Mobil1 In A Gs430?

hey all,

if I get myself a 2002 GS430, what oil should I use in there?

will mobil1 work? or will I have problems with it? (won't leak out of seals,etc)

what about using 0w30 in the winter and 5w30/10w30 in the summer?

Also, on the transmission - its toyota type-T fluid right? can I mix in some amsoil or?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all,

if I get myself a 2002 GS430, what oil should I use in there?

will mobil1 work? or will I have problems with it? (won't leak out of seals,etc)

what about using 0w30 in the winter and 5w30/10w30 in the summer?

Also, on the transmission - its toyota type-T fluid right? can I mix in some amsoil or?

I use Mobil1 5W30 currently, but after doing much research, I will be switching to Amsoil (ASL) 5W30 for many reasons, but mainly for the much better protection & longer drain intervals it offers. Use the Amsoil oil filter as well.

You can also (safely) use Amsoil synthetic ATF as it is compatable with the Toyota Type IV transmission fluid.

Use the correct grade of engine oil that Lexus recomments in your owners manual & on the oil cap of your GS. The 0W30 grade is over kill unless your in Antartica or the North Pole as the Amsoil will protect down to -60.

check out & compare specifications for both oils at www.mobil1.com & www.amsoil.com

Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

what oil should I use in there? what about using 0w30 in the winter?  Also, on the transmission can I mix in some amsoil or?

Just continue using the same fluids, lubes and filters Lexus originally installed in the car the day it left the factory. Boring? yes, but it's risk free way to maintain your car.

what oil should I use in there? what about using 0w30 in the winter?  Also, on the transmission can I mix in some amsoil or?

Just continue using the same fluids, lubes and filters Lexus originally installed in the car the day it left the factory. Boring? yes, but it's risk free way to maintain your car.

I hardly agree.

Messer: you're fine with the Mobil 1 or the Amsoil for the engine. Like was mentioned above, I'd only use the 0 weight if I were in some constantly, seriously cold area's.

I won't argue about whether Mobil 1 is as good as or better than Amsoil but let's just say that they both are at the very top of the list, one can hardly be much better than the other.

For the tranny, I keep hearing Lexus mechanics on these boards say to stick to the Toyota Type IV fluid, not to go to someone elses synthetic tranny fluid.

They have mentioned it's perfectly fine for the engine and even differential, but, they recommend against synthetic for the Toyota/ELexus tranny.

Good luck man!

you guys have used amsoil in your transmission/torque converter without problems?

Can I use just amsoil or do I have to mix it with the Type T fluid?

The synthetic Amsoil ATF is in fact compatable with the Toyota Type IV fluid & that includes if it's mixed. Here is a link to the amsoil site that mentions Toyota type IV. Enjoy! I'll be switching to the Amsoil ATF for my 01 ES....I have already spoke with an engineer at Amsoil with my concens about it & for the record, there has not been one claim (according to him) of any transmission failure when an owner used Amsoil ATF in their tranny because it is campatable & meets ALL requirements & then some that the Toyota Type IV fluid does! B) ;) I'll also be using it when I change my power steering fluid. :D

There is even a write up about cleaning the filter mesh when performing a 100% fluid change! Which is recommended from time to time. B)

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

toyota is sick, same fluid for the brakes, power steering, and transmission. thats awesome.

i wish toyota had full synth fluids though, less wear and much better, especially when its cold out (if any of you live in south eastern ontario or the mid-west/easterm US, you know what I am taking about)

If I get the car, I am going to give mobil1 a try. (worked wonders in my 4 stroke snowblower, no more black smoke)

for the brakes, I am going to use the toyota stuff. am not messing with the breaks.

Power steering I will probably change too, again toyota fluid. Has anyone used amsoil in there?

differential is getting mobil1 or royal purple gear oil.

I was going to do a full transmission flush, torque converter and all. I was going to mix the toyota fluid with amsoil. But if Amsoil will work 100% on its own, I may just use that.

has anyone here done a full flush and used just amsoil (no toyota fluid) in both the torque converter and the transmission without any problems?

toyota is sick, same fluid for the brakes, power steering, and transmission. thats awesome.

i wish toyota had full synth fluids though, less wear and much better, especially when its cold out (if any of you live in south eastern ontario or the mid-west/easterm US, you know what I am taking about)

If I get the car,  I am going to give mobil1 a try.  (worked wonders in my 4 stroke snowblower, no more black smoke)

for the brakes, I am going to use the toyota stuff.  am not messing with the breaks.

