Starting Issues After Engine Warms

plangp

I have a 93 es330 with about 87k. It will start cold or hot, but if it is warm (an hour or so after it has cooled from normal operating temperatures), the car will not start. It turns over and cranks, but won't fire up. Once the car has cooled completely, it starts again. The car has original plugs and wires and i have cleaned the iacv. What can cause this problem and hows is it fixed?

I have a 93 es330 with about 87k.  It will start cold or hot, but if it is warm (an hour or so after it has cooled from normal operating temperatures), the car will not start.  It turns over and cranks, but won't fire up.  Once the car has cooled completely, it starts again.  The car has original plugs and wires and i have cleaned the iacv.  What can cause this problem and hows is it fixed?

Are there any other symptoms like engine missing, black smoke from tailpipe or smell of gas?

If you hold the gas pedal down while starting does it change anything?

I have tried holding the gas pedal down and cranking for a few seconds. It doesn't fire at all, it just cranks. I smell no gas when I do this either. I haven't tried cranking for more than a few seconds. I will warm the car up and let it cool down and crank with the pedal down.

As far as the IACV, I removed it, wiped it down to remove any deposits (it did not look too bad) and sprayed the shaft and spring with a little WD40 before replacing it. I don't know if the thing needs to be disassembled to clean correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

If you hold the gas pedal down while starting does it change anything?

I have tried holding the gas pedal down and cranking for a few seconds. It doesn't fire at all, it just cranks. I smell no gas when I do this either. I haven't tried cranking for more than a few seconds. I will warm the car up and let it cool down and crank with the pedal down.

As far as the IACV, I removed it, wiped it down to remove any deposits (it did not look too bad) and sprayed the shaft and spring with a little WD40 before replacing it. I don't know if the thing needs to be disassembled to clean correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

The same thing happened to my 93 es300 and the problem was the distributor, So it was replaced and the problem was resolved. Hope this helps. ;)

I jsut ran my experiment and after letting the car heat up, I turned it off and tried starting it every half hour. First three starts were OK, but after two hours, no start. Holding foot to accelerator didn't help.

I took it to my mechanic today and he thinks that it is a temperature sensor sending a signal to the computer preventing the start. He is going to put it on the machine tomorrow and I will let you know how that goes. A second mechanic my wife works with independently suspects a temperature sensor.

Keep ua posted. You mentioned that the car has 'original plugs'.........can you clairify? Do you mean you have replaced the original plugs with the same 'new' plugs & if so, how long ago? :unsure:

:cheers:

Mechanic has given up and I will get all info from him tomorrow before going to Toota dealer to try to fix the problem.

As far as the maintenance, I bought the car used about six months ago as a dealer trade-in. I assume that everything was original.

I would personally bring the car up-to-date. Find out what maint. is required at 90k mile service. Furthermore, highly consider getting a tune-up if it hasn't been done and also a timing belt replacement. During the service, the technician will inspect and examine different engine components and might come across something unusual. Make sure to provide him/her with as much info as possible regarding your start-up issue. In the end, if your car still has problems, I you really dont loss out on this method b/c you invested your $$ into preventive maint. Well worth it especially if you plan on keeping the car.

I'm surprised that a faulty fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator hasn't been mentioned here. I had this issue with an '88 Ford Mustang, the car would not start if the engine was warm or hot, had to cool down before working again. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know the reasons behind why this is, however I'm guessing that Lexus may want to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car to see that the fuel pressure is within specs.

Gave up and took it to the Lexus dealer.$$$ (Toyota dealer says that they do not service Lexus). The service rep suspects a fuel pump or module in the fuel system.

The mechanic at the local shop that spent a week troubleshooting showed me that a little squirt of carb cleaner in the vacuum line was enough to get it started so it may be in the fuel system.

More later.

Just got car back from Lexus........and the culprit was the main EFI relay. That explains why there was no smell fo gas and why carb cleaner started the car. Tech notes say that when no start condition occurred, he checked power to the fuel pump. There was none so he went back to wiring and checked relays to fuel pump. EFI relay was making intermittant contact depending on temperature. I'l see if it starts tonight.

$236 repair.

Of note......90000 mile maintenance at this dealer runs $1500!!! and it does not include water pump replacements or seals. It does include transmission service, spark plug replacement, coolant and oil change and timing belt replacement. and air and AC filters. Also recommended is a $140 fuel injector service.

Thanks for the input folks and happy motoring.

:cheers:

Problem did not recur for dealer. It has been one week and I have not had the problem return......

I am carrying starting fluid because I am just waiting for the problem to return.

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My car has a similar problem. It doesn't start when warm.

I drove the care for 15 minutes. Then left if switched off for 20 minutest and then tried to start it. It started but kept idleing at around 400 rpm. Thats much lower than usual. I stepped on gas a for a few seconds, the engine i guess warmed up or something and it got normal. It has done that twice in the past month.

I will be going to a mechanic in the next week. Anyone has any useful advice for me ? how about estimated cost for getting this problem fixed ?

Thanks

Mr PLANGP,

Any news ? did you figure out what was wrong with your car ? i suspect my car has the same problem.

Thanks

The problem only recurred once since the repair, going on a couple of weeks, so things seem OK for now. It looks like the EFI relay was the problem.

Good luck.