Hard Time Catching Up With Lx470!

so its 1am and im almost home. then this black lx470 just flies right pass me to my right. i was doin 45 in a 40mph zone and the lx must have been doin at least 60. it pulls up to a stop and im like 2 cars away from it. light turns green and that thing comes off the line in a brisk manner; no hard acceleration. i pass the two cars in front me and attempt to play catch up with the lx but that sucker kept accelerating away. i was accelerating at 3k rpm; i had no intention of trying harder than that. i coudlnt come within a car length of it! this all happened in a hilly curve and i was impressed by how composed that lx was in the curves! not bad at all for a 3 ton vehicle. speed limit on the curve was 25 and i was probably doin a little over 30, that thing had to be goin at least 40 without breaking a sweat! i always thought the es was a fairly quick car... now i just dont know <_<

yeah, the ES is a fairly quick car, but i've learned from stoplight-experience that it is no sports car (you should try racing a few Preludes or V6 Accords sometime!) :blushing:

Sure, it can beat almost any economy car or even some midsize and low end sports cars and trucks, but its not a hard-core luxury/sports car by all means. but, it can definitely hold its own, within reason.

B)

speaking of sleeper Lexi, my best friend has a Suzuki VX800 streetbike, and he got spanked by an LS430 the other day! man, what i'd give to be able to have the 4.0 liter V8 in my ES! wouldn't that be sweet?! :D

speaking of gunning it at a light.i was on a main avenue the other day and at a red light and then a oldsmobile aurura pulled up next me and i seen the guy looking at me so i decided to gun it when it turned green but to my suprise the guy in the aurura did the same and pulled pass me pretty quick.i had no clue them aururas was that fast.so after that i made my mind up to get a new es300 maybe a 98 or 99 and then i will do some mods to that since it has more horse power stock then my 95.i guess the 95 is pretty fast but not at all a sports luxury car.maybe i should just step it up to the ls400 but i kind of like the es better.

That reminded me of ME trying to catch up to a New Beatle... MY GOODNESS that thing was quick... BUT im sure it is a lot less weight being a 2 door and i think it may have been one of the new turbo'd or sport something... i dunno.. but it was QUICK! But heck guys! least we have them all beat from 60~100mph :)

~Brian~

i know for sure the es can hold its own. i dont get much satisfaction out gunning an accord v6 or maxima. i like the es300 becuase its a lexus, if i wanted something faster id get an altima v6. too many people have that car, especially maximas and accords. anyways, those cars feel cheap imo. most of them have plastic side mirrors and in the es they're painted, in the altima they dont even fold! even the door pillars in those cars have a cheap appearnace to them. an altima or accord with leather interior and a moonroof can pretend to be a luxury car but its not as smooth or quiet as an es. ive spanked cars like the accord v6, infiniti j30, integras... and for a car that was designed with no sporting pretensions, i find that pretty damn amazing! :P

well i agree its fast for a luxury car but its not no sports car or meant to be one.i do feal however that the acura 3.2tl is also a nice car and alot faster then the es.as for alot of people owning the accord and altima i also agree but i also see a ton of es 300s running around the streets also.overall we all know the es is better then the maxima and the accord but maybe not as good as the acura tl serias but close.anyway im about to buy another es300 so that tells you how much i like them.no car compares to the queitness of the lexus.

one more story that happen tonight.i once again was on a main open road in my area and this time a maxima rolled up next to me.i think it was a 98 or 99 but not sure.anyway he wanted to race me because i could see him revving his motor and looking at the light.so of course i pushed the ect button and toke off overdrive then gunned it when it turned green but once again i was destroyed.them newer maximas are pretty fast because he flew by me pretty quick.i wish i was in my soon to be new gs400 because i would of smoked his butt.i cant wait!

I've been laughing at everyone's experience "racing" their ES's. I thought I was the only one. My wife thinks it's stupid, but hey...sometimes you just have to know.

I did have a really embarrassing experience once though. I was at a 3 lane wide stoplight that turns to two lanes shortly after the light. So if you loose, you not only loose, but you have to pull in behind the winner...very embarrasing. So anyway, I pulled up next to a mid-80's Oldsmobile something or other, white, rusty crappy car with some old guy in it. I took one glance and figured I didn't even need to try to race. So the light turns green, he peels out so I'm like "ohhh, he want's to race huh" Then I step on the gas, traction control kicks in and restricts the motor, then it finally kicks in and revs up to like 4500 and shifts pathetically...drats, I had overdrive on too. He was a car length ahead which made it very convenient to pull in behind him. :P

Then to add insult to injury, the owner of this $800 beauty gives a hand gesture as if to say "you ain't nothing."

So, I'm gun shy now...everytime I think there's a remote possibility I'll need power right away, I take traction controll off and make sure O/D is off. Also, move the suspension into "sport" mode just for good measure. :D

Happy racing. :lol:

wow.. this is great.....

you are all are right...

no sports car...

luxury/sports ... umm yea you can say that

i remember saying this before... and im sure we all agree...

the over all balance this car has.... as far as quality luxury looks speed and performance....

is the reason we love our es's so much...

