Tell Me If This Is Pricey Or Not

memphis02

I took my 95 LS400 witth 140k miles out to Pep Boys today and here's the total: ~ $1835. New belts, water pump, tranny flush, oil change, tune up, filters change, fuel system cleaning.....

Those were the items i asked for. Can anyone tell me if it's overpriced or just right because $1835 is a lot to me right now, or any time for that matter. Funny how things add up (originally quote at $1077, which was fine with me) when mechanics actually open up the car. :cries: :unsure::wacko: Anywho, i'm still waiting to get the car back tonight and i'll update you guys with the exact repairs/bill. Thanks for your input.

Memphis -=

Sounds high to me but then Pep Boys are notorious for calling you after you leave your car with add ons. I have a one man shop who takes care of my LS400 - Last time in new timing belt, water pump, full tune up, tranny flush, cooling flush, oil change, rotate tires, for $780.00. No offense but I wouldn't trust the Pep Boys in San Diego with my Lexus. Hope everything works ok for you.

Memphis -=

Sounds high to me but then Pep Boys are notorious for calling you after you leave your car with add ons.  I have a one man shop who takes care of my LS400 - Last time in new timing belt, water pump, full tune up, tranny flush, cooling flush, oil change, rotate tires, for $780.00. No offense but I wouldn't trust the Pep Boys in San Diego with my Lexus.  Hope everything works ok for you.

I guess i should have checked around, I was lazy so i brought my car to Pep Boys which is within walking distance from my house. I'll know not to make the same mistake again :cries:

When you say "new belts", I assume that includes the timing belt? It should if you're doing the water pump as well. If not, you're getting ripped off big time.

I would avoid Pep Boys like the plague. I've have heard & had very bad experieces with them.

I took my  95 LS400 witth 140k miles out to Pep Boys today and here's the total: ~ $1835.  New belts, water pump, tranny flush, oil change, tune up, filters change, fuel system cleaning.....

Those were the items i asked for.  Can anyone tell me if it's overpriced or just right because $1835 is a lot to me right now, or any time for that matter.  Funny how things add up (originally quote at $1077, which was fine with me) when mechanics actually open up the car.  :cries:  :unsure:  :wacko:  Anywho, i'm still waiting to get the car back tonight and i'll update you  guys with the exact repairs/bill.  Thanks for your input.

I had one experience with Pep Boys and it was good. I had purchased a used mini-truck from a buddy. His genius son "accidentally" put 30 weight motor oil in the brake master cylinder. Firestone quoted me 1200.00 to replace the damaged parts. Pep Boys did the job for 600.00.

most places like pepboys and firestone dont reeally kno what there doing on luxury cars since they dont see them much so i would suggest finding a local guy who works on lexus's he will kno what hes doing and you can get a quote from him just to see, i took my lexus to pepboys to get xenons installed and they broke almost all of the tabs on my headlights the manager tried to buy me salvaged parts even after the employees admitted to it, i havnt gone back ever since i did get my headlights a month laterr though after i called them 100x to see what was going on. still cant believe he tried to buy me salvage parts

When you say "new belts", I assume that includes the timing belt? It should if you're doing the water pump as well. If not, you're getting ripped off big time.

yeah it includes timing belt

If you take your car to Pep Boys or any other shop that works on all makes you are a braver man than me. Try to stick with mechanics that specialize in your brand. Your odds of success are ten fold. A Toy-Lex shop would have known what they were getting into and stuck to their estimate. If Pep Boy's job works out its all good though.

I took my  95 LS400 witth 140k miles out to Pep Boys today and here's the total: ~ $1835.  New belts, water pump, tranny flush, oil change, tune up, filters change, fuel system cleaning.....

Ouch...

I was quoted $1800 at Lexus of Tulsa for the same work.