My Last Night With The Rx400h

Well, tomorrow im trading in my RX400h. This is the last night i will have it in my garage, so is there anything you guys want me to test for you?? LOL If anything breaks it's not on me ;) Just call me the test dummy...

Edited by LexKid630 Sat July 30th, 1:02pm: THIS POST NOW INCLUDES: "financial planning"

Why are you getting rid of it? :blink:

Toss it through a slalom for me, also see how much air you can get in it before it bottoms out. B)

LOL I have to try that!!

I'm getting rid of it because the only difference from it and the Rx330 is that the 400h doesn't have a wood steering wheel, the tan interior in the 400h has a black upper dash. ..bottom line; it's not worth the money at all!!! I don't feel luxurious in the 400h. I'd rather keep my 2004 rx330 with 52,000 miles.

I waited over a year for THIS?? Jeez im trading it in tomorrow for a brand new 05 GS430.

In my opinion, the rx400h is just a status symbol..like.."oh, oh i have a lexus hybrid!! I'm the future!!!!" If that's the future then i'm sorry.

So what about the extra "power" that 400h gets over the 330. You can't "hear" the power, all you hear is an electric motor squeeling. It's not the kind of thing for me.

I'm getting rid of it because the only difference from it and the Rx330 is that the 400h doesn't have a wood steering wheel, the tan interior in the 400h has a black upper dash. ..bottom line; it's not worth the money at all!!! I don't feel luxurious in the 400h. I'd rather keep my 2004 rx330 with 52,000 miles.

I waited over a year for THIS?? Jeez im trading it in tomorrow for a brand new 05 GS430.

In my opinion, the rx400h is just a status symbol..like.."oh, oh i have a lexus hybrid!! I'm the future!!!!" If that's the future then i'm sorry.

So what about the extra "power" that 400h gets over the 330. You can't "hear" the power, all you hear is an electric motor squeeling. It's not the kind of thing for me.

Waitaminute.

Your entire family drives a Lexus, but you're willing to knock people who like the 1st Lexus hybrid ever built as wanting a misguided status symbol?

Some would say the same thing about the wood steering wheel. All that laquered wood looks fake to me.

The most annoying whine coming from the 400h is from owners who are complaining about things I noticed on one test drive!

It is louder than I would've thought - but only when throttling. I expect that to change in T/L designs in the next few years.

LexKid630,

I know you're a pharmacist and you seem to have plenty of disposable income. I'm an investor who specializes in using stock market options to build significant wealth over time, and I know a great deal about financial planning and money management. Allow me to offer you a bit of free advice.

Your automotive whimsy and teenage approach to buying vehicles and then getting tired of them and trading them in for something else is killing your bottom line, not to mention your depreciation schedule. You have kids in college but you deal in and out of cars as if you were 16 years old. For your family's sake as well as your own, STOP IT! Quit buying cars on whimsy and emotion just because you think it would be fun to have this or that model.

Figure out the vehicle you need, do copious amounts of research on it, take all the emotion out of the equation, and then go drive your best deal. Plan on keeping the vehicle you've selected as your best fit for at least four years and preferably five. The depreciation you're giving up with your current behavior is absolutely killing you. I'll bet the Lexus salespeople duke it out in the showroom for the opportunity to work with you when they see you coming. You're not only putting your own kids through college, you're also financing the lifestyle of your Lexus salesperson.

Show some restraint, take the emotion out of the deal, and learn to match your automotive needs with your wants a whole lot better. You are absolutely killing yourself financially with your current automotive behavior. Always remember that buying a vehicle is rarely an investment; it is an expense. Cars are not really assets because they depreciate so quickly, particularly in the first year of ownership.

No hard feelings - I just hate to see people throw their money away through foolish and uneducated behavior.

Toss it through a slalom for me, also see how much air you can get in it before it bottoms out. B)

LOL I have to try that!!

LexKid...This is absolutely none of my business but is the dealer going to "give you your money back" for the 400h??? I'm sure they are not. I'm curious how bad they are going to "ding" you?? Feel free to say "nunya" if you are so inclined.

13 month ago when i put myself on the waiting list for the 400h i thought it was going to be the best car i have ever owned. At that time hybrids were a thing of the future. It wasn't until i actually got it ( a few weeks ago) until i found out that i didn't really like it as much as i thought i would...if i had ever been in it last year i wouldn't have gotten it.....The Rx400h just wasn't for me.

I did not say that everyone who did have an Rx400h only had it for the "name", i was just telling you my personal opinion. I don't find that the Rx400h is everything it was supposed to be. And like i said, i had only driven the 400h for over 800 some odd miles, so maybe i just didn't get used to it yet.

...don't take anything i say the wrong way, i was only telling you my opinion.

...and i don't think i was "throwing" my money away getting the 400h. I made out pretty well today, they gave me a good trading price on it considering i hadn't even had 700 miles on it. It's only a few weeks old. It was a rare model as well, i'm sure it will sell fast anyway.

I would never make a decision about purchasing a car if it might put me in any more debt than i'm in now...at least nothing i can't handle.