- neil

i think most cars have to run hard in order to outgun an es300. one of the things i love most about the es or lexus rather is reliability. the cars (with maybe the exception of a benz) that try to outgun an es300 will literally "die" trying. :lol: and then there are those cars that can spank an es300 just by tapping the gas like the s600 or an rs6. since i only see those cars once in a blue moon, i pay more attention to the mustangs and accords i see on a daily basis...

I LOVE MY ES300!!! :D

since we are talking about out gunning cars i was out tonight with my gs400 and finally got a 98 or 99 maxima next to me that wanted to race.since i was burnt out by a 98 maxima in my 95 es300 a week or so ago i was really awaiting to kill one with my new gs.well anyway light turned green and he started out hanging with me then i pulled away like he was standing still.i was laghing my butt off since the last maxima tore me apart now i just killed one with my gs400.now i even feel better about owning the lexus and wouldnt buy any other car unless of course it was at the right price.lol

so bbsal,

this sounds appropriate to ask ...

now that you have both a base lexus ... and a higer end lexus

comparatively 95 es to a 98 gs

what do you think of them in comparison ?

is your love for the es fadding away as you realize the potential of the gs and superior performance it already offers ?

great question!i love and will allways love the es 300 95/96 model years.but now that i have the gs400 i must say its extremely impressive and it just pampers you with speed,luxarys and overall ride handling.its for sure a better car then the es 300 but like i said i love the style and performance of the es.my love will never fade away for the es and after the one i have gets older and dies then i will get another es.overall the gs400 is by far the best car i ever had but i would never stop loving my es!

man, im relieved to know that im not the only person who has raced their ES! apparently, they we are a common breed! its just so hard to resist the temptation when some little punk in his riced out Civic SI pulls up next to u thinkin he's tuff bleep just because he has $50 taillights and a weed-eater exhaust pipe! :lol: anyhow, it'd be interesting to see a list of cars that the ES can smoke, and a list of cars that put it to shame, all based on personal experience of course! here's my contribution:

smoked: an identical ES300, but stock, Neon, Civics (100's of them), Avenger, 280ZX Turbo, Avalon, Saturn 2 door, Pontiac Sunfire, Wrangler 4.0, and thats about it. all of them ricers, except for the ES!

smoked by: Accord V6, Prelude, Ford Windstar (yes, that is a minivan, but no, i wasnt ready-*BLEEP*! <_<. i mean, who'd expect a minivan to want to race!?!) and a few others, but its not really that important haha. :blushing:

lmao.i cant stop laphing after hearing that!some of them mini vans are fast!anyway i think you have a very good idea.we should all contribute and put up what we smoked and what smoked us.im going to make my list and post it shortly.lol still cant stop laphing abut the ford winstar.thats to funny.

ok heres my list.

heres what i burned up,

tons of civics

80 something accords(couple of them)

90 something ford f 150 pickup

90s mazda 626

90s mazda mx3

90s ford taureses (plenty of them)

90 something hundai sonata

1993 es 300

80 something maxiam

couple of 90 something altimas

90s nissan pathfinder

90s aucra integra

couple of chevy cavilers

90s mitsubishi eclpise

and some others i cant think of.

ok heres what smoked me,

98 maxima

98 or 99 acura 3.2 tl

98 or so acura 3.5 rl

2000 mitsubishi eclipse

old !Removed! rusty pick up truck!(almost as bad as Lex3486s mini van incedint!

mercades s 430

mercades c 320

bmw 325i

accord v6

altima v6

2002 toyota camery {not by much though}

and some others i cant remeber.lol you can tell i like to push the pedal to the metal often,i wil have a list for my new gs 400 after a couple more weeks.lol

:lol::lol::lol:

geez....

i dont race at all ....

although when someone looks at me cocky while pulled up next to me .... damn does it get really irritating....

on my list only lies a 99 GTI ... o and a Z28....

Spanked the GTI..... Got spanked by the homo built camaro...

heh, once a ford lightning pulled up next to me and reved up its engine... if yall know what those are you ... you know those are nothing to mess with....

so the light turns green... and we both floor it.... cept since the road was open i went in reverse B)

Did a 180 and went the other way... since i hadda make a U anyways... How convenient...

but i come to find out that the ES isnt all that bad in handleing...actually considering everything is still stock, i was impressed ...

<_< now wonder how the truck idiot reacted.

heh sorry its long... i was excited

nt

haha- yeah, i knew id get some heat over that minivan! :blushing: i think he got *BLEEP*ed off b/c i passed him, but i wasnt bein a jerk or anything. anyhow, next thing i know, he flys by me, so i caught up but couldnt pass b/c we were comin up on a major intersection, so.... <_< anyhow, add a like 98 or 99 Tahoe to that list of smoked cars. and if there were an "i kept up" list, i would add a 97 or 98 Eclipse, but i dont guess theres a middle ground here! haha. i have a long drive home, so i get bored sometimes. this often results in racing. haha.