Dip Stick

lexdog

Ok I got a really stupid question .. here I go.. I changed the oil on my rx300 checked the dip stick made sure all the oil levels were ok drove the RX around the block and checked the dip stick again. The Dip stick showed normal level the second hole on the dip stick looking at it from bottom to top. After letting it sit for about an hour I checked it again the level showed about a inch higher on the second hole. Is there too much Oil ? :blushing:

Ok I got a really stupid question .. here I go.. I changed the oil on my rx300 checked the dip stick made sure all the oil levels were ok drove the RX around the block and checked the dip stick again. The Dip stick showed normal level the second hole on the dip stick looking at it from bottom to top. After letting it sit for about an hour I checked it again the level showed about a inch higher on the second hole. Is there too much Oil ?  :blushing:

What does your manual say as to how long you should wait before checking? For most vehicles, waiting at least 5 minutes before checking is recommended. Also, did you put in the recommended amount of oil?

Ok I got a really stupid question .. here I go.. I changed the oil on my rx300 checked the dip stick made sure all the oil levels were ok drove the RX around the block and checked the dip stick again. The Dip stick showed normal level the second hole on the dip stick looking at it from bottom to top. After letting it sit for about an hour I checked it again the level showed about a inch higher on the second hole. Is there too much Oil ? :blushing:

What does your manual say as to how long you should wait before checking? For most vehicles, waiting at least 5 minutes before checking is recommended. Also, did you put in the recommended amount of oil?

If I remember correctly the Manual said 4 to 5 quarts. I put in 4 and them added the 5th one while checking the dip stick.

Check the manual again to see what the exact amount is. How long did you let it drain? You should allow at least 10 minutes, even when the oil is hot (preferred). Did the manual mention any time interval before checking the level?

Check the manual again to see what the exact amount is. How long did you let it drain? You should allow at least 10 minutes, even when the oil is hot (preferred). Did the manual mention any time interval before checking the level?

Im sure it drained all the way I used a oil flush kit to clean out the dino oil and added the amsoil synthetic

If the manual tells you to wait any length of time beyond 5 minutes, then I'd say you have overfilled and need to drain 1/2-1 quart. One inch over the "FULL" mark is generally not good for gasket heath.

Oil drains back very fast, if it took 5 min to drain back, your pan would run dry with engine running. It is very close after a very short amout of time but 5 min is more than enough time. Are you sure the stick was all the way in the first time you checked?

Jeff

Ok I got a really stupid question .. here I go.. I changed the oil on my rx300 checked the dip stick made sure all the oil levels were ok drove the RX around the block and checked the dip stick again. The Dip stick showed normal level the second hole on the dip stick looking at it from bottom to top. After letting it sit for about an hour I checked it again the level showed about a inch higher on the second hole. Is there too much Oil ?  :blushing:

Aren't you supposed to change and replace the oil when the engine is VERY HOT? As the engine heats up, the oil will expand and fill a larger volume....As it cools it will go down to a lower level......

so if the level was good when it was cool, when it's warm (5 minutes of driving) it will seem as the level is more..A LOT MORE....

Oil drains back very fast, if it took 5 min to drain back, your pan would run dry with engine running. It is very close after a very short amout of time but 5 min is more than enough time. Are you sure the stick was all the way in the first time you checked?

Jeff

Have changed my oil for 113k miles. It takes exactly five quarts to the full mark after you start the engine and saturate the oil filter. Has been dead on every oil change I have performed. hope this helps.