Just Bought A 2000

In the Owners Manual it says that you can use fuel that has at least an 87 octane rating......that is Regular fuel not Premium. I switched from Premium fuel to Regular fuel on both my '94ES and '03ES when I didn't notice any difference in performance. Also, I didn't notice any increase in fuel economy using either type of fuel.

The call is yours.....if it makes you feel better psychologically. :rolleyes:

I am curious as to why a wheel bearing would go so quickly.

You failed to mention how many miles are on it. I wonder if the previous owner hit lots of potholes.

I ran 87 octane in my 2002 and hated it. It didn't knock but it just didn't feel quite right. I just go with 93. My manual calls for 91 but no one sells 91 around here (its 87, 89 or 93).

steveij

This fuel information was taken directly from the 2003 Lexus ES Owners Manual.

2003fuel.jpg

I think you're mixing up "Octane Rating" with "Research Octane Number". ;)

I think there is an 86 octane rated gasoline but I'm not too sure about that.

It's true that higher mileage cars will do better with a higher octane fuel due to the carbon buildup in the cylinders. Generally, the ECU will compensate the engine timing when you are using a lower octane. If you don't get a ping when the engine is under load it won't cause engine any damage. If you do, go to a higher octane fuel.

I think you're mixing up "Octane Rating" with "Research Octane Number". ;)

I think I did.

Hey, maybe I will start trying the 89 stuff and see if I lose mpg or if it knocks.

I know I don't like the 87 stuff.

Alan, I owe you one.

I am retracting my previous reply to this thread. It has been on my mind all day. So, when I got to my car after the boat ride home, I immediately looked up the fuel requirements that are stated in the 2002 owner's manual and I was most suprised.

The 2002 Owners manual on page 296 and on the inside back cover both state and I quote (I can't scan stuff at home like Alan)

Fuel selection:

Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum engine performance. However, if such premium type cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91).

Fuel tank capacity:

70 L (18.5 gal., 15.4 Imp. gal.)

My take is that the manual was changed due to the coorporate lawyers that write/proof read these things before publishing.

Or

Too many people complained that they had to use premium because "the book said to".

OK, so I am not crazy. :blink:

steviej

yah the engine will adjust the timing accordinly to the the needed octane at any given moment

the above statments are true it can work with regualr gas

but i still don't use it

my wife did for a while in here car and it built up large deposits of carbon which i have to keep cleaning in the intake and chamber

which renewed the performance

the other good point of using premium fuel is it contains better cleaning agents than regular

the choice is yours

a few cents = a few hundred dollars over time but i feel a much better response in my cars than with regualr

it is a must for forced induction cars ( turbo supercharger)

but acceptable for anything else

steviej,

I actually got the information from the Lexus Corporation's website. If you register your car there you can see all the manuals that came with your car. I found the page about fuel requirements, than I pressed print screen and than went into Photoshop and resized and cropped what I wanted. I than uploaded this image into my webspace and put it into this thread. A lot of work just to show you what the 2003 ES manual said. hehehe.

I couldn't scan it 'cause I'm still miles from home and these computers don't have their scanners working.

BTW: The manuals are .pdf files so you'll need the Adobe Acrobat Viewer to see them. ;)

Alan, look in your actual manual in the car, see if they are the same as the web site.

I am wicked curious now.

Steve.

bbsal, Sunoco Ultra is 94, their premium is 93. I tried that too and could see paying almost a dime more for what I percieved as no difference.

I'll stick with the 93.

steviej

Steve, The rear page of the 2003 Lexus Owner's Manual has the exact same information as the website. In fact the website copied this entire book. Also, there is additional information in the "Engine" part of the book on Pages 307 and 308. I'm sure that a Lexus dealer would let you read the '03 Owners Manual to compare the differences in reading from the '02.