Hows This For A Tire?

ArmyofOne

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

What do you think? i need new tires now, the Dunlop SP2 sports on the rear are wearing, and the Yopkhama Avids in the front are just sub-par...wearing on the inside horribly from the bad rack and pinion i had, now that that is corrected, i want to buy new tires.

The Potenza G009 is Bridgestone's High Performance All-Season tire that was developed to meet the needs of sports car, coupe and sedan drivers who want to be associated with the performance heritage of the Bridgestone brand in racing. The Potenza G009 combines Bridgestone's advanced UNI-T Technology with affordable pricing.

Bridgestone's UNI-T Technology focuses on three primary tire components, the beads, casing and tread, which influence overall performance by enhancing comfort, handling and traction. On the outside, the Potenza G009 molds a Long Link Carbon Black tread compound into a directional tread design that features stable tread blocks for sporty handling, flowing grooves that channel water towards the sides of the tire to resist hydroplaning, and independent, siped shoulder blocks to provide the snow biting edges needed for winter traction. A continuous, arrow-shaped center rib helps reduce noise while providing constant road contact to increase straight-line stability. Internally, the Potenza G009 features a Computer Optimized Component System which blends twin, high-tensile steel belts with spiral-wrapped jointless belt edge strips to stabilize the tread area to enhance handling, high-speed capability and ride quality while minimizing weight.

Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires feature black sidewall styling with black letters reversed out of a circumferential serrated band. They are H-speed rated and available in 65-, 60-, 55-, 50-, 45- and 40-series sizes for 14" to 17" wheel diameters.

I dont need anything extremely special, but i would like low road noise, good comfort, and excellent traction on sdry roads. the wet traction i am not so much concerned with...what i mean is, i am willing to take a hit on the wet traction for excellent comfort. though it looks liek this tire will do it all around.

assuming it costs $20 to mount and balance a tire, I can have a set of these, installed and ready to go for $343.40 plus tax. not bad...

and i dont have to pay the tire place to put them on the car, i will do that myself, haul the old tires and rims with the new tires down there in the F150. thoughts?

What's the exact tire size you need Army? I'd stay away from Bridgestone (and Firestone) whenever possible. There are much better, less expensive & longer lasting tires out there to choose from. I'll be able to narrow your choices down with the tire size you need......let me know B) ;)

:cheers:

What's the exact tire size you need Army?  I'd stay away from Bridgestone (and Firestone) whenever possible.  There are much better, less expensive & longer lasting tires out there to choose from.  I'll be able to narrow your choices down with the tire size you need......let me know  B)    ;)

195/60-15 is the OEM size, but i think i want to go lower profile...

why do you suggest staying away from brigdestone? im on a budget, so no more than $75 or $80 per tire if possible...

What's the exact tire size you need Army?  I'd stay away from Bridgestone (and Firestone) whenever possible.  There are much better, less expensive & longer lasting tires out there to choose from.   I'll be able to narrow your choices down with the tire size you need......let me know   B)    ;)

why do you suggest staying away from brigdestone? im on a budget, so no more than $75 or $80 per tire if possible...

I suggest staying away from Bridgestone (including the specific one you mention here) simply because there are many other & frankly better choices for around the same money. If your looking for good overall comfort, I would also suggest staying with the same tire size & not going to a lower profile tire (the lower profile you go, the more harsh & firm the ride). If you want everything you mentioned at the start of this thread, I would recommend 2 tires in your price range, but shop around for other prices (not just tirerack as an example as they do not carry the Falken's).

