Want To Buy: 1st Gen Gs300

hey,guys.

i have been thinking about purchasing a 1st Gen GS300 for a while now.

i have never owned a toyota or a lexus, so i don't know much about them.

but i do know that toyota/lexus are some of the best built cars in the world.

i drive a infiniti G20 now and i owned a Audi A4 before.

both are good cars, but it's time for me to move on to a better car now.

my budget is around $6000~7000 range.

can i get a solid car at this price with a reasonable mileage?

and what about the parts? are they more expensive compared to toyota parts?

thanx guys, any reply would be appreciated.

oh, by the way, i live in SoCal.

Good choice, sounds like you already did your research.

For the price you're willing to spend it will take awhile alot of looking to find something I would consider a "solid car", however, your expectations may not be the same as mine. At that price it's going to have some mileage and alot may or may not need to be done, depending on what the previous owner had done. Yes, parts are more expensive if not the same. However, there are some pretty cheap places, compared to the dealer, to get genuine parts on the net Keep us in the loop if you find something and we'll help you out and let you know if it's a good deal. <_<

hey,guys.

what years do you think you want? Lexus came out with the first gs300 in 1993. This model was not changed until 98 when the 2nd generations came out.

The kelly blue book values of a:

1993 gs300 is about $6,175. (first year)

1994 gs300 is about $6,800.

1995 gs300 is about $7,500.

1996 gs300 is about $8,200.

1997 gs300 is about $9,150. (last year)

1998 gs300 is about $11,500 (first year of 2nd generation)

Very expensive for the age but they are excellent cars. but being the first generation of any car, there are problems that you will have to go through buying a 10+ old car, i dont care what it is. If i were you i would get a 98 or 99 ish toyota camry; it's pretty much the same size as the gs but will be newer. It will be the same price about and will be much less of a headache. I hav an 03 lexus rx300 and it has many problems. buying used cars other than for the looks is not a good idea. If you're getting it for the looks get it deffinetly. but if you just want a toyota/lexus in the 6-7k range that will be reliable, go for a newer toyota. Also keep in mind, the older the car the more miles on it. I would be surprised if you could find a 95 gs under 150 k miles. Lexus's are a toyota with an L on it pretty much, with only a few luxury features. and the parts on Lexus is more pricy then toyota for reasons unknown to anyone....I have only had a 2003 gs430, but it's assumed the 1st generation are just as good.

good luck in your decision...but in my opionion, with that price range, stay away from an older lexus and go with a newer toyota or honda.

Very expensive for the age but they are excellent cars. but being the first generation of any car, there are problems that you will have to go through buying a 10+ old car, i dont care what it is. If i were you i would get a 98 or 99 ish toyota camry; it's pretty much the same size as the gs but will be newer. It will be the same price about and will be much less of a headache. I hav an 03 lexus rx300 and it has many problems. buying used cars other than for the looks is not a good idea. If you're getting it for the looks get it deffinetly. but if you just want a toyota/lexus in the 6-7k range that will be reliable, go for a newer toyota. Also keep in mind, the older the car the more miles on it. I would be surprised if you could find a 95 gs under 150 k miles. Lexus's are a toyota with an L on it pretty much, with only a few luxury features. and the parts on Lexus is more pricy then toyota for reasons unknown to anyone....I have only had a 2003 gs430, but it's assumed the 1st generation are just as good.

good luck in your decision...but in my opionion, with that price range, stay away from an older lexus and go with a newer toyota or honda.

This is not really a reasonable response. :wacko: 93 is the first year - just because 93-97 is the first series of the vehicle does not mean that all of them will have problems. The changes to the 2nd generation were signifigant enough that you could apply the same logic. Would that mean that a 2005 would be unreliable? ;) Furthermore, unless you want a Supra, you will not find that engine or the RWD layout in any Toyota car. I have a 94 with 135k on it and the only major probkems I have had are a broken window regulator and a stripped starter. And whats this about "buying a used car other than for looks is not a good idea"? That just plain does not make sense. I would buy mine based on a combination of condition, performance, value and, yes, looks.

You can't go worng with a 1st generation GS - just make sure that you wait for the right one and mare sure that maintainance was done throughout its life.

I have '95 GS300 with 84K original miles on it and it runs great. The only out of the ordinary problem I had was a bad A/C compressor. All other service has been routine maintenance. I recently had the timing belt/tensioner/water pump/seals service done, but I can't complain one bit about how this car has performed over the 5 years I have owned it. In that time, I've spent less than $3000 in service for everything. I can easily say that this car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned (Thunderbird, Taurus, Accord, for starters). I would definitely give you the green light to purchase a 1st gen GS. But, as stated, do your due dilligence. You should be able to find a nice '93-'97 in that price range, just make sure it has been taken care of.

I had have a 96 GS mkI, it is a wonderful car in terms of handling, reliability, craftmanship. It has a very very smooth A/T even better than MKII. The rattle noise is lesser than MKII as well, becase i am having a MKII now. If you can find a good MKI, it will be a good choice.

Personally, i like MKI more than MKII, the MKI's materials is much better than MKII. e.g. sunroof is make of laminated glass but just tampered glass in MKII. rear ventilated disc in MKI but just solid disc in MKII.....

• 2 weeks later...
hey,guys.

hi I own a 1993 gs300 and have 136000mi only issues slow(maybe 1/4qt. every 3000mi) oil leak rear main gasket. Also they are crap in the snow. otherwise outstanding value.way better then camry

hey,guys.

hi I own a 1993 gs300 and have 136000mi only issues slow(maybe 1/4qt. every 3000mi) oil leak rear main gasket. Also they are crap in the snow. otherwise outstanding value.way better then camry

I have to agree. I have a 95 GS and they suck in the snow. I do have a few issues with mine that can easily be resolved with a good technician and some serious coin.

• 2 weeks later...
hey,guys.

I have to agree. I have a 95 GS and they suck in the snow. I do have a few issues with mine that can easily be resolved with a good technician and some serious coin.

I also own a 1993gs300 and also have he rear main leak i got the car 50000miles ago and had one thing go wrong ,front axel $600. As far as I am concerned the 93 gs is by far a better vehicle then a newer toyota they are not in the same league.better style more power more of every thing. Having said that a honda accord is by far a better car then a toyota camary.

• 3 months later...

I was just reading you post and I was thinking about selling my GS 300 so I can get a LS. I have a 94 GS black. I'm asking for anything between 4k-5k. it has 248,456 miles on it becaus i'm drive from Alabama to NYC alot but the car never fails. if you are interested feel free to email me at gmcclintock@hotmial.com

hey,guys.