Cargo Net

I swore by the cargo net in my 300. It's not that I put anything in it, but it kept grocery bags standing up going up and down hills to my house from the supermarket. It basically kept items in the trunk from rolling all over. I was shocked to learn that the 400h didn't have a net. The 2 bins are supposed to replace the need. Of course if you have the net installed, the net is in the way of opening/closing (I think) of the bins. However, I'm finding that with the carpet they stick up. Now, if you want to put in a case of water, you can't because the bins have the little doors up! Of course you could organize and put your water in first and let it move all over in the back and then fill the bins. Anyone else have this dilemma? Are you having the net installed?I

At first, my wife said she missed the cargo net we had in our van. However, we buy enough groceries so that they pretty much keep themselves from moving around. Come to think of it, you really shouldn't go far with frozen stuff in the back anyway, so the trip home is completed in a gentle manner. Still, I agree that a net should be standard equipment.

I swore by the cargo net in my 300. It's not that I put anything in it, but it kept grocery bags standing up going up and down hills to my house from the supermarket. It basically kept items in the trunk from rolling all over. I was shocked to learn that the 400h didn't have a net. The 2 bins are supposed to replace the need. Of course if you have the net installed, the net is in the way of opening/closing (I think) of the bins. However, I'm finding that with the carpet they stick up. Now, if you want to put in a case of water, you can't because the bins have the little doors up! Of course you could organize and put your water in first and let it move all over in the back and then fill the bins. Anyone else have this dilemma? Are you having the net installed?I

Something else that should be standard (along with the XM radio.) :(

Have you looked into the cost of having the cargo net?? If so, how much?

Initially, I wanted the net, but when I heard about the bins I thought I'd give them a try. After 2 weeks of trying to procure boxes to put things in and having bags roll I think I need the net! The back compartment seems larger than the RX 300. I believe the cost of the net is $100. However, it needs to be installed because apparently what it attaches to isn't on the car! I jokingly told my son that I'd take the net out of the old RX 300 which I gave him.

With golf clubs, file boxes and grocery bags, I'm never quite sure what I will be carrying.

I find that two bungee cords with the standard hooks on the end put diaganolly across the back work pretty well for most things in limiting how much they slide around. The only thing that is a hassle is that the clips that Lexus has in the back are short and hard to get the bungee hooks clipped to, so I cut a portion of the bungee hook off so it is now more "J" shaped rather than "U" shaped. This works fine, but it would be better if Lexus had more clips and made them easier access

Sewell has an RX330/400h net for $40:  http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...SubCategoryID=4

I bought a cargo net for our 00 LS from Sewell.

Last time I looked, someone was selling a cargo net on ebay. I think starting bid was $19.95, free shipping. According to an email I got from the seller, they purchased the cargo net from the Lexus dealer and it requires drilling holes in order to install. Disclaimer: I have no connection to the seller or ebay.

If you can't find an appropriate cargo net or don't like the way they must attach, consider a rubber cargo mat (similar to winterized floor mats) that you can pick up at establishments ranging from auto parts stores to Sam's Club, Costco, or BJ's. We've migrated the same rubber cargo mat over the years and it works just fine to hold grocery bags, sporting goods, garden supplies, or whatever you're hauling firmly in place without netting or bungee cords. I think I paid about twenty bucks for it at BJ's about five years ago and it has held up remarkably well. To clean it you simply hose it off, scrub it with a soapy brush just like you would a winter floor mat, let it dry in the sun, and place it right back into the cargo area. The numerous rubber nubs on the underside keep it squarely in place on the carpet.

I sold her Grand Cherokee but kept the cargo mat and migrated it to my Durango. A couple of years later I sold the Durango but kept the cargo mat and migrated it to her RX300 (where it covers almost all of the floor space because the RX300 is so small). As durable as this mat has been, I expect I'll migrate it to the next SUV that shows up in our garage as well.

I have to admit that I'm too lazy to put in bungee cords, don't like rubber and plastic mats, just want something that is easy to use and looks nice. Right now I have the extra carpeted mat in the back. I do in my RX 300, too. If you line up grocery bags (they love to put a paper bag inside a plastic bag here in NJ) in front of the net, they stay, even going up and down hills. When you put things behind the net, they stay, too. I'll probably just spring for the net. I don't want to chance drilling holes in the car. Besides, I understand that any extras you put in yourself voids the warranty on the 400h!

On July 4th someone walked by and managed to scratch my door handle. Wax and scratch remover wouldn't remove the deep scratch in the plastic. I ended up getting the touch up stick at the dealer who touched up the paint for me. I do want this car to remain looking nice.

I have to admit that I'm too lazy to put in bungee cords, don't like rubber and plastic mats, just want something that is easy to use and looks nice. Right now I have the extra carpeted mat in the back. I do in my RX 300, too. If you line up grocery bags (they love to put a paper bag inside a plastic bag here in NJ) in front of the net, they stay, even going up and down hills. When you put things behind the net, they stay, too. I'll probably just spring for the net. I don't want to chance drilling holes in the car. Besides, I understand that any extras you put in yourself voids the warranty on the 400h!

On July 4th someone walked by and managed to scratch my door handle. Wax and scratch remover wouldn't remove the deep scratch in the plastic. I ended up getting the touch up stick at the dealer who touched up the paint for me. I do want this car to remain looking nice.

Any dealer that tells you that adding something to your vehicle yourself voids your warranty is full of bull. There's a federal law against that. In fact, my mechanic and I had this discussion today and he told me the name of the law but I don't recall it. I know that this subject has been discussed in this forum at length.

I have customized some of the stuff you can buy to put between rugs and hardwood floors to keep the rug from sliding. I cut the rubberized stuff to fit in the cargo area and keep a couple of bungee cords handy with it. Worked on my RX300 and works for the RX400h. Easy to roll up and stow away if you don't want it for some time. I don't like 'rubber' mats either! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit-- I miss my cargo net!!! I had actually kept the old cargo net from my last Lexus-- but couldn't get the upper aspects of the net to effectively attach to anything.

But to avoid drilling etc-- I purchased a pop up "cargo organizer" from Creekside

It folds flat but then pops up when needed and his stiff "walls" so it effectively holds grocery bags and prevents things from rolling out . I like that it folds down so I can use it only when I need it. It cost me $59

There are cheaper versions of organizers, but the flimsy walls make them useless-- (I took that one back immediatlely).

the doord of the bins open all the way to a 90degree angle providing a barrier to keep your bags from sliding.There is hooks on the inside to hang grocery bags

Because those hooks hold 4# maximum-- I find them useless.

the doord of the bins open all the way to a 90degree angle providing a barrier to keep your bags from sliding.There is hooks on the inside to hang grocery bags

...though if you typically use them for grocery bags, the weight limit is not really an issue - the bags are usually big enough to put all the weight of the contents of on the floor, and the hook is only there to keep them upright when you go around corners. I've been putting up to three full bags on each hook and driving around the mountains with no problems...

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that by Lexus service that it does need to be drilled in. I have one on my RX 300, but I don't know if it is the same either. I'm going to give in and have one installed eventually. One more shopping trip with the purchases all over the trunk isn't attractive, makes noise, etc. I have a carton box temporarily because purchases don't always "fit" into those bins.

I have a cargo net and use it for groceries and other small packages rather than using the bins. I use the bins for storage such as a small tire air compressor.

New Cargo Net Installed! Yesterday I had a net installed. It only took a few minutes and they washed the car and did it for free. Today I made use of it putting my 3 plastic bags in front of it. So, if you're missing that net, get one!

...though if you typically use them for grocery bags, the weight limit is not really an issue - the bags are usually big enough to put all the weight of the contents of on the floor, and the hook is only there to keep them upright when you go around corners. I've been putting up to three full bags on each hook and driving around the mountains with no problems...

I've found that the hooks are too low to keep my plastic bags upright but the main annoyance is you have to pop up the bin lids to use the hooks. If you have something big (say a stroller) in the trunk it covers the bin lids. If they had grocery bag hooks that somehow popped out from the side of the trunk that would be cool :) I currently use a Creekside popup organizer like bv2. Works extremely well and you can shift it around anywhere in the trunk to make room for bigger items.

My last vehicle was an Integra and my brother put in a cargo net. With the 400h, I had even more space for my groceries to fly around (nevermind my skates and gear). Bought the net through irontoad.com but then I didn't have the heart to drill on my brand new baby. The dealer installed it for free last Sunday when I took it in to make some adjustments on the personalized settings. Absolutely love the net! :D

• 1 year later...

New Cargo Net Installed! Yesterday I had a net installed. It only took a few minutes and they washed the car and did it for free. Today I made use of it putting my 3 plastic bags in front of it. So, if you're missing that net, get one!

Johnson Lexus in Durham, NC installed mine for free as well, thanks to some of the other posts on this thread! They were actually quite nice about it