Ls400 Cold, Ice, Snow And Salt

akewlguy

93 - LS400 with 160k that has timing belt changed at 120k. I plan on completing a test drive, but according to owner all Lexus maintenance and car runs perfect. Before my test drive my concerns include 10 years of northern salt damage may have damaged exhaust, AC, LCD, steering pump and lower ball joints? Customer is willing to get rid of car for $6,500, what ya think..? Or should I just spend about 12k and get something with less miles...

THIS WEBSITE IS wonderful for new and experienced Lexus owners.. Thank you so much! I have read the articles on mileage and buying a LS400, but would like more opinion on the facts of this deal...

My personal opinion, I would not buy the car. I've had cars from the north "94 GMC Jimmy" that I bought w/ 30k miles. The paint started to bubble at 40k miles "rust" and lots of it. BUT, I see you're in Conn, and I'm sure that it's tough to find a car that hasn't been exposed to the road salt up there. So, I would want to know where it lived. Was it garaged? The owner have it washed a lot with undercarrage spray? And I would definetly have a trust mechanic look at it "and ask to join him" when he put it on the lift. It's a tough call. I'd also take a good look at the rubber parts too, especially the control arm bushings. That road salt can eat those things alive!

93 - LS400 with 160k that has timing belt changed at 120k. I plan on completing a test drive, but according to owner all Lexus maintenance and car runs perfect. Before my test drive my concerns include 10 years of northern salt damage may have damaged exhaust, AC, LCD, steering pump and lower ball joints?      Customer is willing to get rid of car for $6,500, what ya think..?    Or should I just spend about 12k and get something with less miles... 

THIS WEBSITE IS wonderful for new and experienced Lexus owners.. Thank you so much! I have read the articles on mileage and buying a LS400, but would like more opinion on the facts of this deal...

Any idea if the car has been rust-proofed? :unsure: Where was the car parked during it's life (IE underground, garage, outside, heated garage etc). If all service records were performed, chances are the body was cared for with frequent car washes.....if you get a mechanical inspection, have the mechanic look at the undercarriage to get an idea of the condition of the body when it's on the hoist.

Many think buying a vehicle that has seen winters with road salt etc is bad........it's not if it was properly cared for with many washes & rust-proofing. Salt only damages a vehicle if the temp goes above freezing in the winter when covered heavily with salt........most flush the car when it's milds up preventing any body damage. B)

:cheers:

The reason I am thinking of this car is it has trac control and he replaced lower ball joints, timing belt and one axle.. Also he has all Lexus receipts showing maintenance.. I am looking at other options, but to me 95, 94, 93 are close enough to take the one that has records and 4k of maintenance that I would have to do..

Thanks for all the input and I will continue to search before my test drive.

What is funny is that I say well what about AC, LCD and lower ball joints.. This web site has helped me with the questions I need to ask..

95 and up is a different generation, lighter, bigger, faster and more powerful, i'm not talkin about the ride comfort and options.

The reason I am thinking of this car is it has trac control and he replaced lower ball joints, timing belt and one axle.. Also he has all Lexus receipts showing maintenance.. I am looking at other options, but to me 95, 94, 93 are close enough to take the one that has records and 4k of maintenance that I would have to do..

Thanks for all the input and I will continue to search before my test drive.

What is funny is that I say well what about AC, LCD and lower ball joints.. This web site has helped me with the questions I need to ask..

If a car was maintained as well as you say this one has been..........the body condition should speak for itself. B)

:cheers: