Aftermarket Navigation Systems

lexdog

Im looking to add a Navigation System to my Rx300. From searching the existing posts, it costs an arm and leg to replace the on screen display (OSD)

Has anybody added an Aftermarket Navigation System to there Lexus?

Were did you mount it and how much did it cost?

Also what about DVD’s? Can a aftermarket Nav system play DVD’s???

How do you manage to get lost in Utah? ;)

I added MS "Streets and Trips" to my PC and Dell Windows Mobile PDA and it provides all the maps and POI's I will likely ever need. Streets and Trips was only $5 at Costco last week. I tap on an address in my PDA's contact list and just choose "Find on map". Or I can do a "find" on an address that I enter or a "find" on a business or other POI name. There is even an on-line update for road construction detours -- just try that on a DVD or hard-drive based Nav system.

I even downloaded maps and POI's for southern Utah on my PDA - we're going to Phoenix, Grand Canyon, etc. beginning Friday. All the maps for Phoenix metro, the Canyon, Flagstaff, etc. take up less than 1/2 of 1% of a 1-gig SD storage card. Took about five minutes to download all this to my PDA.

I thought about getting the Bluetooth GPS kit ($217) for my PDA but I have not needed it yet. It would provide voice prompts, dash/windshield bracket, GPS/PDA battery charger, and continually align the map per my current location.

I have the bluetooth gps unit from HP to use with my ipaq 5550. It is amazing and cost about 200 to add to the ipaq.

My ipaq is used for work and is more costly than needed for most uses.

It uses navtec mapping which i love since it is the same as the OEM nav maps. I have a mount to fit over my cell phone cradle when i don;t need to see it and the whole package works perfectly .

I dont get lost here in utah at least in the SLC metro area but I thought it would be cool for road trips and vacations. Plus I hear if your car gets stolen they can track it by the GPS. Also I've been itching to replace the stero system. The stock one is ok but I like alot more sound than the stock can handle I though I get a Head unit that has GPS, DVD, MP3 all included in one unit but were the heck do you mount it ???? Cant remove the stock stero ....