- Falken Ziex ZE-512. A fantastic high performance all season with a 60,000 mile warranty. Awesome wet weather performer thats very quiet. Excellent handling. Do a search on here & on CL as I have suggested them to many other members (I put these on my wife's car as well) & they have been thrilled with the performance. H speed rated to boot (good for speeds up to 130 MPH!) Treadwear 420, traction A & Temperature A. Your best overall value & you won't be disappointed with this tire. B)

www.falkentire.com (select 'falken tires' & then 'all season performance')

- Goodyear Triple Tread. www.goodyearassurance.com This is a premium all season tire that is also H speed rated in your size. There strong point is long mileage (80,000 mile treadwear) & excellent poor weather handling. Treadwear 740, Traction A, Temperature B. They might be slightly more expensive then the Falken's, but both choices are far & away better then any Bridgestone tire that comes in your size & the very best you can get for your ES 250. Let me know if you have any more questions......I'm happy to help! B) Good Luck & keep us posted on what you decide to do in the end. Don't forget to do a 4 wheel alignment when you get the tires installed. ;)

What's the exact tire size you need Army?  I'd stay away from Bridgestone (and Firestone) whenever possible.  There are much better, less expensive & longer lasting tires out there to choose from.   I'll be able to narrow your choices down with the tire size you need......let me know   B)    ;)

I suggest staying away from Bridgestone (including the specific one you mention here) simply because there are many other & frankly better choices for around the same money. If your looking for good overall comfort, I would also suggest staying with the same tire size & not going to a lower profile tire (the lower profile you go, the more harsh & firm the ride). If you want everything you mentioned at the start of this thread, I would recommend 2 tires in your price range, but shop around for other prices (not just tirerack as an example as they do not carry the Falken's).

- Falken Ziex ZE-512. A fantastic high performance all season with a 60,000 mile warranty. Awesome wet weather performer thats very quiet. Excellent handling. Do a search on here & on CL as I have suggested them to many other members (I put these on my wife's car as well) & they have been thrilled with the performance. H speed rated to boot (good for speeds up to 130 MPH!) Treadwear 420, traction A & Temperature A. Your best overall value & you won't be disappointed with this tire. B)

(select 'falken tires' & then 'all season performance')

- Goodyear Triple Tread. www.goodyearassurance.com This is a premium all season tire that is also H speed rated in your size. There strong point is long mileage (80,000 mile treadwear) & excellent poor weather handling. Treadwear 740, Traction A, Temperature B. They might be slightly more expensive then the Falken's, but both choices are far & away better then any Bridgestone tire that comes in your size & the very best you can get for your ES 250. Let me know if you have any more questions......I'm happy to help! B) Good Luck & keep us posted on what you decide to do in the end. Don't forget to do a 4 wheel alignment when you get the tires installed. ;)

just had an align done at JP Importz.

the tread pattern has to be good looking aswell.

and i need ot reprhase, ride is not as important as road noise...i like the look of lo-pro, so i am willing to sacrifice some ride comfort...

How do you like Dunlop SP2 Sports?

i like the falkens...how much do they run?

oh and a 380+treadwear rating is more than adequate for me, no need ot go any higher than that...especially if i have to pay for it.

the goodyears are wayyy more thna i have: $130 each for my size...

and i need ot reprhase, ride is not as important as road noise...i like the look of lo-pro, so i am willing to sacrifice some ride comfort...

oh and a 380+treadwear rating is more than adequate for me, no need ot go any higher than that...especially if i have to pay for it.

As I mentioned, shop around for price......the $130 is MSRP! ;) Call around for the Falken's price. They should be in the $60's or $70's price range I would imagine. Tread is very aggressive on the Falken's. Talk with silvermate who has put the Falken's on his LS & see how he like em & do a search for others who have them. B)

The Falken's came in first overall in a consumer report test of 20 high performance all seasons last year. If you want to go to a lower profile....check tireracks's site for the correct size......chances are the Falken's will come in that size as well & they should be less then the Bridgestones! B)

As I mentioned, shop around for price......the $130 is MSRP! ;) Call around for the Falken's price. They should be in the $60's or $70's price range I would imagine. Tread is very aggressive on the Falken's. Talk with silvermate who has put the Falken's on his LS & see how he like em & do a search for others who have them. B)

The Falken's came in first overall in a consumer report test of 20 high performance all seasons last year. If you want to go to a lower profile....check tireracks's site for the correct size......chances are the Falken's will come in that size as well & they should be less then the Bridgestones! B)

good! thats what i wanted to hear. i have always like the Zeix, but i never really considered them a good tire for daily use...i always thought of them as a race tire.

thanks alot, ill keep you posted.

