95 Ls400 Cold Start Crank Problem

Hampton

Hi, Guys

My 95LS400 cold start will take about 1-2 sec cranking, but when engin warm up it start immediately, this thing happened five years ago when i brought it, at that time I asked the Lexus dealer who sold me he said it is normal, at 80km my starter went dead and that cost me much money to fix it. A few week ago I clean the TSB,MAF,EGR,and change the fuel filter. I also try 3 times to turn on the key but without start engin for checking the fuel pressure leakage. it seems this problem still there. the questions I have now are follows:

1.Does crank long time may make starter goes dead quickly?

2.Does 95ls400 has a cold start injector? if yes, where can I find it?

3.How does the cold and hot engin makes the cranking different, do some parts which I don't should be cleaned?

Thanks for your help

re-check all your connections, see if you can twist the connector.

Hi, RFeldes

Thanks, May you please tell me which connectors should be check mainly, there are many connectors under hood, do I need some electric contactor cleaner for clean? and why twist the connector?

Thanks for your help.

I would bet your connections are ok...my '95 does the exact same thing your car does, Hampton, but I don't care all that much...it's all water under the bridge at 260K miles!

Hahaha! I hear ya' Blake.

Hampton, don't worry about it, mine does it too. All of my cars do it the first start when been sitting long enough for the engine to cool down. It takes a second for the fuel pump and so forth to get everything lined up right when it's been sitting for a while. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

NC, Hampton, Ed since we all seem to have a similar problem, I videoed my car starting. My LS had been sitting for 2 days prior to this start. I'll have to take one of a warm start, so yall can see the huge difference. How do I compare to your cars?

http://homepage.mac.com/ucf20l/iMovieTheater2.html

blakemy 98 starts the same exact way and i always wondered if that was normal since my 91 did it also being a lexus i always figured the car should just go vroom as soon as you turn the key does anyone know if the newer models have that same 1-2 second delay?

Starting a cold engine is literally...starting a cold engine. Nothing has been warmed up yet, and it make take an extra second or so to crank it. It's not a dead battery, because you'd get no crank at all. And I'm sure that all cars do this after they haven't been driven for a while.

Blake, I don't have the right plugin to play the video, and my work computer won't let me get it either. But, I'm gonna say yes, mine is the same. Sits for a few days, and it takes a few cranks to get her to fire up. Honestly, I think it is the fuel system setting everything up. I know back in the day, you had to run BMW's a lot to prevent the fuel from dripping into the cylinders and causing crud. Bosch systems would not pull the fuel back from the injectors when you turned the car off, therefore it would sit, ready to go at an instant. But, it would also drip into the engine if left to sit too long. I think our car's systems will pull the fuel back a little to prevent this. Therefore, I takes a little extra for the pump to push it back up. I could be WAY off on this too, just something I remember hearing way back when.

Damn, blake, your LS hauls major !Removed!!  :o  (Watched the other movie on there).

Seems like a tall first gear, but once you're into second, you're at 60 in no time!

Thanks! I think she moves pretty well for her mileage! B)

blakemy 98 starts the same exact way  and i always wondered if that was normal since my 91 did it also being a lexus i always figured the car should just go vroom as soon as you turn the key does anyone know if the newer models have that same 1-2 second delay?

I have a relative with a LS430, and the few times I've driven it, I had to hold the smart access knob a sec or two to get her started.

Blake, I don't have the right plugin to play the video, and my work computer won't let me get it either. But, I'm gonna say yes, mine is the same. Sits for a few days, and it takes a few cranks to get her to fire up. Honestly, I think it is the fuel system setting everything up. I know back in the day, you had to run BMW's a lot to prevent the fuel from dripping into the cylinders and causing crud. Bosch systems would not pull the fuel back from the injectors when you turned the car off, therefore it would sit, ready to go at an instant. But, it would also drip into the engine if left to sit too long. I think our car's systems will pull the fuel back a little to prevent this. Therefore, I takes a little extra for the pump to push it back up. I could be WAY off on this too, just something I remember hearing way back when.

I can email it to you if you'd like. You don't have quicktime? Mine doesn't take a few tries, but it just seems like it would start quicker than it does.

The only reason I mentioned the battery was because as mine get short on life it takes longer for it to start. Last time I bought a high amp battery and it starts first spin and no more fast dimming of the lights when the brakes are applied.