Should I Buy A 95 Ls400?

Hi i origanilly wanted a 94 es300 but i saw a 95 ls400 and i like them a lot better. I was wondering if you think a 1995 LS400 would be a good first car for me? I was also wondering if anyone has a users manual that i could like download to learn about the car. Lexus doesent have free owners manuals on there website. And i was also wondering if the 1998 GS400 17 inck 5 spoke chrome rims would fit on the 95 ls400. i really like those rims. well your comments would be greatly appreciated. also if theres any problems with the ls that would be great to know also. thank you very much

The only main problems with the 95 would be the brakes and air suspension, if you have it probably not though, . Other bugs may happend but for the most part they are the most reliable cars you can buy.

thanks

Some common problems include....upper and lower control arms, lower ball joints, strut rods, power steering leakage (either at the rack or pump. depending on which location, you can add in an alternators too.), hood support struts, stereo lcd, seatbelts that don't retract, ECU, some cd changer failures, cracked(rocks) headlight lens, P-->D transmission lurch, oil leaks/oozes at cam, crank, and valve seals.

Definantly get the '95 LS over the '94 ES!! ;)

Hey man.. four months ago I was in a similar boat.. About to buy a 98ES for 10k then I read some new posts and seen the LS400.

Now after two months of ownership I am completly happy! I love my LS400 and its a 93. By far the best car I have ever owned and I feel good driving it every day! It is so comfortable. The head LEXUS mechanic informed me that the car should last till 300k..

So far I have about 1800 miles on the LEXUS with one long trip of 400 miles each way!! The ride is awesome!

The problems are stated on the Laymens for Laymens of buying a LS. Check that out! That was my bible and I did not rush! Well sorta.. I also searched around 300 mile radius..

A few of the 95s I drove had front end issues! That was about a 1500 dollar minimum repair. So I avoided those issues..

Good luck

what about the brakes?????? :blink:

I know I saw it in C/R the Lexus got all excellents except in the braking/suspension category. We had problems with the brakes in our 96. One was the rotor screws were stripped. That Bob Villa tool came in handy, although he was kinda worthless on Ask This Old House : ).We ddi the rear rotors and pads and I swear those rear pads were OEM. I am still tryin to figure it out. Anyway, the pass. side rotor wouldnt come off. Found out form a guy that the only way to get it off is to hit it with a 5lb sledge to break it free. I was afraid to this with the car on jacks. We'll have to get it done though. Right now the rotor is in the back of my BMW. And a short time latewr we did the fronts and the guys lost the dam clip that holds them in place. Had to go to Home Depto to get those one clips with the ridges, I forgot the name. Not cotters,. Lucky us we get to do the brakes on my Aunts mini van this weekend. :cries:

thanks

definately LS over ES you cant go wrong with the flagship of lexus its really an amaising car show a random person a 00 ES and a 95 LS, and them have no knowledge of the 2 cars, odds are theyll pick the LS just because of the fact its a beautiful car inside and out

Some common problems include....upper and lower control arms, lower ball joints, strut rods, power steering leakage (either at the rack or pump. depending on which location, you can add in an alternators too.), hood support struts, stereo lcd, seatbelts that don't retract, ECU, some cd changer failures, cracked(rocks) headlight lens, P-->D transmission lurch, oil leaks/oozes at cam, crank, and valve seals.

Definantly get the '95 LS over the '94 ES!!  ;)

And the list goes on and on… I wish I had a 2005 Hyundai instead of my 96 Lexus— The best car is a new car.

yea i really like the ls. do you think im going to like look old in it though? i am only 16 and i know a typical 16 year old doesent drive a sort of boxy car like that. lol. i was also wondering, how is the stereo in this car. i like good bass, not a ton, but enough to feel it. how many speakers are there in the car? is there a sub in the back? does anyone know the 0-60 time? just a few questions i have. thank you all very much

I'm 17 and drive the LS and my 97 BMW. When I first turned 16 I drove a 1990 750. So I'm kinda used to these big cars. When I go out and but my own car I will definetly buy something nice. Not to be showy or anything but these cars are the right size for a big guy like me. I had to spend an afternoon in my Aunts Camry the other day. There were 5 people in that car and when we stopped I offered to drive. I'll never do that again. My foot hurt from bein so close to the accelarator. I have to have something with leg room. As for setreo I am not too sure. i really dont get into that loud stuff. MY DSP in my BMW is enough for me LOL. It sounds good though. If you have Nakamichi it sounds a little better I guess? Our 96 does and it sounds alright. 0-60 isnt anything special. Maybe a high 6 but you're lookin at the low-mid 7's. Not too bad for its size. Hell, I''ll take the MPG's over performance. Our LS gets over 21 mpg, For a car this big that is very impressive!

good luck. You're buyin a great car and you've found aneven betteer forum

thanks