I'd stay away from Bridgestone simply because of their business practices. They concealed the safety issues on the Radial ATX on the Explorer for years even knowing that these tires were killing people.

I think probably the Falkens are a good bet, the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is OEM on Lexus and is a good quiet tire.

My next set of tires will be Dunlop SP SPort 5000s or Michelin MXV4 S8s. My Toyos seem to be wearing well though. I like them again now that winter is coming to an end.

I'd stay away from Bridgestone simply because of their business practices. They concealed the safety issues on the Radial ATX on the Explorer for years even knowing that these tires were killing people.

I think probably the Falkens are a good bet, the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 is OEM on Lexus and is a good quiet tire.

My next set of tires will be Dunlop SP SPort 5000s or Michelin MXV4 S8s. My Toyos seem to be wearing well though. I like them again now that winter is coming to an end.

my complaint with the yuckohama avid tourings i have on the front currently is that they have ZERO wet traction...and they are just plain old ugly tires. the dunlop SP's in the rear are much nicer looking...i would put them up front, but they are bald...

Check out Fuzions. They are within your price range and have great traction and run much more quietly than most. I put a set on my IS a couple months ago and I am very pleased with them in all aspects.

http://thefuzionzone.com/

Also, you aren't going to save any money by taking your wheels to the tire store. Taking off and putting on the car is part of the deal.

Check out Fuzions.  They are within your price range and have great traction and run much more quietly than most.  I put a set on my IS a couple months ago and I am very pleased with them in all aspects.

Also, you aren't going to save any money by taking your wheels to the tire store.  Taking off and putting on the car is part of the deal.

The Fuzions are owned by Bridgestone.......and although I have nopt heard that many bad things about this line of tire, they are still made by the same company.

Army, the Dunlop's are decent as well, but I'd put the Falken's on the very top of that list personally. ;) B)

SW, I had a feeling you were going to say something like that lol. :lol::ph34r:

Check out Fuzions.  They are within your price range and have great traction and run much more quietly than most.  I put a set on my IS a couple months ago and I am very pleased with them in all aspects.

Also, you aren't going to save any money by taking your wheels to the tire store.  Taking off and putting on the car is part of the deal.

The Fuzions are owned by Bridgestone.......and although I have nopt heard that many bad things about this line of tire, they are still made by the same company.

Army, the Dunlop's are decent as well, but I'd put the Falken's on the very top of that list personally. ;) B)

Feedback on Fuzions has been great. As a retired tire reinforcement engineer (for another tire company), I checked them out pretty thoroughly. I bought them even though Bridgestone did merge with Firstone. But hey, what do I know?

Feedback on Fuzions has been great. As a retired tire reinforcement engineer (for another tire company), I checked them out pretty thoroughly. I bought them even though Bridgestone did merge with Firstone. But hey, what do I know?

after riding in my friends 91 ES on the same wheels as mine, but with a "50" sidewall, i have decided i want to go with a lower profile, the difference in ride wasnt enough to warrant skipping thwe good looks.

can i get the falkens in a 45 or 50 sidewall in 195 width and 15 inch hight?

the Fuzions i did look at, but none are in my price range here, they want over $150 per tire for the Fuzion XR (i think is what it is) here at Discount Tire.

after riding in my friends 91 ES on the same wheels as mine, but with a "50" sidewall, i have decided i want to go with a lower profile, the difference in ride wasnt enough to warrant skipping thwe good looks.

can i get the falkens in a 45 or 50 sidewall in 195 width and 15 inch hight?

the Fuzions i did look at, but none are in my price range here, they want over $150 per tire for the Fuzion XR (i think is what it is) here at Discount Tire.

