Right Turning Light Falshing Quickly...

It's probably a burned out bulb. Check out the left turning signal lights to see how many bulbs are flashing then try the same thing with the right turning signal to see if the same amount of bulbs flash. ;)

Alan

The front right light is a bit dimmer than the left one but looks like bulb is normal thou. The right rear one is normal but falshing quickly as well. If it's the bulb problem then why the ticking sound on the panel is also twice quickly than the left turn?

Thanks,

John

A defective bulb will cause the exact problem you're having. Buy a new bulb of the correct type and exchange the right side bulbs one at a time and see if that corrects it. Electrically, the speed of the flashing is dependent upon the resistance in the circuit so the lower resistance on your right flasher causes it to flash faster. Naturally the indicator on the dash will click faster on the defective side.

Alan

improperly seated bulbs or connections that have corrosion built up will act as if they are burnt out too. Before you replace the bulb that is not flashing, file/score the contacts on the bulb and the connector, then reseat the bulb and try it again.

Don't forget the little bulbs in the side lights too.

steviej

(always look at your fuses too)

thats funny my left turn signal is blinking very fast.i just put brand new bulbs in it when i cleared the lights so look like i have to do the same thing to figure out what bulbs doing it.

• 1 month later...

There's so much action on this Board that I keep forgetting to provide updates on issues I've raised.

Replace a bulb in front and one in rear and everything worked out.

BTW, I've got the Lexus Gold warranty for another 2+ years. Since i didn't go to a Lexus dealer for the bulbs, I wonder if that would have been covered by the warranty?

I was getting oil and filter changed and didn't want to pay the robber barons for that.

Anybody up on whether bulbs are a wear and tear item or one that's covered?

Thanks.

hey john, i just replaced the bulbs on my 98 myself just a few days ago :lol: here's the link for the instructions on how to change the bulbs http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/show....t/ST/f/7/t/3380

a pair of amber turn signal bulbs type 1157na go for $5 at most local automotive shops. the clear bulbs go for 2.49 if u feel those will suffice. id go with a trusted brand name like philips or slyvannia, autozone carries wagner and i was reluctant to go with that brand. <_<

bartkat:

That's correct, except I believe it's higher resistance. Cleaning bulb bases will reduce resistance.

When I said, "Electrically, the speed of the flashing is dependent upon the resistance in the circuit so the lower resistance on your right flasher causes it to flash faster." I wasn't talking about the resistance that can build up between the socket and base of the bulb. When this resistance is high the flasher circuit will have lower resistance, hence a rapidly flashing turn signal. ;)