29. NV006-03 AUG 03 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattles From Center

30. AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather

31. TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/04740817.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wwest, For decades, every car maker has generally had just one engine oil and transmission oil maintenance schedule for all its engines and automatic transmissions even though the oil deteriorates at different rates in different engines and transmissions and in different models using those engines and transmissions.

Owners who want to play it safe should change the motor oil every 3 months / 3,750 miles and the transmission fluid (drain & refill the pan) every 15,000 miles. Takes 30 minutes and some pocket change for the oils.

Owners who don't want to play it safe can hours of time writing to the car companies pestering them to explain why the oils deteriorate at different rates in different engines and transmissions and why they don't have a 15K change interval for one transmission and a 60K interval for another. This is just a waste of time because for obvious legal liability reasons no car company is going to publicly admit the oils deteriorate at different rates in different engines and transmissions.

The chronic complainer type owners are shooting themselves in the foot in multiple ways:

1. Their letter writing efforts to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Dept are a waste of time

because they will just get form letter type responses.

2. Their failure to change the lubes frequently means they won't ever be members of the Toyota 400,000 mile club.

3. Their consumer activist activities such as telling reporters the drive by wire system is a safety hazard lowers the resale value of their cars.

4. Their next car will likely be a non-Asian car such as a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a much worse

reputation for reliability and durability.

first off, if someone has issue with a luxury automobile, they have every right and should voice their concerns - more power to them. Secondly, besides a ticking engine (which Lexus said is normal for the RX) and faulty power antenna my RX has been pretty good. That said, I also had a Chevy Suburban that I sold with over 215k on the clock and it also never had so much as an engine tick or needed more than normal maintenance, so you can't judge quality soley by the name - I think today most makes (perhaps european brands slightly less so) have close to the same long term reliability.

"driving" through a turn.....

Then buy a RWD vehicle or an AWD with a system simulier to the non-V8 Volvo XC90 that biases the torque to the rear as you enter a turn and until you reach the apex, and then moves the torque primarily to the front as you begin to exit the turn.

Or any full-time AWD/4WD that is primarily rear torque biased, such as the current 4runner model.

The latest word from Lexus, or as quoted by the service manager at Lexus of Bellevue, is that the ATF in the RX300 series should be good for the life of the vehicle. He said that Lexus corporate had advised them to inspect the fluid each 30,000 miles but did not recommend as flush and refill unless the ATF appeared dark or smelled burnt.

That was just last week.

Next vehicle purchase.

I was looking quite seriously at the BMW X3, but must admit that I am quite intriged by the new Honda Ridgeline. The only thing it seems to be missing is HID.

The latest word from Lexus, or as quoted by the service manager at Lexus of Bellevue, is that the ATF in the RX300 series should be good for the life of the vehicle. He said that Lexus corporate had advised them to inspect the fluid each 30,000 miles but did not recommend as flush and refill unless the ATF appeared dark or smelled burnt.

That was just last week.

Next vehicle purchase.

I was looking quite seriously at the BMW X3, but must admit that I am quite intriged by the new Honda Ridgeline. The only thing it seems to be missing is HID.

I wouldn't suggest the bmw x3. I test drove one last summer and it was one of the most bumpiest rides EVER!! it felt like i was riding in a tin can or something.... It's unbelievebly small on the inside, and even smaller on the outside. It isn't comfortable, and is just plain bad in my opinion. I have a 745Li which is excellent, but the x3 has problems.

honda, i can't say anything bad about; they are excellent cars! But, these are just my opinions, and suggestions to you; do as you please ;)