My house was passed down in my wife's family, and thankfully i didn't have to pay for ALL of college tuition for my kids. So pretty much all i invest our money in is into cars. I love cars, and so that's why i spend a lot of money on them.

Do as you wish. But as I stated before, cars are NOT an investment - they are an expense. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're "investing" your money when you purchase vehicles. You're spending, not investing.

I encourage you to look into some money management and financial planning courses. You and your family should benefit handsomely in the long run.

Do as you wish.  But as I stated before, cars are NOT an investment  -  they are an expense.  Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're "investing" your money when you purchase vehicles.  You're spending, not investing. 

I encourage you to look into some money management and financial planning courses.  You and your family should benefit handsomely in the long run.

LOL yes, yes i do know that cars are a bad investment...The only reason why i buy all these cars is because i want them. If we didn't have the money then i wouldn't buy them, but fortunately we do have the money so i buy nice things for me and my family.

It wasn't until after i started working for a few years (like 10) before i was able to buy nice cars etc. My wife and i have worked hard for our money, and we are very thankful for what we have today, including our family (that's what really matters to me). It wasn't until our youngest was born in 1990 when we were we able to afford the things we can today. My wife and i weren't exactly living richly when our first son was born when we were both in college, both still kids ourselves. It has taken us a long time to work our way up to where we are today, and we will spend our money as we see fit.

LOL I have to try that!!

LexKid...This is absolutely none of my business but is the dealer going to "give you your money back" for the 400h??? I'm sure they are not. I'm curious how bad they are going to "ding" you?? Feel free to say "nunya" if you are so inclined.

This morning i traded the 400h for a new 2005 gs430 to a dealer in New Hampshire (they had what i wanted). I only had to pay $800 for the trade, and IMO, i like the GS430 better than the 400h. BUT this is just MY personal opinion. So i'd say that it was a good deal. They were selling the GS for a LOT less than i had expected.

Do as you wish.  But as I stated before, cars are NOT an investment  -  they are an expense.  Don't fool yourself into thinking that you're "investing" your money when you purchase vehicles.  You're spending, not investing. 

I encourage you to look into some money management and financial planning courses.  You and your family should benefit handsomely in the long run.

LOL yes, yes i do know that cars are a bad investment...The only reason why i buy all these cars is because i want them. If we didn't have the money then i wouldn't buy them, but fortunately we do have the money so i buy nice things for me and my family.

It wasn't until after i started working for a few years (like 10) before i was able to buy nice cars etc. My wife and i have worked hard for our money, and we are very thankful for what we have today, including our family (that's what really matters to me). It wasn't until our youngest was born in 1990 when we were we able to afford the things we can today. My wife and i weren't exactly living richly when our first son was born when we were both in college, both still kids ourselves. It has taken us a long time to work our way up to where we are today, and we will spend our money as we see fit.

LexKid630, I'm with you when it comes to buying the things that you want. It's your money to do what you want with. It really is no one elses business how you spend your money. :cheers: to as many cars as you see fit. B)

LexKid630, I'm with you when it comes to buying the things that you want. It's your money to do what you want with. It really is no one elses business how you spend your money.:cheers: to as many cars as you see fit. B)

You go LexKid!!!! You can't take it with you...nobody ever has. May as well spend it while you're here. Enjoy.

Wonder if you can take the tax deduction for purchasing the hybrid?????

I'm all for buying the things you want, I buy things I want too but some sound financial decision making has to come into the picture at some point or another. I don't have as cold a view on it as RX in NC does (not to say he's wrong, he's most definately right but cars are my weakness too, cars and gadgets) but you got it handed to you in this deal somewhere trust me. If they gave you $800 less than you paid you made that up somewhere in the purchase of the GS I promise you.

I have no idea what the status of your financial portfolio is nor is it any of my business but if you haven't done it yet please talk to a financial planner. I meet too many people who have made such awesome amounts of money in their lives to wind up with so little when their working years are done or that have to keep on working past when they should have been able to stop because of their spending habits. I know plenty of poor people who make $300,000 a year. Trust me, I see their financial portfolios when they try and buy houses...that they also can't afford.

Then every once and a while (more often than not actually) I meet people who make far less, and have far more. Just last week I had a guy who made $90k beat out a guy who made $350k on an 800k house because the guy who made 90k had more assets. Sad when you think about how awesomely wealthy the other guy could have been.

why do I feel if someone took the time to call Manchester Lexus. the only dealer in NH that they dont have or never had a used 400h. If you got out of the 400h so quick you must have owned it outright {no loans or lease} Therefore you picked up the up to $2000. tax deduction so that puts you $1200. ahead. Lastly I don think you would have need to leave your state to find a left over GS 430.

why do I feel if someone took the time to call Manchester Lexus. the only dealer in NH that they dont have or never had a used 400h. If you got out of the 400h so quick you must have owned it outright {no loans or lease} Therefore you picked up the up to $2000. tax deduction so that puts you $1200. ahead. Lastly I don think you would have need to leave your state to find a left over GS 430.

you probably wouldn't because it wasn't a Lexus dealer that i BOUGHT the Gs from. It was brought in used.

