2005 Rx 330 Impressions @ 1000 Mi

scoobie

Well, after 1000 miles and about 5 weeks, here are my personal impressions of the RX 330, this is my first Lexus (first 'luxury' car, for that matter).

I'm just going to ramble on as thoughts come to mind, first, the things I especially like:

The engine is smooth as silk, I've never seen or heard an engine so quiet, I can't tell if it is running when idling.

Pretty good gas mileage, I've filled up 3 times thus far, first tank I got about 18 mpg, 2nd tank about 20 mpg, and 3rd tank is looking to be even better.

Interior is very comfortable, I don't know how it compares with other luxury brands but the RX 330 is one comfy ride, lots of leather (or leather-like material) surrounds the driver and passengers, I know some cars have leather only on the 'seating surfaces'.

Finally, the retracting steering wheel when exiting the car is a really nice feature.

----------------

Now, a few things I don't like:

First, as some others have noted here, the acceleration is dismal, especially from a dead stop; the advertised torque is 242 ft-lb @ around 3400 rpm, but the profile (torque as function of rpm) must be very peaky, 'cause from a dead stop, it feels like I'm driving a ship (I may have been spoiled by my previous vehicle, a Jeep Cherokee w/ 4.0L engine, which has great low-end torque).

I find this car a bit difficult to back up because the view is somewhat obstructed, but the tilting outside mirrors help.

The power rear door/hatch is too slow to get to open, I have to push the unlock button (on the key fob) twice, then push and hold the power door button in order to open the rear hatch, this process takes so long that a lot of times I find myself already standing next to the car before I've finished pushing the buttons, why can't they program the power door button to unlock the door as well (so you push once vs 3 times).

The 'Homelinks' garage door opener doesn't seem compatible with the model I have (Genie screw drive), I don't know exactly what the problem is, I followed the directions (to the letter) on how to program the opener but still doesn't work.

Lastly, I don't find the (driver) arm rest very useful, it is too small to serve any purpose and not particularly comfortable, it actually gets in the way when making a turn, I'd prefer to have the center console taller, which then could function as an arm rest as well.

So, there you have it, overall grade I give the RX330 an 85/100. I bought a Lexus mainly for its reputation for reliability and resale value, as long as those characteristics hold up I'm content. Thanks for reading.

I have an RX also & I had the dealer program the door locks do that they all open on the first click. They don't charge if you have this done in the first 12 months.

Also for Homelink try calling this # 800-355-3515. They can tell you if your opener is compatiable or not & help you with programming it. Hope this helps.

scoobie....

Shortly before Cadillac threw in the towel and abandoned FWD altogether they started limiting the level of engine torque that the engine would produce at inital startup from a full stop. That V8 Northstar engine, if not artificially dethrottled, just produced too much torque for safe operation of a FWD vehicle.

Too many wipe-outs of their older generation (slow reaction times) due to total loss of directional control from acceleration wheelspin. Earlier FWD models had a reactive system wherein the brakes were applied to reduce wheelspin and then automatic dethrottling of the engine if the driver didn't soon react and lift, feather, the throttle.

It sounds to me from your description that Toyota and Lexus may have come to the same conclusion and thus the same solution. Even if you have the AWD model the engine torque is allocated ~90/10 F/R during acceleration. Unexpected front drive wheelspin can be very hazardous in the wrong circumstances.

The power rear door/hatch is too slow to get to open, I have to push the unlock button (on the key fob) twice, then push and hold the power door button in order to open the rear hatch, this process takes so long that a lot of times I find myself already standing next to the car before I've finished pushing the buttons, why can't they program the power door button to unlock the door as well (so you push once vs 3 times).

You can have the dealer reprogram your remote to open the rear door with one touch (I suppose assuming the doors are unlocked, which can also be reprogrammed to work with one touch). We haven't done this yet, but it's on the list of things to do soon.

