Fuel Pump

Kennyr

I never see anything written about fuel pumps on this site. How long do they last and will the higher pressure pump offered for $130 on Lextreme work on a stock 91 LS400? Who else sells an inexpensive pump for this car?

I never see anything written about fuel pumps on this site. How long do they last and will the higher pressure pump offered for $130 on Lextreme work on a stock 91 LS400? Who else sells an inexpensive pump for this car?

They last forever. I have yet heard of problems with Fuel pumps.

yeah, me neither, make sure you change ur fuel filter every 30-45k:)

The Lexus mechanic who advises me when I get in a bind told me they have changed a couple pumps. I change my filter every 60,000 miles. This last time some real dirty fuel came out of it. I blew through it and it was partially restricted compared to the new one. I had some bad fuel a while back, this could have plugged up the filter. Anyway thanks for the input. I guess I will just let my pump ride on. I read so much about control arm bushings etc. Mine at 145k are all looking real good still. My car spent the first 8 years in California and the last in Colorado.

kenny, you will hear when you pump is about to go. they make the whining noise.

th change the pump remove the rear seat and you will see the location of the handle, you will have to unscrew few screws and the you will be able to pull it out.

these questions about how long things last is well kind of trivial. pumps will go out eventually. but this question is kind of like how long does a heart pump blood? well i guess lots of things affect both. no real answer.

these questions about how long things last is well kind of trivial. pumps will go out eventually. but this question is kind of like how long does a heart pump blood? well i guess lots of things affect both. no real answer.

Fuel pumps seem to die within a milege range on lots of vehicles, therefore you could change them like changing your spark plugs etc. This keeps you from breaking down when your on a trip or during a work related function if you drive for work. In this case I guess its not an issue. It is nice how easy they are to get to on these cars.

And when they do finally decide to break, you'll be 2 miles from a gas station, at night, in the rain and probably in the back woods somewhere with banjo's playing off in the distance. Fuel pumps tend to obey Murphy's Law...If it can....it will. :censored::blink:

Oh wait, sorry, this isn't the Chevy forum....Ooops, my bad.

... but this question is kind of like how long does a heart pump blood?

Good analogy, except that I'm hesitant to judge the life of the car based on the fuel pump's ability to keep going. :lol:

Plus, and I'm no surgeon, it seems like a fuel pump transplant is waaaay easier than open-heart surgery. :pirate:

... but this question is kind of like how long does a heart pump blood?

Good analogy, except that I'm hesitant to judge the life of the car based on the fuel pump's ability to keep going. :lol:

Plus, and I'm no surgeon, it seems like a fuel pump transplant is waaaay easier than open-heart surgery. :pirate:

in fact it takes around 30-60 minutes to change it depending on your skils

in fact it takes around 30-60 minutes to change it depending on your skils

That’s not bad at all. I once spent 10 days trying to replace the fuel pump on my 1991 Saab, and I ruined the sending unit. And guess what… It wasn’t the fuel pump :D

Fuel pumps seem to die within a milege range on lots of vehicles, therefore you could change them like changing your spark plugs etc. This keeps you from breaking down when your on a trip

Toyota electric fuel pumps have a reputation of lasting roughly 30 years / 500,000+ miles if the fuel filter is changed once in awhile (a restricted filter could theoretically cause the fuel pump to work harder and hotter) and if the owner doesn't drive with the gas gauge on the Empty mark alot (gasoline helps cool the pump).

About the only Toyota fuel system component that may fail at high mileage is the fuel pressure regulator. And in the road salt / rust belt states corrosion may lead to problems with the wiring or relays in the fuel system

Fuel pumps seem to die within a milege range on lots of vehicles, therefore you could change them like changing your spark plugs etc. This keeps you from breaking down when your on a trip

Toyota electric fuel pumps have a reputation of lasting roughly 30 years / 500,000+ miles if the fuel filter is changed once in awhile (a restricted filter could theoretically cause the fuel pump to work harder and hotter) and if the owner doesn't drive with the gas gauge on the Empty mark alot (gasoline helps cool the pump).

About the only Toyota fuel system component that may fail at high mileage is the fuel pressure regulator. And in the road salt / rust belt states corrosion may lead to problems with the wiring or relays in the fuel system

That was a cheap shot about Chevy's. Not that I ever owned one. Actually I rented a couple of them and they tended to put a damper on these vacations. Seriously a lot of things break on these high milege LS's. Keeping a car running and looking perfect is the fun part for me though. Anyone can own a new car. What fun is that?

Chevy's deserve the cheap shot. I had a 94 Camaro with the LT-1 engine, and that fuel pump failed, like they all do, at about 90 k miles. To access it requires removing the rear axle, and then dropping the tank, just a bit, because the five lines in and out don't have enough slack to let the tank out fully. Huge cost in parts and labour.

Ford pick-up trucks eat their fuel pumps, and removing the box on them is one solution, like the Chevy trucks. Ford tanks can be dropped out the bottom, but if the tank is full......

Toyota pumps have a reputation for longevity, which is only slightly sullied by the exception to the rule. The rule with Chev and Ford is the pumps fail early.

Chevy's deserve the cheap shot.  I had a 94 Camaro with the LT-1 engine, and that fuel pump failed, like they all do, at about 90 k miles. Ford pick-up trucks eat their fuel pumps, and removing the box on them is one solution, like the Chevy trucks. 

Reminds me of a time, about 13 years ago, when the fuel pump went out on my bosses near new (3 years old) Chevy pickup. When my boss realized the pickup bed would have to be removed to access the pump, he was so angry about the situation that he got out a big metal cutting saw and started drilling a hole in the bed to get to the fuel pump !! The company secretary looked on in horror as the company truck was being butchered, just to replace a fuel pump !!

HAHAHA!!!! :lol:

I had a 94 4 door Jimmy SLT, biggest hunk of crap ever made. I did like the driving position though, and it was nearly impossible to get stuck, well, until it overheated, which was often. My dad has a 02' Envoy with 28,000 miles on it. He bought it new. It's been recalled 8 times, and now it needs new suspension bushings! Hahahaha, what a joke! Pay $35 grand for something like that. Ever notice that almost every GM vehicle will need a new alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor between 39k-45k miles? Right about the time the 3 year / 36k mile warranties expire. I read an article a long time ago about how they use hardend plastic bearings in those components that are designed to actually wear out at certain times, so the owner has to buy new ones. I don't know what it is about american automobiles, but they just can't stand up like the Jap's. I bought the Jimmy in 96 with 31,000 miles. Traded it in 98' with 54k miles for a 99' Subaru outback. 2 years and 23k miles cost me:

2 brake jobs, drive shaft, 2 steering pumps, 1 alternator, 1 a/c compressor, new leaf springs, weather strip for all doors "leaked water like crazy", new seat frame, RUST bubbles under paint, 3 batteries, 1 starter, 2 sets of tires, 2 thermostats, 1 fuel pump, hundreds of gallons of new fluids and countless hours hunting for rattles. Now you would think I beat the car up, not the case. Pampered it, even took it easy when off road which wasn't but a few times. Just a hunk of crap. GMC = Generally Made Crap.

ok guys. how do i get to the fuel filter in my 91 ls400. im one of those guys who drives with the gas needle on e every once and a while and now my car wont crank. it turns over like it wants to but when it gets to the point its supposed to fire up. it just doesnt. like its not getting any gas. so is that my problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Walbore fuel is for high performance only..  Like FI applications..

We have seen many walbro pump fail ;) . It's scary that the pump fail at WOT and leave a couple of holes in the pistons.

JP Importz