Mileage / Battery Use On 400h

So I took delivery yesterday.

I have been very careful not to do jack rabbit starts but the best I can do in full battery mode is 22mph flat before the engine kicks in. The total mileage is 19 mpg at present.

Any ideas if this is the normal state? If so .....

Note I have not yet achieved a fully charged battery.

Just took my Rx400h on a second day 600 mile trip.

22 mpg on express way at 65 to 80 probably average of low 70's, with little steady spead to facilitate breakin. I returned towing a 1000 lb boat at 65 to 70 average with boat got 16 mpg. Once I got off the interstate the indicated mileage would jump dramaticly.

Mileages double checked by fillups. The cars incicated milage was very close to actual. My odometer is actually 2.5% long IE 10 miles indicated is 10.25 miles. Speedometer is 2 mph high at 65 IE 65 indicted is actually 63.

Ron

I have been very careful not to do jack rabbit starts but the best  can do in full battery mode is 22mph flat before the engine kicks in.  The total mileage is 19 mpg at present.

Any ideas if this is the normal state?  If so .....

Forgot to add my indicated battery charge is virtually unchanged at about 80%. Only way I got it to change was long bout of trying nav system stopped in driveway caused it to discharge to about 60%.

Ron

22 mpg on express way at 65 to 80 probably average of low 70's, with little steady spead to facilitate breakin. I returned towing a 1000 lb boat at 65 to 70 average with boat got 16 mpg.  Once I got off the interstate the indicated mileage would jump dramaticly.

Mileages double checked by fillups. The cars incicated milage was very close to actual. My odometer is actually 2.5% long IE 10 miles indicated is 10.25 miles. Speedometer is 2 mph high at 65 IE 65 indicted is actually 63.

Ron

I have been very careful not to do jack rabbit starts but the best  can do in full battery mode is 22mph flat before the engine kicks in.  The total mileage is 19 mpg at present.

Forgot to add my indicated battery charge is virtually unchanged at about 80%. Only way I got it to change was long bout of trying nav system stopped in driveway caused it to discharge to about 60%.

Ron

22 mpg on express way at 65 to 80 probably average of low 70's, with little steady spead to facilitate breakin. I returned towing a 1000 lb boat at 65 to 70 average with boat got 16 mpg.  Once I got off the interstate the indicated mileage would jump dramaticly.

Ron

Ron, we all will be watching this. Performance is about 25% the reason I would purchase the 400, 22mph before the engine starts, thought is was about 30mph.

What is you avg around town mileage?

With cruise control set to about 67 mph, mostly flat freeway (a couple rolling hills), A/C off, CD player on, I got 27.3 MPG. That was over about 20 minutes, on the freeway only. Then after I exited the freeway and drove for about 3 more minutes in the city (stopping at stop signs and traffic lights etc) the average MPG went up to 27.8

I have not yet achieved :D the mythical fully-charged battery either, but I've only had the vehicle for 2 days.

I have been very careful not to do jack rabbit starts but the best I can do in full battery mode is 22mph flat before the engine kicks in.  The total mileage is 19 mpg at present.

When I am driving around town, the gas engine seems to be running all the time, so I find it really difficult to tell when the gas engine puts power to the wheels vs when the electric motor is powering the wheels or both. I don't really hear or feel anything different. I have to keep glancing at the power display to see what is driving the wheels. I also have to check the display to know when the rear motor kicks in. The motors all work together really smoothly.

Is there a "pep" change when the engine kicks in over the battery power? do you feel anything? besides sound...

I have been very careful not to do jack rabbit starts but the best I can do in full battery mode is 22mph flat before the engine kicks in.  The total mileage is 19 mpg at present.

All of the "How-it-works" descriptions stated that the RX400h can go 41 MPH without use of the gas engine. However, the manual states 20 or 21 MPH before the engine kicks in. This is similar to that of the Prius. I'm averaging about 26-28 MPG, judging by my gage. However, since I don't what what the milage was when the dealership filled the tank, I can't be certain until I top it off and run it down somewhat. I would expect that the engine will loosen up a bit, allowing the milage to increase.

Do you guys have any pictures or screen shots of the display that shows the engine and electric motor output... any cool graphics or anything on your console display? I don't have a brochure... Or maybe there is a web link to that?

Its'completely smooth with no complaints on acceleration or braking or the transition from electric to/from gas. It just seems that the gas engine kicks in way too easily when accelerating at lower speeds.

