Transmission Cooler Installed

bicol-ini in the LS forums inspired me to install a transmission cooler on my GS3, Package arrived yesterday and I installed the cooler today, While I was in there I installed a filter also. The install took about a hour it was a simple install. Here are some pix. Thanx bicol-ini for the inspiration. B) :cheers:

post-1634-1119630469_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1119630478_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1119630489_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1119630502_thumb.jpg

post-1634-1119630514_thumb.jpg

bicol-ini in the LS forums inspired me to install a transmission cooler on my GS3, Package arrived yesterday and I installed the cooler today, While I was in there I installed a filter also. The install took about a hour it was a  simple install. Here are some pix. Thanx bicol-ini for the inspiration. B)  :cheers:

OK, After 1 day with the tranny cooler installed I can definetly feel a smoother shift [ I thought it couldn't get any smoother ] I am happy with the results. I will be taking a 1000 mile round trip next week. I will be watching the gas milage with my recent intake mod and will post the results. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A shift kit is what is used to increse the pressures in the trany to cause harder shifting.

Is it needed? Sure if you have some kind of power upgrades where the tranny slips between gears.

Can it do harm ,yes as increseing the pressures increse the heat and can caused incresed wear.

But ptowns 93 is an old car and was made in a different engineering style in compared to the newest and last GS especially

bicol-ini in the LS forums inspired me to install a transmission cooler on my GS3, Package arrived yesterday and I installed the cooler today, While I was in there I installed a filter also. The install took about a hour it was a  simple install. Here are some pix. Thanx bicol-ini for the inspiration. B)  :cheers:

So, where did you get it from?

I think thats good idea, i'm not sure about shifting but temp (summer) and how much?

I'm a litlle broke now, just replaced most of front end suspention, let me know- it might be good investment

bicol-ini in the LS forums inspired me to install a transmission cooler on my GS3, Package arrived yesterday and I installed the cooler today, While I was in there I installed a filter also. The install took about a hour it was a  simple install. Here are some pix. Thanx bicol-ini for the inspiration. B) :cheers:

So, where did you get it from?

I think thats good idea, i'm not sure about shifting but temp (summer) and how much?

I'm a litlle broke now, just replaced most of front end suspention, let me know- it might be good investment

They run about $50.00 and install in less than a hour, Any good auto shop should carry them or check online. Great investment and make sure you install a inline filter while you have the hoses off.

A smooth and light shift is bad, this causes friction witch causes heat. A shift kit changes the line pressures inside the transmission, this is usually done by changing the flow amount inside the valve body this will not cause extra heat. The drums and the pump can also be modified for power flow as well it depends how experienced the tech is and what products are made for the valve body.

Extra heat is caused by friction; witch is greater on those soft long lasting shifts. The smoother the shift the more friction on the clutches= less transmission life. Shorter, faster, firmer, shifts= longer transmission life and a better 1/4 mile time. It all depends on what you are looking for.

A weak/soft shift is not necessarily a good thing.

As for the transmission cooler, this is an excellent purchase. Depending on the climate that you live in. For instance, if the climate is a colder then it is suggested that the cooler is placed before the cars transmission cooler located inside the radiator. I’m sure there are some of you thinking that sounds weird but a lot of cars come with a factory cooler that is located on the sides of the factory radiator. This is for a couple of reasons; one is to warm the fluid up if it is cold, and to keep it cool if the transmission is heating up. Too cold of fluid is not necessarily a good thing, the fluid need to reach a preferable operating temp to reach proper viscosity.

By saying place the cooler before the radiator doesn’t mean in font of the radiator, it means placing the lines from the trans pump to the new cooler and then to the factor cooler. The fluid flow would look like this from the Pump to the new Cooler to the factory cooler and back inside the transmission. This is for colder climates.

For warm climates place the cooler after the factor cooler.

Hope this helps.

hi again i used a B & M supper cooler available in most auto stores or online

bicol-ini, Thanks again for the inspiration, I am happy to see others taking the time to do the install also. I definetly can feel the difference, And with the inline filter the fluid stays nice and red. Thanx Again :cheers:

I just installed a magnetic power steering filter on my 91 LS after reading these posts and SK's on the inline filters. Bought mine from Rockauto for about $22 and it states on the filter that it is also a tranny filter. Mine was made by A1 Cardone but it says Magneflow just as the one in the photo does. So far to date this and cleaning the rack solenoid have been the single most noticeable improvement I've made to the car. The steering went from no power assist at all to totally effortless, and it was a 5 minute job when I was flushing the fluid.

Thanks for your photos; I'll be adding a tranny cooler and tranny filter soon. :cheers:

i dcfish do you still have a copy of the repair manuals on cd like youve said before , just wondering, maybe if you can spare me one copy  ive got to check out a buddys gs300, i may need some info,:cheers:

Sure, I'll send you a set. PM me with your address I'll send them out tommorrow.:cheers:

The manual covers 1983-2000 all TOYOTA/LEXUS vehicles.

i dcfish do you still have a copy of the repair manuals on cd like youve said before , just wondering, maybe if you can spare me one copy  ive got to check out a buddys gs300, i may need some info,:cheers:

Sure, I'll send you a set. PM me with your address I'll send them out tommorrow.:cheers:

The manual covers 1983-2000 all TOYOTA/LEXUS vehicles.

I'll need that manual too, willing to pay fair price + shipping, can you get me a copy?

• 3 months later...

I will be doing this soon has anyone done a tranny and oil cooler?Any opinions?

Well here it is Feb.2nd and I just did a transmission drain and fill on the gs and the fluid looked new. I attribute this partially to the inline filter that I installed last year. I will change the filter in april and cut it open and post pix then. So the update is that the filter is doing a great job and is highly recommended to all.

bicol-ini in the LS forums inspired me to install a transmission cooler on my GS3, Package arrived yesterday and I installed the cooler today, While I was in there I installed a filter also. The install took about a hour it was a  simple install. Here are some pix. Thanx bicol-ini for the inspiration. B) :cheers:

OK, After 1 day with the tranny cooler installed I can definetly feel a smoother shift [ I thought it couldn't get any smoother ] I am happy with the results. I will be taking a 1000 mile round trip next week. I will be watching the gas milage with my recent intake mod and will post the results. B)

i wish i were more mechanically inclined!! i keep on hearing about all of these mods but they all seem so hard to do. i just bought my gs in april 2005 and it is my first car. i've lived in the city all my life so i never really needed one and never had to lay a hand on one to do any type of work. oh wells, i'm going to try some of these mods soon.

the only thing is that i'm afraid of breaking something.