Tire Rotation On Awd

TAGGAR

I have NEVER (first car purchased in 62) rotated tires and have no plans to begin. My 2001 AWD RX300 has over 40k miles and the michelin cross terrains have lots of tread left and equal all around.

I have NEVER (first car purchased in 62) rotated tires and have no plans to begin. My 2001 AWD RX300 has over 40k miles and the michelin cross terrains have lots of tread left and equal all around.

wwest, I agree on AWD or 4WD vehicles tire rotation may not be essential, but what's the reason for not rotating on 2wd cars, how long do tires on your non-AWD vehicles last ?

Yep, my experience in owning over 20 vehicles during 35 years of driving is that it is always a good idea to keep your tires rotated. With today's better tire technology, a rotation schedule of 5,000 to 7,500 miles works for most average drivers. If you accelerate and brake heavily, a more frequent rotation schedule will keep your tire wear spread more evenly among all four corners but it will NOT lengthen your tread life. Only driving smarter and checking your tire pressures weekly can help you do that.

It's also good to rotate the tires from front to rear because of turning wear. The front tires will get worn down more on the sides than the rear tires will. After a while it could get dangerous...I have my dealer rotate them every once and a while...They say it's not necessary but insist it.

Sorry, don't really keep track of mileage vs tread wear, never have had a tire that needed replacing, other than road hazards, under ~40k miles. When my front tires need replacing I move the rear ones to the front and put new ones on the rear. Always best to have the most, better, traction at the rear.

Exception being the 911's.

As a traveling salesman who has spent alot of years driving 50-55,000 miles a year I have learned the key to 60,000+ miles of tread life, regardless if the vehicle is front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive is 5,000 mile rotations just like cruznroadking says. Frequent rotations are also important to prevent tire noise problems from developing.

Rotation intervals of 7,500 - 12,500 miles are too long and almost guaranteed to cause problems with tire noise (for owners who are sensitive to tire noise)

As a traveling salesman who has spent alot of years driving 50-55,000 miles a year I have learned the key to 60,000+ miles of tread life, regardless if the vehicle is front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, all wheel drive is 5,000 mile rotations just like cruznroadking says.  Frequent rotations are also important to prevent tire noise problems from developing. 

Rotation intervals of 7,500 - 12,500 miles are too long and almost guaranteed to cause problems with tire noise (for owners who are sensitive to tire noise)

I'm with monarch on this too. B)

:cheers:

I rotated my Bridgestones every 5k and they died at 18k. Dunlop SP4000 and 5000, every 5k and 20-25k.

Keep us posted on your Toyo's! B) After about 14,000 miles with proper rotations, there is hardly much sign of wear. B)

:cheers: