Solved Rx-400 Identity Crisis

:cheers: Nice!

But, you forgot the "h"! Isn't the "h" the point? ;)

Blame it on Connecticut. You get 6 characters and all the letters and numbers have to be grouped together with a "." in between. So I had a choice of RX-400 or 400-H and picked the first.

BTW: For CT residents DMV will let you check out options at http://www.dmvplate.state.ct.us/VanityPlate.asp. Options still available are 440.H, 4.oo and 400.RX.

RX-400front.jpg

sorento_zoom_front_400.gif

Say, what are you driving there? Sorento or 400h? LOL.

Very nice plate selection; you probably could've gotten away with the whole "RX-400h" if you didn't get a specialty plate, right? :blink:

RX-400 vs 400-H. Tossup. I'd say that you chose wisely.

Nice job!

GA has numerous "specialty" plates (e.g., wildlife, universities, education, wildflowers, etc.). The plain GA tag and its color scheme are ugly IMO and the colors are very odd (orange tones). So, my wife and I chose to spend the $10 extra to get the plates from the university where I work since its color scheme complemented both of our vehicles. Unfortunately, we couldn't have both the vanity (choose your tag #) and the university tag (with the complementary color scheme). Otherwise, I like your idea of emphasizing the RX 400.

Good idea - I'm frustrated that I can't distinguish between the 330 and 400h on the road. For those of us who don't want specialty plates, though, I wonder if you can get the "hybrid" (synergy drive) label put on, like the Prius has.

bainse: the local body shop that repairs my work trucks is able to order any car badge or decal for a car as they are often damaged in collisions or need to be removed for paint work. I am sure they can get a hybrid synergy drive tag from a Prius for u. U will be amazed a what those little pieces of plastic cost however it was fun to put a M5 tag on the back of my exploder.

bainse:  the local body shop that repairs my work trucks is able to order any car badge or decal for a car as they are often damaged in collisions or need to be removed for paint work.  I am sure they can get a hybrid synergy drive tag from a Prius for u.  U will be amazed a what those little pieces of plastic cost  however it was fun to put a M5 tag on the back of my exploder.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll do that when I have a thundercloud grille or something similar put on the front. (Ironically, replace plastic on front of vehicle, add plastic to back of vehicle!)

Well I always thought that Lexus should make the RX-400 a little easier to distinguish from the RX-330.  Since their badging is so small I added a little bigger "badge".      :) 

RX-400 License

It looks like we're not alone, and that Toyota is listening:

Toyota plans ways to make hybrid models stand out

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-0...-tag-usat_x.htm

Well I always thought that Lexus should make the RX-400 a little easier to distinguish from the RX-330.  Since their badging is so small I added a little bigger "badge".      :) 

RX-400 License

It looks like we're not alone, and that Toyota is listening:

Toyota plans ways to make hybrid models stand out

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-0...-tag-usat_x.htm

Thanks for the info. I wonder if they are going to allow retrofits. (Then again maybe the unbadged will get rarity points.)

BTW: While you're on the USA Today site read their article about mileage disappointment from not meeting the EPA numbers (see links on right) and compare it with the NY Times Sunday "Emperor has no clothes" article and today's sideswipe at the RX-400. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/03/automobi...cnd-toyota.html

• 1 month later...

RX-400 License

I wanted my 400h to stand out also. So my license plate reads "RHYBRID"

My intention---"Our Hybrid"

My son asked "Why Rye Bread"?

The kid never could spell!

• 2 weeks later...

RX-400 License

At first I considered ordering and adding the plastic "hybrid synergy drive" tag found on Highlander Hybrids, but I recently learned of, and implemented, a better solution here in Virginia. Virginia offers a number of specialized license plates, including a "Clean Special Fuel" plate for which your vehicle must qualify. The RX400h and other hybrids qualify.

See http://www.dmvnow.com/exec/vehicle/splates/alpha.asp?alpha=c.

I now have the plates on my vehicle and I think they look great -- immediately identify it as a hybrid without having to use "vanity" text, which I preferred to avoid.