2001 Rx300 Only $10,000 !

LexKid630

For the past month or so i have been looking for an 01-03 rx300 in the indigo ink pearl for my daughter who will be driving next year. I thought by buying it soon, it would have low mileage, and would be in the best condition. The best rx300 on the road.

The whole reason my daughter wants this specific model is becasue my aunt has a 2001 in the indigo ink pearl, and my daugher absolutely loves it. I know my aunt is one of the worse drivers, even worse than me, so i thought i would do my own search on maybe an 03. but i have found NO luck so far on an 03, and well lets just say the chances of finding an 03 rx with low mileage are almost gone, 2 years already being passed.

But, now my aunt has decided that she no longer wants her 2001 rx, and wants a new 05 rx330. She, knowing how much my daughter wants this rx300, told me that she would be willing to sell her 2001 rx300 for only $10,000 !!!!

I am a little worried about buying hers because i know how bad of a driver she is. I've also had 2 rx300's of my own, all of which had problems at aorund 50k+ miles.

Her 2001 rx300 is the indigo ike pearl on ivory, paint in decent condition considering it has NEVER been washed or waxed in the almost 5 years she's owned it. There are a few scratches which show the stupid white primer. Also the drivers outside handle is scraped a TON. There are minor rock chips on the front hood, and a large chip in the windshield over the right windshield wiper. A week after she purchased it in late 2000, her daughter backed into her garage, so the rear bumper was replaced and re-painted. The drivers door was ra-painted as well because a car hit her on the side. Also on the right side, the window behind the rear passenger window is warped a bit. i have no idea why this is...There is also a stainless steel grille guard on the front.

The interior smells like a doctors office, since she is a full-time nurse. she does not smoke thank God. The ivory leather is fine, except the drivers seat is as shiny as the wood steering wheel. There are also a few creases on the left side and center portions of the drivers seat, sort of look like dry skin (which is what it is lol).

The rx300 has xenons, i think? and a spoiler. It does not have navigation, which i think i want my daughter to have. I think this can be installed though?

It has 49,500 miles on it; mostly highway. she was also the origional owner; unfortunately, which makes me worry a bit. she had it serviced every time it needed to be and had lexus do all reapirs + oil changes etc.

But she is offering it to me for only $10,000, so i really don't know what to do. That's about a 15k difference in price! but the thing is, i don't want this to be breaking down a lot in a few years. Will i be putting $15k into it within the next few years just trying to keep it up? Should i just wait a while to get an 03 rx300 with maybe only 15k miles on it, in better condition?

I have no idea what to do. The deal seems too good to be true. Please give me some suggestions?? Thanks

Also, my aunts 01 rx300 doesn't have much of the warrany remaining, where at a lexus dealer i get 3 years 100k miles, and full inspection. by the time my daughter starts to drive, the rx300 will be 5 years old!! That's probably half the life already!

I also know for a fact that my aunt put mid-grade gasoline in it it's whole life. I have no idea if this helps me...

I would buy the aunts 2001 rx300. You couldn't buy another reliable car for that price. If you have any doubts take it to your favorite Lexus mechanic and have him go over it in detail for mechanical problems since it is still under factory warranty for a short time. Change the oil and tranny fluid.

The money you put in will not exceed, by a long shot, the difference you would pay for another quality vehicle. Just my two cents worth. Good luck !!!! :)

If it has never had any major problems it sounds like a no brainer go for it. Don't worry about the grade of fuel it's not a problem, I always put 87 in mine. 70-30% town to hwy and average 18.8MPG. The small scratches and dings on a kids first car are a plus, almost every kid will have a small altercation with something and a perfect car will really get the parents upset when this happens. My kids would have given their eye teeth for a car that nice. They got a 92 Caviler wagon with 100K miles, it made it through 3 kids and a few minor altercations. LOL The RX is a very safe car for a young girl and she will be proud to own it. The Nav install will cost more to install than you will want to spend. If you must have it I would buy this car and keep looking for one from a dealer and then trade it in. Tell the Aunt she loved the car but kept getting lost so you upgraded. LOL Good luck.

Jeff

Yep, as much as I hate abused/neglected vehicles, this is too good a deal to pass up. And it sounds as if your aunt's RX has been more on the neglected side rather than truly abused. Buy that sucker, change the fluids and filters, set a couple grand aside for a maintenance fund, and tell your daughter that you expect her to show a lot more care for this vehicle than your aunt ever did.

You have the advantage of knowing the person who owned this vehicle and you can easily find out if she indeed has it serviced by Lexus. Cosmetics shouldn't be perfect when you're handing a vehicle to your daughter for the very first time because she's not gonna keep the car perfect anyway. My daughter's first car at age 16 was a five-year-old 1986 Honda CRX. She kept that puppy for seven years and got more than 100,000 more miles out of it. I taught her all about car care on that thing and we had some good times getting greasy together.

So go for it, buddy. As ReXus pointed out above, if it turns out that your daughter doesn't like it, you can still sell it for a profit and find something else.

That is a good idea to buy it then sell it for a profit; i never thought of it.

and yeah i know what you mean kids do destroy cars when they're young LOL. My son got in 4 accidents within the first year he had it. it still runs though!!!

this is a great deal, i guess it can't hurt to get it. Thanks guys.

I just can't wait for my aunt to get her new rx330. This is a great deal. My daughter could care less what year it is, neither do i as long as it runs fine.

If you don't buy it.  Tell ME where it is and I will buy it!

It is a great price for an 01 rx300, but it IS my aunts rx300. I guess it's better than spending almost double for the same thing @ a dealer!

I just have to wait for her to buy a new car so she gets rid of it before she puts any more miles on it. Waiting for her is like waiting for the sun to burn out, if you know what i mean lol

I just think she wants to get rid of it, and figured she could do a good dead at the same time. she's got the money, her husband being a doctor. I actually don't think she really knows how much it's really worth. I think 10k is a little too generous ;)