Wix Filters

uthorns1976

Anyone have any experience using Wix oil, air, etc. filters in their Lexus?? In this case, vehicle is RX400h belonging to my brother. (I searched...no hits.)

He plans to use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 with Wix oil filter. Originally, he was going to use Mobil 1 15W-50 but I told him NO, NO, NO!! Use 5W-30 like the manual says. He agreed.

We have used Wix filters for many years with no problems. I have always been told that they are quality. But, this is first Lexus in our family. Thanks.

I have been using wix filters for more than twenty years now.

The reason is, a friend of mine "cut open" most of the leading filters

long ago to view the difference in quality. Man, what a difference. From

what I could tell, the worst in quality were the Fram, AC Delco, and Mopar.

The absolute best were the Wix and Motorcraft oil filters.

If your are interested in the Wix filters, the best prices are available at

rockauto.com. B)

• 2 weeks later...
I have been using wix filters for more than twenty years now.

The reason is, a friend of mine "cut open" most of the leading filters

long ago to view the difference in quality.  Man, what a difference.  From

what I could tell, the worst in quality were the Fram, AC Delco, and Mopar.

The absolute best were the Wix and Motorcraft oil filters.

If your are interested in the Wix filters, the best prices are available at

rockauto.com. B)

I would personally select AC, Pure One, Mobil, Baldwin (or Amsoil) or Fleetguard before Wix but that again is me. Nothing wrong with Wix though. I know about 5 years ago (maybe longer) Amsoil had to re-do there oil filters since Mobil was catching up to them.

Oil filters will have different shells, different media inside, anti-drain back vlve, spring different and oil relieve valve. Maybe even different sealing gaskets. Most times these filters are tested per SAE HS806 (efficiency/capacity).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Anyone have any experience using Wix oil, air, etc. filters in their Lexus?? In this case, vehicle is RX400h belonging to my brother. (I searched...no hits.)

He plans to use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 with Wix oil filter. Originally, he was going to use Mobil 1 15W-50 but I told him NO, NO, NO!! Use 5W-30 like the manual says. He agreed.

We have used Wix filters for many years with no problems. I have always been told that they are quality. But, this is first Lexus in our family. Thanks.

I have used WIX oil and air filters for years with good results - until I purchased a WIX Oil Filter (this is a cartridge filter) for my 2007 Lexus RX350 - not only did I pay more for the WIX than I would have for an equivalent Toyota OEM Filter - I also found resin molded seal at the top and bottom of the filter was poorly manufactured; initially I was concerned that this filter would leak around it's top and bottom seals. 4 months later and 3,000 I pulled the filter one winter night (after worrying about it for weeks) and discovered that not only had the filter been leaking, but it's top and bottom resin molded seals were actually cracked. I have used only Toyota OEM filters since.

• 1 month later...