I tried to stay at the "threshold" not to go into gas mode and I was getting some serious horn honks from behind. It felt as if I was going too slow even for my own tastes. And I'm not a jack rabbit starter!

Maybe I have a dud!

I'll take it in on Monday and have the mechanic give me a real tutorial.

Its'completely smooth with no complaints on acceleration or braking or the transition from electric to/from gas.  It just seems that the gas engine kicks in way too easily when accelerating at lower speeds.

I tried to stay at the "threshold" not to go into gas mode and I was getting some serious horn honks from behind.  It felt as if I was going too slow even for my own tastes. And I'm not a jack rabbit starter!

Maybe I have a dud!

I have noticed that with cruise control and gentle hills the engine will shut down on gentle downhills up to about 65mph. Above that it will not shut down. I believe that the computer is programed so that you are more likely to get engine shutdown on cruise control than manual control

Ron

Its'completely smooth with no complaints on acceleration or braking or the transition from electric to/from gas.  It just seems that the gas engine kicks in way too easily when accelerating at lower speeds.

I tried to stay at the "threshold" not to go into gas mode and I was getting some serious horn honks from behind.  It felt as if I was going too slow even for my own tastes. And I'm not a jack rabbit starter!

Maybe I have a dud!

Do let us know what the mechanics say. My gas engine seems to be on a lot also, most of the time in fact. I figure it's charging my electric battery. It only seems to shut off when I am stopped at a light or when I am at very low parking lot speeds.

Do you guys have any pictures or screen shots of the display that shows the engine and electric motor output... any cool graphics or anything on your console display?  I don't have a brochure...  Or maybe there is a web link to that?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/sets/257516/

Click the little next link to the left to scroll through. Enjoy!

Maybe I have a dud!

Do let us know what the mechanics say. My gas engine seems to be on a lot also, most of the time in fact. I figure it's charging my electric battery. It only seems to shut off when I am stopped at a light or when I am at very low parking lot speeds.

I put another 100 miles on car today. Up to 800 now. About 1/2 expressway at 65 to 70 and other 2 lanes at 35 to 60. Car got 24.7mpg in blowing snow. It was about 36 degrees here today blowing snow and windy.

I as others cannot get the car to stay shutdown in manual mode but in cruise at 35-45 mph on rolling hills it spends a lot of time shut down. I believe that the way computers are set up it is not likely that you can get much in the way of engine shutdown without using cruise control. I have even tried driving with the +/- part of the cruise and can get a lot of engine shutdown time.

It's obvious that this car is best at city driving and "slow" less than 70 mph on the expressway in order for the technology to get the best effect from engine shutdown.

Ron

It's obvious that this car is best at city driving and "slow" less than 70 mph on the expressway in order for the technology to get the best effect from engine shutdown.

Ron

I agree. Some traffic lights don't turn green for 5 minutes and typical "slow & go" traffic eats up gas in a non-hybrid vehicle. I start out very slowly when there is no one behind me, but drive with the flow when expected to. I did notice that the manual states that 87 octane is acceptable, but increased performance may be realized if higher octane fuel is used. I appreciate this option, as premium gas costs significantly more than regular.

Ours now has 335 miles on it. Have not seen the fully charged battery, but not concerned. Just filled up the tank with 13.78 gallons and did that 335 on it (picked up from dealer with 2 miles) so I think it was like 25mpg. Thats with about 160 miles of fast freeway driving (65-80mph) and then local 'round town driving.

Pretty impressed with this car (its my wifes) but I am concerned with one hybrid aspect....when the gas motor comes on and off as needed....through our lives we always here that starting a traditional motor is the hardest thing on a car, well I notice this rx400's gas motor starts up and stops A LOT, how is this going to be for engine life?.

Anyways, so far love the ride and speed of the car. Oh yeah, wife wanted to buy herself some custom wheels (20") I tried talkin her out of it but she had the money burning a whole in her pocket...so she finds the wheels she has to have but the guy said they are special order from Japan and will take 2 months! haha, I WIN!

But like I said in another thread, I dont wanna take a chance with messing with the wheel circumference.

Dear Forum Readers:

Also my first trip to the gas station. For 330 incremental miles, I needed to pump to the MAX 12.25 gallons of good ole Shell V-Power. I guess that equates to approximately 27mpg, which meets the "highway" projection.

