Wish they would fix this ASAP!

Do you guys think that those features could be enabled through a firmware upgrade? Is that even possible on the 400H's nav/phone system? I would think that the dealer should have the capability to upgrade the system with the latest software or BIOS revision without having to replace the entire system hardware. Do the updated DVD discs contain only map data, or do they also have system-related data on them as well?

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mike

I tried this on my RX400h, it worked perfectly for the Destination lockout. The destination screen no longer dims when I'm driving. The setting works only during the current driving session. But it is so easy to do there should be no problem.

Now, if the lockout for the telephone can be discovered the Nav/Telephone system will become easier to use.

Yeah, I am constantly on my phone when I get in the 400h, but pulling over or coming to a complete stop to dial out is absurd. Wish they would fix this ASAP!

This stuff is strictly software related. No hardware involved.

Do you guys think that those features could be enabled through a firmware upgrade?  Is that even possible on the 400H's nav/phone system?  I would think that the dealer should have the capability to upgrade the system with the latest software or BIOS revision without having to replace the entire system hardware.  Do the updated DVD discs contain only map data, or do they also have system-related data on them as well?

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mike