You Tell Me -- Is Dealer Ripping Me Off?

dominogold

In January 2004, I bought my wife a certified 2001 RX300. I immediately noticed the tire tread on it was lower than the rest of the certified cars, but they said it was "within their standards" to be certified. Three days later, I brought it back in for squeaky brakes. They said they replaced the rear pads. Four months later, I bought it back in for squeaky brakes again. They said there wasn't a problem.

Now I just brought my car back in and my dealer is telling me I need 4 new tires, an alignment, front brake pads, and rear brake rotors. It's been just under 19,000 miles and 1 year 3 months since we bought the car (bought at 37K, now has 56K I believe). They said the rotors are coroded, the pads are at 2/10ths and the tires are at 2/10s in a spot due to a misplaced belt.

Does this seem reasonable to you to get stuck with a $1500+ bill just slightly more than a year after buying a CERTIFIED RX300?

I have talked with the service manager and used car manager ad naseum about this. They insist the car was above Lexus standards when sold (I doubt it) and won't do anything for me except maybe take a $100 off. I find this laughable.

You tell me am I being unreasonable here? I think at least they should pick up the cost of all the brake repairs since I brought it back in TWICE for them to look at the brakes shortly after buying the car.

What should I do?

I find it extremely odd that the rear rotors need replacing. The typical rear rotor or drum should last over 100,000 miles of average driving. As far as the tires, I would've bargained down the price of the vehicle, using the shallow thread depth and the prediction of having to purchase tires within a short time period as justification. However, that's water under the bridge. I would ask why the rear rotors need to be replaced and I would also buy replacement tires from Tirerack. You can save a bundle.

Don't you find it odd that I need new rear rotors, new front pads and resurfaced rotors, 4 new tires, and an alignment just one year after purchasing a certified car?

Certified is supposed to be almost like new. This would never happen on a new car.

In January 2004, I bought my wife a certified 2001 RX300.  I immediately noticed the tire tread on it was lower than the rest of the certified cars, but they said it was "within their standards" to be certified.  Three days later, I brought it back in for squeaky brakes.  They said they replaced the rear pads.  Four months later, I bought it back in for squeaky brakes again.  They said there wasn't a problem.

Now I just brought my car back in and my dealer is telling me I need 4 new tires, an alignment, front brake pads, and rear brake rotors.  It's been just under 19,000 miles and 1 year 3 months since we bought the car (bought at 37K, now has 56K I believe).  They said the rotors are coroded, the pads are at 2/10ths and the tires are at 2/10s in a spot due to a misplaced belt.

Does this seem reasonable to you to get stuck with a $1500+ bill just slightly more than a year after buying a CERTIFIED RX300?

I have talked with the service manager and used car manager ad naseum about this.  They insist the car was above Lexus standards when sold (I doubt it) and won't do anything for me except maybe take a $100 off.  I find this laughable.

You tell me am I being unreasonable here?  I think at least they should pick up the cost of all the brake repairs since I brought it back in TWICE for them to look at the brakes shortly after buying the car.

What should I do?

Are you sure the vehicle had 37K miles on it. Did you check with carfacts or someone like that to verify the mileage?

The "Certified" tag is just a positive spin on the word USED and nothing more in reality.

i think so too. but they do give you a nice long warranty (depending on the mileage though). :D

From what I've read about certified used cars is that the Manufacture gives the dealer a list of items to do on the vehicle and the vehicle has to meet certain criteria. But bottom line is it’s up to the dealer whether this happens or not. Lexus can’t go around inspecting every certified vehicle.

I too purchased a certified or CPO and have had no problems (at least not yet). :cheers:

• 1 year later...

In January 2004, I bought my wife a certified 2001 RX300. I immediately noticed the tire tread on it was lower than the rest of the certified cars, but they said it was "within their standards" to be certified. Three days later, I brought it back in for squeaky brakes. They said they replaced the rear pads. Four months later, I bought it back in for squeaky brakes again. They said there wasn't a problem.

Now I just brought my car back in and my dealer is telling me I need 4 new tires, an alignment, front brake pads, and rear brake rotors. It's been just under 19,000 miles and 1 year 3 months since we bought the car (bought at 37K, now has 56K I believe). They said the rotors are coroded, the pads are at 2/10ths and the tires are at 2/10s in a spot due to a misplaced belt.

I have talked with the service manager and used car manager ad naseum about this. They insist the car was above Lexus standards when sold (I doubt it) and won't do anything for me except maybe take a $100 off. I find this laughable.

You tell me am I being unreasonable here? I think at least they should pick up the cost of all the brake repairs since I brought it back in TWICE for them to look at the brakes shortly after buying the car.

What should I do?

What should I do?

You are definitely not unreasonable. Ask them for the 800 number to call for Toyota-Lexus customer service / satisfaction. You can certainly find this yourself or may already have it but asking them tells them what you're doing. Don't be a jerk though. I found with Honda you don't threaten never to buy again you just really give them the facts and really express your disatisfaction. I would be extremety upset too. By the way, I see you're in NJ too. What dealer is this?

It's funny.... in June of 05 i bought a 2003 rx300 with 33,000 miles & demanded for them to put new tires on. They also said the tires were "in the standards" but i didn't want to risk it. They didn't argue with me at the time though.

But i bet if i hadn't had them replaced at the time of purchase, my dealer would have screwed me too! I have already had them replaced again a few months ago. I've already put over 40,000 miles on it :(

Have you thought about going to another Lexus dealer? Tell them about your problem; tell them you are "afraid" of your current dealer and want to take your business (mention oil changes) to anothr lexus dealer... can't hurt, can it?