Power steering I will probably change too, again toyota fluid. Has anyone used amsoil in there?

differential is getting mobil1 or royal purple gear oil.

I was going to do a full transmission flush, torque converter and all. I was going to mix the toyota fluid with amsoil. But if Amsoil will work 100% on its own, I may just use that.

has anyone here done a full flush and used just amsoil (no toyota fluid) in both the torque converter and the transmission without any problems?

FYI.....the Toronto Amsoil distribution center is actually located in Mississauga mess just so you know. My next 100% tranny flush will be with Amsoil & same goes for the power steering. I'll also be using Amsoil's oil filter after I use up the last k & n oil filter & Mobil 1 filter.

I've used Valvoline synpower dot 3 & 4 brake fluid in the past for other vehicles & it's good stuff. B)

I just did the first oil change on my GS yesterday, as when I bought it in November the dealer had just done one. Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic, just like I have been using in the LS since I bought it. I also drained the trans and used Toyota Type IV in that. The engine is noticeably quieter, and the trans seems about the same, although like me I am sure it is happier with a bit of new fluid. I tend to drain the trans every second or third engine oil change - another $10.00 worth of fluids, and maybe 10 minutes of time.

I have used Mobil 1 since the first 5W-20 came out in the late seventies. I won't use anything else. I even got my pal to let me convert his 69 Ferrari Daytona to Mobil 1 15W-50, and we are both pleased with the results in that engine, which must be one of the biggest leakers in the world. It doesn't leak on Mobil.

I also don't use synthetic to achieve longer drain intervals, and Mobil advises against that as well. Follow the manufacturers intervals, or shorten them, but don't go longer. Both my Lexus get the oil changed at 5000 kilometres, or about 3000 miles, with a Toyota filter.

I've used Valvoline synpower dot 3 & 4 brake fluid in the past for other vehicles & it's good stuff. 

If you end up with a brake fluid leak in one of the expensive hydraulic components of your Lexus brake system sometime during the next 10-15 years then you may understand why, for more than 30 years, Toyota / Lexus / Honda / Acura / Nissan /Infiniti all have recommend ONLY DOT 3 brake fluid and preferably their own brands of proprietary brake fluid.

Synthetics are so new and DOT 3 has really been the only thing available in america. Dot 5 the first synthetic, which is garbage was available and the standard for awhile in england and overseas. However with the new advances like DOT 5.1 which is standard on the new mercedes or BMW's. You can't deny the new synthetics as you have no proof to make statements from nor do the auto manufactures. <_<

Synthetics are so new and DOT 3 has really been the only thing available in america. Dot 5 the first synthetic, which is garbage was available and the standard for awhile in england and overseas. However with the new advances like DOT 5.1 which is standard on the new mercedes or BMW's.  You can't deny the new synthetics as you have no proof to make statements from nor do the auto manufactures. <_<

DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid has been available in the USA for more than 10 years. In the official Toyota Technician Brake Systems Training manual, Toyota acknowledges the existence of DOT 5 and DOT 4 Brake fluids, but recommends only the use DOT 3 fluid. And the brake master cylinder reservoir cap of all Lexus brake systems says "Use ONLY DOT 3 fluid"

Although the boiling point of DOT 3 fluid is lower than DOT 4 fluid, DOT 3 fluid preserves the life of the hydraulic seals in the brake system better than DOT 4 fluid and that's why the makers of the most durable cars in the world (Toyota/Honda/Nissan) all recommend only DOT 3 fluid.

Durability is not a priority with the European and American car makers so it's no surprize some of them recommend DOT 4 or 5.x fluids.

I just did the first oil change on my GS yesterday, as when I bought it in November the dealer had just done one.  Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic, just like I have been using in the LS since I bought it.  I also drained the trans and used Toyota Type IV in that.  The engine is noticeably quieter, and the trans seems about the same, although like me I am sure it is happier with a bit of new fluid.  I tend to drain the trans every second or third engine oil change - another $10.00 worth of fluids, and maybe 10 minutes of time.