Driving style? I would say approximately 95% on the freeway to date, with little or no traffic, driving between 55-80 on the highway, A/C on, Navi on, and Stereo on. Surprisingly, in those modes where we had stop-and-go traffic (the one that comes to mind is at the 101 / 110 merge in downtown Los Angeles), the battery shines and the MPG consumption graph goes hog wild.

I also have a similar gripe with the spontaneous engine starting. However, with the removal of any upshifting / downshifting due to CVT, I guess this is a reasonable compromise from a "feel" standpoint. We'll see how the long term durability / reliability ends up - I guess the extra warranty helps to ease some of my concerns.

Oh well, to my wife (who will be the primary driver) her favorite features are as follows - perhaps I should have bought the 330 instead? :):

1) The automatic rear door opener (available on both the 330 and the 400h)

2) The Navigation system (available on both the 330 and the 400h)

3) Homelink (available on most commercial vehicles >$15k)

I wish my wife had as sophisticated taste as yours! 20" Rims from Japan? Wow!

Regards,

Peter

Ours now has 335 miles on it. Have not seen the fully charged battery, but not concerned. Just filled up the tank with 13.78 gallons and did that 335 on it (picked up from dealer with 2 miles) so I think it was like 25mpg. Thats with about 160 miles of fast freeway driving (65-80mph) and then local 'round town driving.

Pretty impressed with this car (its my wifes) but I am concerned with one hybrid aspect....when the gas motor comes on and off as needed....through our lives we always here that starting a traditional motor is the hardest thing on a car, well I notice this rx400's gas motor starts up and stops A LOT, how is this going to be for engine life?.

Anyways, so far love the ride and speed of the car. Oh yeah, wife wanted to buy herself some custom wheels (20") I tried talkin her out of it but she had the money burning a whole in her pocket...so she finds the wheels she has to have but the guy said they are special order from Japan and will take 2 months! haha, I WIN!

But like I said in another thread, I dont wanna take a chance with messing with the wheel circumference.

So it looks like by measuring at the pump and not via the onboard gauges, the mileage may be close to what Lexus claims. Lexus should fix the gauges if possible.

Here is the part that makes NO sense to me.

Why disengage the battery on a dead stop start when there is sufficient charge left in the battery? If the battery is almost drained, then fine, engage the engine on acceleration. If not, let the battery do most of the work unless I punch it.

To not engage the gas engine on a standing start takes a great deal of patience and is guaranteed to get horns blaring at you from behind. A normal acceleration in city traffic almost always kicks in the gas engine.

It strikes me that Lexus should make a software update available that lets one put the car in performance mode or mileage mode. Since I really have few occasions to use the 0-60 time, I'd rather have it in mileage mode.

I toyed with calling it economy mode (instead of mileage mode), but given the check I just had to write, I thought it a bit innappropriate. B)

Overall a great car! I'm just venting a bit on this mileage/battery thing.

So it looks like by measuring at the pump and not via the onboard gauges, the mileage may be close to what Lexus claims.  Lexus should fix the gauges if possible.

Here is the part that makes NO sense to me.

Why disengage the battery on a dead stop start when there is sufficient charge left in the battery?  If the battery is almost drained, then fine, engage the engine on acceleration.  If not, let the battery do most of the work unless I punch it.

To not engage the gas engine on a standing start takes a great deal of patience and is guaranteed to get horns blaring at you from behind.  A normal acceleration in city traffic almost always kicks in the gas engine.

It strikes me that Lexus should make a software update available that lets one put the car in performance mode or mileage mode.  Since I really have few occasions to use the 0-60 time, I'd rather have it in mileage mode.

I toyed with calling it economy mode (instead of mileage mode), but given the check I just had to write, I thought it a bit innappropriate. B)

Overall a great car!  I'm just venting a bit on this mileage/battery thing.

You mean something like this? http://www.coastaletech.com/electric_only_mode.htm

Maybe I have a dud!

Ok, now it's the 3rd day I've had my 400h, and I noticed that today the gas engine kicking in threshold is higher. In the evening 2 days ago, the threshold seemed to be about 25mph or so. But the temperature outside was cool and the engines were cold. Today, I had it sitting out in the sun for a while, and the threshold seemed to be around 36mph. I could maintain 36mph on a flat road with just the battery driving the wheels :)