Performance Question

Riad

This is the second RX my wife and I have owned. The newest one is a 2004 RX-330 that has about 35,000 miles on it (yeah we drive it).

This car is seriously underpowered, as I'm sure most of you know. Are there any engine mods that have been done to increase the HP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

This is the second RX my wife and I have owned.  The newest one is a 2004 RX-330 that has about 35,000 miles on it (yeah we drive it). 

This car is seriously underpowered, as I'm sure most of you know.  Are there any engine mods that have been done to increase the HP?

Rob

For RX300, I removed the resonator, custom made a cold air collection horn, and replace OEM paper filter with K&N. I would avoid Weapon R short ram since it is sucking hot air within the engine bay.

This is the second RX my wife and I have owned.  The newest one is a 2004 RX-330 that has about 35,000 miles on it (yeah we drive it). 

This car is seriously underpowered, as I'm sure most of you know.  Are there any engine mods that have been done to increase the HP?

Rob

I was told to use premium gas. Tried a tank and it did not seem to help. Then a serivce manager told me to wait for at least 2-3 tankfuls. The computer needs to learn the higher octane.

It does help. I feel a difference now. Perhaps not really woth it but it all helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using premium gas in the car since we bought it, and that does help a bit.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will certainly try them as well.

I guess it's where you're coming from. I find my RX300 a rocket-sled. But then again, I drove my 1994 Honda Civic manual 5spd 4-banger for 11 years.

And at this point, with the great stereo, I'm actually sad to get to my destination, because the car is so nice to ride in.

Reset your ECU, then go out and do some full throttle acceleration runs, then get on it every once in awhile for a couple hundred miles. This will make the ECU learn a more agressive driving style and you should see better performance. On IS300's this techinque has showed +15 HP between before and after dyno runs.

Reset your ECU, then go out and do some full throttle acceleration runs, then get on it every once in awhile for a couple hundred miles.  This will make the ECU learn a more agressive driving style and you should see better performance.  On IS300's this techinque has showed +15 HP between before and after dyno runs.

How can one reset the ECU?

Resetting the ecu will only give you a few days of improved performance as the computer remaps to your driving .

Great if you want instant power on a dyno but not for a real performance change

Rob

Just a reminder the the RX300 is a SUV not a sportscar. If you wanted speed you should have purchased a Ferrari :D

I have a 2004 Carrera 4S, no Ferrari needed :)

However, there is a difference between performance driving an having an underpowered engine. If I'm driving in traffic and step on the gas to change lanes there is about a 2 sec. lag before the engine kicks in.

This is not trying to take the SUV to 190mph or to beat some 0-60 times it's a matter of safety.

I love the RX-330, and our old RX-300, but if I could change one thing it would be drop a new engine in there with about 280HP.

ymmv,

Rob

Reset your ECU, then go out and do some full throttle acceleration runs, then get on it every once in awhile for a couple hundred miles.  This will make the ECU learn a more agressive driving style and you should see better performance.  On IS300's this techinque has showed +15 HP between before and after dyno runs.

How can one reset the ECU?

Disconnect the negative (BLACK) battery terminal for about 15-20 minutes, then take the car out and drive hard for 15-20 miles. Then, every once in awhile make a couple of hard runs. If you go back to a sedate driving style, the ECU will relearn that, but if you get on it occassionally, the ECU will learn that driving style.

I have a 2004 Carrera 4S, no Ferrari needed :)

However, there is a difference between performance driving an having an underpowered engine.  If I'm driving in traffic and step on the gas to change lanes there is about a 2 sec. lag before the engine kicks in.

This is not trying to take the SUV to 190mph or to beat some 0-60 times it's a matter of safety.

I love the RX-330, and our old RX-300, but if I could change one thing it would be drop a new engine in there with about 280HP.

ymmv,

Rob

OH MY BAD, I though you were talking about overall performance. Ya I think the Lag Issue is with all RX300's. Mine too has a 2 sec delay. Its gotten a little better since I switched to synthetic oil. But I think it more a design flaw.