Parking Brake Light Is Coming On While Driving

Laberty

Hi all,

We've had some really cold weather up here in Toronto lately and I am not sure if it has something to do with my parking brake light coming on while i'm driving. I have a 2000 ES 300 with 120,000 km's (not sure how many miles that is). It has never happened before and I know for sure that the brake is totally released. Has anyone had any similar problems or does anyone know what the problem could be... all help appreciated... thanks in advance..

this light, the BRAKE light, will also come on when the level of fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is low. Now, even though your actual level may be above the MIN mark, it may be low enought to trigger the float switch.

I would add a little new DOT 3 brake fluid to this reservoir. This should prevent the light from illuminating.

Toyota and Lexus have very sensitive float switches.

Be very careful of this fluid as it will strip paint off of any metal.

steviej

Does the dash brake light also come on if you have a problem with the ABS?

mine comes on every once in a while when i hit a bump, there si an electrical connection down there that seems to be loose inside the console. one day, when im annoyed and it bothers me enough, ill rip it out and change/fix it...

just tap the ebrake handle and it should go away.

oh wait...you have an '02, so you have a foot brake, never mind. B)

thanks stevie, i will try that.. cause i noticed it happens more when i go around a curvey road or a slight uphill... and the abs light does not come on.. thanks for the help guys, i will let you know if it gets fixed.

this light, the BRAKE light, will also come on when the level of fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is low.  Now, even though your actual level may be above the MIN mark, it may be low enought to trigger the float switch.

I would add a little new DOT 3 brake fluid to this reservoir.  This should prevent the light from illuminating. 

Toyota and Lexus have very sensitive float switches.

steviej

I agree 100%. I had the exact same problem with my 2001. Prior to then I was not aware that the brake fluid had anything to do with the parking brake. I thought it was a mechanical linkage. We live and learn. Carl

thanks guys! that was the trick. the lexus sensors must be really sensitive, cause i only used a little of the dot 3 fluid, the bottle is still full! and the manual says i shouldn't use an opened bottle. there goes $5 down the tube.. anyways, thanks again.

The E break warning light kept coming on, on my sister's 98 Camry XLE V6 with 4 disc breaks. I dont know if it would be the same situation as the Lexus, but since the two cars are pretty much the same...it might be the same problem. But we brought the Camry into a Toyota dealer and the mechanics said the breaks had less than 15% left of break pads. He said that was the cause of hte E-break light coming on...not the break fluid. I was suprised to know that the pads were worn out so bad, the breaks never started to make any noise. So it could just be that your break pads are worn out. Have that get checked too!