Timing Belt, And While You Are In There...

benjatelcom

I'm planning on changing my timing belt next week, and I have heard a rumor that I should change my tensioners at the same time. Is this true?

Are there other parts to change as well? Water pump? I already have caps/rotors ready to go.

Thanks,

Ben

Have fun :)

For sure replace the tensioners and the water pump. Since you will have it all torn apart I would replace just about anything you can get at. You may even want to swap out the alternator also. Since your already dirty I would recommend dropping in some new spark plugs also at that time.

I got a do mine soon. I'm just wondering if I should just pay someone and save myself the headache and time.

You may also consider replacing the cam & crankshaft seals as well.

I've been kicking myself for a while for not changing those when we did the timing belt. :chairshot:

I myself should have replaced those items but the technician said that the water pump was fine and that it didnt need to be replaced. So I thought , "No need to touch or replace something thats working properly..."

I have the same problem.

My 1990 LS400 had timing belt changed at dealer the last time. Now, after 75k miles, I have oil leak at the crankshaft. It creates a mess at the oil pan area and all the areas toward the rear of the car. I cleaned it up but it kept coming back after about 1k. It is a real mess down there.

Apparently the dealer didn't change the crankshaft seal. They did change the cam seals though.

Can the oil leak at crankshaft cause damage to the timing belt, may be in 4 to 5 years from now?

Should I have only the seal changed now? And if so, I think I'd change the timing belt too.

Or, should I just live with the mess for now and wait until the timing belt gets to its 90k-life (approx. 4 to 5 years from now) then take care of the whole thing (timing belt, water pump, coolant pipe O-ring, pulleys, tensioner, cam and crankshaft seals,...) to save the labor charge?

Thanks.

I have the same problem.

My 1990 LS400 had timing belt changed at dealer the last time. Now, after 75k miles, I have oil leak at the crankshaft. It creates a mess at the oil pan area and all the areas toward the rear of the car. I cleaned it up but it kept coming back after about 1k. It is a real mess down there.

Apparently the dealer didn't change the crankshaft seal. They did change the cam seals though.

Can the oil leak at crankshaft cause damage to the timing belt, may be in 4 to 5 years from now?

Should I have only the seal changed now? And if so, I think I'd change the timing belt too.

Or, should I just live with the mess for now and wait until the timing belt gets to its 90k-life (approx. 4 to 5 years from now) then take care of the whole thing (timing belt, water pump, coolant pipe O-ring, pulleys, tensioner, cam and crankshaft seals,...) to save the labor charge?

Thanks.

yeah, it's really no reason why anyone should not change those 3 seals while everything is apart for tb/water pump replacement.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=19816

i hope VMF/Lextreme/lexls can add the steps of replacing 3x seals to their tutorials as part of the 'required' parts so that folks can 'remember' to change them out.

it's also definately a good timing to replace the drive-belt (not the timing-belt) tensioner assembly ($65! including a new pulley).

these small things (about $100 for 3xseals and tensioner) are rather inexpensive parts, but what kills you is the labor cost (by shop) or your time (DIY) to reach them if you don't do them now!

as far as water pump is concerned, there are no if's nor but's, just change it regardless it's condition. we have seen some reported cases here that seized up water pump broke timing belt. also, do 100% coolant (toyota long-life red) flush-n-refill is not a bad idea at all since half of the coolant is gone already when you get it apart.