Darn. Prices really high there. I paid $80 each plus mount and balznce for 215/45/17's.

yeah i dont knwo why that is...its really weird.

is it possible to get a 195/45(or 50/55)/15?

if not will a 205/55/15 fit on my wheel?

these:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...id=006158&ar=55

look great! what is a v rated tire?

and it looks liek thats what i will buy, i can get the set for $260...

these:

look great!  what is a v rated tire?

Those are them! A 'V' rated tire is the 'speed rating'.......they are rated for a 'Maximum' speed of 149 MPH. Here is a link that explains everythind in more detail:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

I did not see anything on the tire rack site that suggests an alternative size 15" tire. Make some calls to see what can be done about a lower profile in your price range. The only sizes available (lower profile) other than your original size in the Falken 512's are:

195/55R15 85V 28-332-561 6.0 5.5 - 7.0 23.5 7.7 6.9 10/32 51 1135

205/55R15 88V 28-332-562 6.5 5.5 - 7.5 23.9 8.1 7.2 10/32 51 1235

195/50R15 82H 28-331-571 6.0 5.5 - 7.0 22.6 7.7 6.9 10/32 51 1047

205/50R15 86H 28-331-572 6.5 5.5 - 7.5 23.2 8.1 6.9 10/32 51 1168

225/50R15 91V 28-332-574 7.0 6.0 - 8.0 24.0 8.9 7.7 10/32 51 1356

You will notice 3 are 'V' speed rated & 2 are 'H' sped rated (H speed is good for speeds up to 130 MPH or one notch below the 'V' speed rating). Keep us posted, but the Falken is by far your best bet. B)

these:

look great!  what is a v rated tire?

Those are them! A 'V' rated tire is the 'speed rating'.......they are rated for a 'Maximum' speed of 149 MPH. Here is a link that explains everythind in more detail:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

I did not see anything on the tire rack site that suggests an alternative size 15" tire. Make some calls to see what can be done about a lower profile in your price range. The only sizes available (lower profile) other than your original size in the Falken 512's are:

195/55R15 85V 28-332-561 6.0 5.5 - 7.0 23.5 7.7 6.9 10/32 51 1135

205/55R15 88V 28-332-562 6.5 5.5 - 7.5 23.9 8.1 7.2 10/32 51 1235

195/50R15 82H 28-331-571 6.0 5.5 - 7.0 22.6 7.7 6.9 10/32 51 1047

205/50R15 86H 28-331-572 6.5 5.5 - 7.5 23.2 8.1 6.9 10/32 51 1168

225/50R15 91V 28-332-574 7.0 6.0 - 8.0 24.0 8.9 7.7 10/32 51 1356

You will notice 3 are 'V' speed rated & 2 are 'H' sped rated (H speed is good for speeds up to 130 MPH or one notch below the 'V' speed rating). Keep us posted, but the Falken is by far your best bet. B)

well, one questin i have is can i put a "205" tire on a rim that came factory with "195" on them??

V - 149 MPH

The tire should fit your rim, but not sure about fender clearance.

no worries about that, the fender well on my 250 is PLENTY wide...i couldnt beieve how wide it was...

and if it will rub, then it wont fit on my rim...

thanks for the input guys, ill keep you posted :)

You should be OK Army.....it's only 10mm were talking about. Let us know what you decide & you will be very pleasantly suprised of the performance & ride with the Falken's whatever size you choose. Just remember, the '60 series & higher' (205 60 15, 205 65 15 etc) are good for 60,000 miles according to the Falken website........the '55 series & lower' are good for only 30,000 miles. Not sure if that's important to you or not, but I thought I should mention it anyways. B)

V - 149 MPH

The tire should fit your rim, but not sure about fender clearance.

no worries about that, the fender well on my 250 is PLENTY wide...i couldnt beieve how wide it was...

and if it will rub, then it wont fit on my rim...

thanks for the input guys, ill keep you posted :)

That's a hella good price, even after including shipping costs. I don't see how you could go wrong on that purchase.