I have used Mobil 1 since the first 5W-20 came out in the late seventies.  I won't use anything else.  I even got my pal to let me convert his 69 Ferrari Daytona to Mobil 1 15W-50, and we are both pleased with the results in that engine, which must be one of the biggest leakers in the world.  It doesn't leak on Mobil.

I also don't use synthetic to achieve longer drain intervals, and Mobil advises against that as well.  Follow the manufacturers intervals, or shorten them, but don't go longer.  Both my Lexus get the oil changed at 5000 kilometres, or about 3000 miles, with a Toyota filter.

Mobil 1 is good stuff.....I won't say it isn't as I've been using it for years myself. After doing much research however........I have discovered Amsoil is just that much better overall in every category that is tested to try & get an engine oil to break down or start to show wear on an engine. If one wants the VERY best engine protection available (I'm extremely fussy what fluids I use in my cars).......there are only 2 choices......Amsoil OR Redline. Redline is harder to come by in Canada, so I will be switching to Amsoil.

BTW, the owners manual in my 01 ES states that tecnically 6 months or 8,000 kms (5,000 miles) between oil changes......but becasue of the sludge issue (even though I use synthetic) I change it more frequently than that as a preventitive measure. B)

VGR, I won't own my ES 10 - 15 years from now & there has been NO evidence that the Valvoline synpower dot 3 & 4 (which meets all requirements of OE & then some) that it could cause a fluid leak. ;)

Synthetics are so new and DOT 3 has really been the only thing available in america. Dot 5 the first synthetic, which is garbage was available and the standard for awhile in england and overseas. However with the new advances like DOT 5.1 which is standard on the new mercedes or BMW's.  You can't deny the new synthetics as you have no proof to make statements from nor do the auto manufactures. <_<

DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid has been available in the USA for more than 10 years. In the official Toyota Technician Brake Systems Training manual, Toyota acknowledges the existence of DOT 5 and DOT 4 Brake fluids, but recommends only the use DOT 3 fluid. And the brake master cylinder reservoir cap of all Lexus brake systems says "Use ONLY DOT 3 fluid"

Although the boiling point of DOT 3 fluid is lower than DOT 4 fluid, DOT 3 fluid preserves the life of the hydraulic seals in the brake system better than DOT 4 fluid and that's why the makers of the most durable cars in the world (Toyota/Honda/Nissan) all recommend only DOT 3 fluid.

Durability is not a priority with the European and American car makers so it's no surprize some of them recommend DOT 4 or 5.x fluids.

As i said in my first post DOT 5 is garbage, not even used in Europe anymore. I agree with the DOT 3 & DOT 4 points you've brought up. However, you've really said nothing about 5.1 . I don't believe Mercedes or BMW thinks that durability is not a priority nor would they use something that wouldn't provide maximum benefit or be compatible in their brake systems. Unless you've got some facts to point to with 5.1 not being compatible or causing problems then their is no discussion. <_<

As i said in my first post DOT 5 is garbage, not even used in Europe anymore. I agree with the DOT 3 & DOT 4 points you've brought up. However, you've really said nothing about 5.1 . I don't believe Mercedes or BMW thinks that durability is not a priority nor would they use something that wouldn't provide maximum benefit or be compatible in their brake systems. Unless you've got some facts to point to with 5.1 not being compatible or causing problems then their is no discussion. <_<

It was another member that brought up dot 5 brake fluid.....I never mentioned anything about it. :blink:

It was another member that brought up dot 5 brake fluid.....I never mentioned anything about it. :blink:

That's why this reply was meant for VGR, I don't see LEXUSFREAK anywhere in this reply? <_<

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant  site.

oil tests

There is a similar type on bob the oil guy as well. :D I have no reason to suspect that Amsoil is making false claims.......they could be sued huge! Bottom line, Amsoil trumps Mobil 1 B)

A thread on bob the oil guy also backs that up which as far as I know.....is also independent. ;)

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant  site.

oil tests

Independent site? Not hardly. It's owned, administered and moderated buy a bunch of specialty lube and additive salesmen who don't have to make sales calls to industrial businesses anymore because nowadays they can all just sit at home at their computers and run the forum to generate consumer sales of $25 a bottle additives, $7 a quart motor oils and $200 oil filter bypass systems. They also kiss up to Walmart's Supertech labeled products because they hope to convince Walmart to someday start buying and stocking their specialty products.