First, as some others have noted here, the acceleration is dismal, especially from a dead stop; the advertised torque is 242 ft-lb @ around 3400 rpm, but the profile (torque as function of rpm) must be very peaky, 'cause from a dead stop, it feels like I'm driving a ship (I may have been spoiled by my previous vehicle, a Jeep Cherokee w/ 4.0L engine, which has great low-end torque).

In a drag race, however, the RX330 would immediately pull ahead of the Jeep 4.0L and leave it far behind in the dust. Ditto when pulling out to pass another vehicle at speed.

Small cylinder width, short piston stroke Toyota / Honda double overhead cam valvetrain engine like the RX330 engine love to spin fast and don't really come "alive" until you get up around 3,000 RPM and beyond. This has been a characteristic of most Asian car engines for the past 30+ years.

In a drag race, however, the RX330 would immediately pull ahead of the Jeep 4.0L and leave it far behind in the dust. Ditto when pulling out to pass another vehicle at speed.

Small cylinder width, short piston stroke Toyota / Honda double overhead cam valvetrain engine like the RX330 engine love to spin fast and don't really come "alive" until you get up around 3,000 RPM and beyond. This has been a characteristic of most Asian car engines for the past 30+ years.

Hah! Just imagine how the Rx400h's 650 lbs-ft of torque will feel. The Jeep will think a Ferarri F40 just blasted by it!!

Likes after 6,000 miles:

-- The ride ... not plush, yet not overly firm with the 18" rims.

-- Having my 18" rims chromed ... SO glad I did that.

-- Just the overall look, partial wagon/car/SUV look that still is slightly aggressive.

-- The roominess and comfort of the back seat especially. To me this is where Lexus really excels over the competition.

-- Gas mileage. Again, better than the competition.

Dislikes:

-- Transmission jerkiness/non-responsiveness in certain situations. Not a deal breaker though.

-- Paint seems to chip easily. Should've gotten the clear bra.

-- Cargo space ... not bad, but I'd like to be able to take 4 and golf bags easier.

-- Front armrests ... just seem a little on the fragile/uncomfortable side.

-- Stereo ... back seat sound is not good AT ALL.

Wishes:

-- Wish I WOULD'VE gotten the Navigation ... decided not to, now after messing around with one it would've been a fun toy and come in handy a few times.

-- Wish I would've ordered and gotten the Mark Levinson as well (don't want the RSES) due to the lack of overall sound in the stereo. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good ... just wish I'd have paid the extra for the ML.

Hah! Just imagine how the Rx400h's 650 lbs-ft of torque will feel. The Jeep will think a Ferarri F40 just blasted by it!!

RX400h, where did you find specs on the 400h, 650 ft-lbs sounds awfully high, if that number is accurate it would almost put the 400h into supercar status. Also, if wwest is right, you wouldn't be able to use all that available torque because Lexus doesn't think 'average' drivers can handle it.

...from a recent issue of Car & Driver.....

"At the rear wheels we find the rear electric motor (MGR), which is hooked directly by gear drive to the rear differential. This one is air- and oil-cooled, since it only functions intermittently (the other MGs are water- and oil-cooled), and it adds another 67 horsepower to the mix. Hermance says this motor cranks over 650 pound-feet of drive-axle torque to the vehicle’s overall tractive effort when it’s energized.

We believe him. Nail the RX400h’s throttle from rest, and you might hear front or rear tires chirping, depending on available grip. The V-6 growls with the usual determination when you’re hard on the gas, but the continuously variable transmission pegs its rotational speed somewhere near the torque peak and maximum volumetric efficiency, producing sound effects that are the opposite of a slipping clutch. Instead of a rising engine note as vehicle speed remains constant, the vehicle speed rises as the engine speed remains constant."

All-wheel drive is a common solution when torque gets above managable levels in front wheel-drive vehicles. However, this may mean that the 2 wheel-drive Highlanders may be a bit squirrely upon takeoff!

• 3 years later...