93 Ls-rear End Dropped

Baby Alex

Hi, I just bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 on Saturday June 25,2005 (just a few days ago).

I went outside today and noticed the rear end of the car (driver's side) had sunk down very low!

It has air suspension. If is just a single air shock is that an inexpensive replacement?

Yes, I will do a search on this and see if I can find out anymore info that may already be on the site.

Thank you for your help.

Did you get a warranty with the car? Even a 30 day warranty?

It's an expensive fix. Dearler route, probably $1,200+.

Hi,

no I did not get a warranty. I got it from a private sale. I found it on Craigslist in New Jersey.

I flew down from Boston (where I live) to pick it up Saturday.

I was told the air suspension was serviced in the last year or so but it seems just one shock may have been replaced.

Hi,

no I did not get a warranty. I got it from a private sale. I found it on Craigslist in New Jersey.

I flew down from Boston (where I live) to pick it up Saturday.

I was told the air suspension was serviced in the last year or so but it seems just one shock may have been replaced.

That really is bad. however if you spend the money replace them you wont have any more problems for ages. or replace them with strutmaster shocks and save sum money,

It appears in September of 2003 one air shock was replaced. I am not sure where on the car though.

If it just needs one shock maybe I'll replace that in the next few weeks when I get some more money. Hopefully this problem can wait a minute.

Do you think I should tell the seller about it in case they might consider helping with the repair?

You can try but I don't think he will help. Give it a shot though.

thanks

I think you are right, but I might mention it to him anyway.

I am sure he didn't realize this was going.

That is the funny thing about cars, things can go wrong at any point.

Quite a coincidence. :pirate: You might want to see if some sort of temp repair was made (a "bandaid") to hold it long enough to get it sold. Kind of like banana oil in the engine. Not familiar w/ air suspension, but if the seller was aware it was about to go, it might give you some leverage.

Quite a coincidence.  :pirate:  You might want to see if some sort of temp repair was made (a "bandaid") to hold it long enough to get it sold. Kind of like banana oil in the engine. Not familiar w/ air suspension, but if the seller was aware it was about to go, it might give you some leverage.

I am taking it in to the Lexus Dealership this week and see what they say. I also did a search and am looking into the cost of a single air shock from Irontoad.com

Things dont magically just go like that.. Something was a temp fix.. What did you pay? What are the specs?

It was 5K.

It has 134,000 miles on it. One owner. Dealer maintained somewhat.

I called Lexus and they are trying to figure out exactly what work has been done on the suspension and when. However it seems that Lexus has a very inefficient way of searching there database.

I have to call them back again and see what they have found.

I agree with Kewl. That shock didn't just decide to completely deflate that quickly. I bet you'll find some sort of temp patch work done to keep it inflated just long enough. I bet he was out there an hour before you arrived filling it up to max capacity. I would call that guy asap and tell him what happened. Of course, it's buyer beware here, so I would be nice about it and play to his sympathic side. He has every legal right to say "you should have gotten it inspected before you paid for it." Of course, if you wrote a check, and today is monday, you might have some time to stop payment and return the car and get ready for a fight.

ummm.. 5k is not that bad.. If its in good shape that is a good deal.

I would be worried, but if regular maintenance has been done it should be okay..

For sure you have to get rid of the air ride! Check the timing belt and power steering pump.

Good luck man!

Hi, I just bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 on Saturday June 25,2005 (just a few days ago).

I went outside today and noticed the rear end of the car (driver's side) had sunk down very low!

It has air suspension.  If is just a single air shock is that an inexpensive replacement?

Yes, I will do a search on this and see if I can find out anymore info that may already be on the site.

Thank you for your help.

It won't be too, too bad if you have to foot the repair. One shock is $470 at Park Place Lexus: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...993&catalogid=1

It seems like you would be able to keep driving on it until it get so low that it rubs. <_<

ummm.. 5k is not that bad.. If its in good shape that is a good deal.

I would be worried, but if regular maintenance has been done it should be okay..

For sure you have to get rid of the air ride! Check the timing belt and power steering pump.

Good luck man!

I am going to mention it to him and see what he says. Also I keep getting put on hold with Lexus but I intend to find out about the timing belt and power steering pump also.

Lexus does not have the most efficient system for trakcing down repairs.

Thank you guys for the tips.

By the way, this car looks AMAZING. Always Garaged. I wish I had more money right now cause I wouldn't mind dumping it in a car this mint looking as I would like to keep this for a while.

I will have to repairs a bit at a time.

Timing belt has not been done :-(

I am not the smartest shopper.

I swore the guy told me it had been done but I looked at so many Lexus' that maybe I confused this with another.

I am still excited about my three day old Lexus but it's going to cost me a bit to get it up to snuff.

I need to make more money fast!

It appears in September of 2003 one air shock was replaced.  I am not sure where on the car though.

If it just needs one shock maybe I'll replace that in the next few weeks when I get some more money.  Hopefully this problem can wait a minute.

Do you think I should tell the seller about it in case they might consider helping with the repair?

Is this the only car that the seller was selling. Does he sell at least five automobiles a year. If so, you are entitled to a repair depending on what state you purchased it from regardless of an as is purchase under consumer waranty law because the air shocks deal with the driveability of the vehicle. These instances usually last up to 30days if mileage is under 100,000. However, if this is just a one time sale that the seller did, then it would not apply. This law just helps the consumer from getting totally ripped off by con dealers with a bunch of lemons.

very good point Oohryry!

Baby Alex, do...not...pay...dealership...rates! As long as you can avoid them. The only thing I pay dealer rates for is alignemnt and balance, as they seem to know how to do it to an exact science. It sounds like money might be a little tight at the moment, as with me too. I highly suggest becoming a shade tree mechanic and spend your money on tools you'll have for life and doing it yourself. It's a mother, but it'll save you a few grand in labor. Just keep on reading this site, do searches and you'll see the manual attachemtns for your car. There are also websites to get the manuals, but make sure you've got highspeed connection and about 5 hours to burn downloading all the pages. That's for about $15. I can't remember the website, maybe someone will post it later or I'll find it for you.

The dealership said it is about 12 or 1300 for the air shock and three to five hours in labor.

Does that sound possible?

I know people on here are saying it is expensive but that seems extraordinary.

That is insane. Click on the link I posted ($470 for 1 OEM air strut is a great price), spend a few hours installing it, and save over$1k. ;)

Thanks for the tips guys!

I have been doing a lot of research on this today. This is a great forum.

This guy I am sure has only sold this one car this year. He replaced it with a new LS 430.

Does anyone know if there is a way to pump this shock back up for a short term "fix"?

I have a regular mechanic but he is on vacation till the 30th. I am curious to see what he thinks of all this.

By the way, I do love the air suspension.