Headlights

daffy

Hi,

I have a 1991 Ls400 with 256,000 miles and still running strong. Both of my headlights have stone chips. I see clips holding the glass in, is it possible just to replace the glass lenses? I would think this would reduce the price and labor to replace. Thanks

u could do that but the sell pretty cheap on ebay do a search for lexus headlight or ls400 lights and it should come up and it will probably run your $150 at most with shipping

Removing the early headlight lens and then gluing it back on is not particularly easy anyway. There are several tutorials around. I can't seem to locate one of the tutorials for the LS, but a similar one for a Toyota Supra is at http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html

"Oven Temperature: about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife of dull screwdriver to separate the headlights."

The clips on the early LS400 headlight assemblies seem to be "just for show" or perhaps they are only for holding the lens in place until the glue dries.

When I once removed the clips on my 90 LS headlight, I expected the lens to just pop off like it did on my Mercedes with Euro-code headlights. Replacing one of the huge Mercedes Euro-code headlight lens took just a few minutes.