I never said it was a Lexus dealer. Thwy had a TON of used but new Lexus's there. There weren't many GS's still available at Lexus dealers.

then if you traded in a month old Rx for a used GS you really got ripped off.

I really didn't have choice LOL. The rx400h just wasn't for me. I am much more happier with the GS. And the GS wasn't exactly used, it only had 100 miles on it. It's in perfect condition. That's just my personal opinion.

LexKid630,

I know you're a pharmacist and you seem to have plenty of disposable income.  I'm an investor who specializes in using stock market options to build significant wealth over time, and I know a great deal about financial planning and money management.  Allow me to offer you a bit of free advice.

Your automotive whimsy and teenage approach to buying vehicles and then getting tired of them and trading them in for something else is killing your bottom line, not to mention your depreciation schedule.  You have kids in college but you deal in and out of cars as if you were 16 years old.  For your family's sake as well as your own, STOP IT!  Quit buying cars on whimsy and emotion just because you think it would be fun to have this or that model.

Figure out the vehicle you need, do copious amounts of research on it, take all the emotion out of the equation, and then go drive your best deal.  Plan on keeping the vehicle you've selected as your best fit for at least four years and preferably five.  The depreciation you're giving up with your current behavior is absolutely killing you.  I'll bet the Lexus salespeople duke it out in the showroom for the opportunity to work with you when they see you coming.  You're not only putting your own kids through college, you're also financing the lifestyle of your Lexus salesperson.

Show some restraint, take the emotion out of the deal, and learn to match your automotive needs with your wants a whole lot better.  You are absolutely killing yourself financially with your current automotive behavior.  Always remember that buying a vehicle is rarely an investment; it is an expense.  Cars are not really assets because they depreciate so quickly, particularly in the first year of ownership.

No hard feelings  -  I just hate to see people throw their money away through foolish and uneducated behavior.

I think the Lexus Kid should be able to buy what he wants as long as it doesn’t take away from the family needs. If you’re a car nut and love a new car now and then- go for it!

My Father in-law bought 26 cars (all new) in the first twenty years we were married. You know what? It made him very happy! Life is very short and he passed away at the age of sixty. You never know what life is going to bring your way, so why not enjoy a new car now and than?

As far as the RX 400h goes we are still waiting for delivery sometime next month. We don’t buy cars very often like my in-laws, but are really excited about this one. This car is going to replace my wife’s 1995 Explorer with 110,000 miles on it.

We were very blessed last year! My wife bought a lottery ticket and won enough to place an order at the Lexus dealer. Good thing because we would have probably bought another Ford, but as luck would have it we can now afford a Lexus. Go figure! Life is funny that way.

My 400h replaced my 99 Ford Exploder and i can assure you the lexus will put a smile on your face in ways the Exploder could never do. It is safer, with a much better ride and quick. Good luck with it and tell us when yours comes in.

Well of course he can buy whatever he wants, its a free country. I meet too many people who literally make a quarter million dollars a year or more, and they have NO money because they have no sense of restraint. When you make that kind of money, and you make it for a period of years, if you're not wealthy at some point you're doing something wrong. It happens all the time.

Thats what RX in NC and I are getting at. Again, I dont know Lexkid and its none of my business but you're looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cars in his signature. How many cars does someone need to drive? He has $200,000 worth of cars he drives HIMSELF. Thats different from buying a nre car once a year and replacing the current car with it. These are cars, not beanie babies.

You're totally right, you never know what life's going to bring your way. Maybe you'll die at 60 and you'll never need the assets of your estate. OR maybe you'll live till 90, or you wont be able to work at some point, or you wont want to work. I know people who have made millions upon millions of dollars in their lives only to become burdens on their children because of lifetimes of reckless spending. Its sad to have nothing later in your life to show for all your hard work because you bought a bunch of crap thats now old, worn out, or gone.

SW03ES may be a youngster but he understands the importance of "invest first, buy second". If you learn to manage your money at a young age, you'll be able to purchase more of the things that you're passionate about throughout your lifetime because you'll take care of your financial planning first and therefore cover all your bases regardless of what life throws at you (health problems, job loss, career issues, spouse problems, etc.).

I love nice houses, vehicles, and toys as much as the next guy. But I've worked hard, invested well, managed our assets professionally, and been prudent about what we need vs. what we want. The result? We were debt-free by age 36. We owned our home, our vehicles, our property, and everything else free and clear and its been that way ever since. We finance nothing. If we want another house, we pay cash. If we want a new vehicle, we pay cash. If we want a piece of property, we pay cash. We'll never have to worry about retirement and paying for our old age. Our only real concern is staying healthy enough to enjoy what we've worked hard to do and build.

If I had not managed our finances the way that I do, we would not be in this position. And that's why a professional understanding of financial planning and money management is so crucial for everyone. Too many people work hard all their lives, make a great deal of money, but still manage to accumulate more debt than assets. That is very sad and completely avoidable for anyone with discipline.